Where do I find gamemodesconfig.xml?

Started by nexor, September 05, 2011, 04:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexor

Ok guys can I ask a dumb question???     where does one find.................\Far Cry 2\modding\mypatch\engine\gamemodes\gamemodesconfig.xml........or does this only apply to Steam downloaded versions?

Art Blade

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers, mate  :)

The directory you've marked green will be created once you ran the modding tool for the first time, in the FC2 folder. I called it "Far Cry 2" because here it is "Far Cry 2" :) However, even Steam has a FC2 directory, it may be in a different location, though.

The rest of the path (engine...) has to be created manually.

In the player.xml I'm going to try to make all mercs in desperate need of eyeglasses  :-()

Original Values:

Quote<object type="SensorySystem">
                <object type="FOVParameters">
                  <object type="FOVMultipliers">
                    <value name="fPreCombatMultiplier" type="Float">4</value>
                    <value name="fCombatMultiplier" type="Float">4</value>
                    <value name="fPostCombatMultiplier" type="Float">4</value>
                    <value name="fPlayerInVehicleMultiplier" type="Float">2</value>
                    <value name="fNightTimeMultiplier" type="Float">0.5</value>
                    <value name="fSniperLengthMultiplier" type="Float">6</value>
                    <value name="fSniperAngleMultiplier" type="Float">0.15</value>
                  </object>

As you can see, the night time multiplier is 0.5 as opposed to 4 for the day.. Let's create a "permanight" for them by replacing  those 4s with 0.5 :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

That wasn't enough. By the way, always check for multiple instances. Usually these entries exist dozens of times so you best use CTRL-H (find and replace) to edit these. Also, even if we want the same value in all instances, the original values might have several different values. So check for the string name first and see what values there are.

This is the case in the following example. We will find different settings for all types of environment, in this case Jungle, but there is Savannah and more, and they have different Length and Angle values both for the FocusFOV and the PeripheralFOV.

Here is what I have changed them to (all existing instances in player.xml) Let's see if we get those mercs to develop a sudden severe case of myopia  :-()

Quote<object type="JungleFOV">
                    <object type="FocusFOV">
                      <value name="fLength" type="Float">10</value>
                      <value name="fAngle" type="Float">30</value>
                    </object>
                    <object type="PeripheralFOV">
                      <value name="fLength" type="Float">10</value>
                      <value name="fAngle" type="Float">45</value>
                    </object>
                  </object>
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Still no effect. >:((  ???? :'(

Some things, like that "autoreload" don't seem to w%&k the way we expect them to. <shrugs>  :-(

There is something else: Some values are stored in the savegames and "wear off" slowly. I remember having changed my jump height without effect but left it changed. Then, kind of "hours later" I suddenly jumped across a building  ^+-+ So maybe some effects w@&k with delay.

I reckon the only way to find out for sure is to start a new career to see if something behaves differently -- but I currently don't have time for that ;)

Art Blade

Well, maybe it does w%&k. I'm sneaking around at cattle Xing and mercs should have spotted me where I am but they haven't. Maybe my expectation was too high; I had hoped they'd literally turn a blind eye on me but once they've discovered you, their hive mind kicks in and that's that.

The values in the excerpt above at least seem to add to the stealthy camouflage suit that, as we all know, doesn't make you invisible, either.  ;)

TheStranger

I only read that you have to reload the savegame for the changes to become active, but of course I tried that already with the autoreload. But maybe we have to start a new game?

Art Blade

The remark about some values being stored in savegames and having to wait until they get reset is from the mod program's author Rick "Gibbed" but he didn't mention having to start a new game for the changes to kick in. That is just an assumption of mine.

By the way, I think the body hit multiplier generally affect the range and perhaps power of all weapons. I have set mine to 8.0 at the moment and changed the range and damage of weapons mercs may use to 1.0 (lower than the default). Now I'm playing at in-game night time, started a merc war at Cock Fights and a merc there fired a flare into the sky.

That flare almost disappeared high in the sky. Usually flares go like 10-15 metres up but that one looked like twice as high. And that caused indeed a patrol to show up immediately. No wonder, that flare was visible across the entire map  ^-^

Tags:
🡱 🡳