Merc wars and various settings

Started by Art Blade, September 01, 2011, 05:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I've stood before a switched-on TV set of those, I was indeed pleased.  :-()

On topic:

I tried merc wars at Cock Fights in Leboa, with body hit multipliers set to 8.0:

- an ammo crate set on fire instantly kills nearby mercs who catch stray bullets
- mercs kill each other almost instantly.

:-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on September 01, 2011, 05:29:59 PM
...I tried merc wars at Cock Fights in Leboa, with body hit multipliers set to 8.0:

- an ammo crate set on fire instantly kills nearby mercs who catch stray bullets
- mercs kill each other almost instantly.

:-D

Cool - even that level of behavior is preserved.  I assume setting the body hit multipliers to 8.0 affects how your weapons kill?  If you wanted to see longer action and set it to vanilla, can you set the effectiveness of your 6P9?

Art Blade

yes and yes. But: (oh, I only tested on Easy)

As far as I understand this weapon thing by now there is a chance that too high values won't w%&k as we expected them to: I used these body parts multipliers in this order and experienced what follows:

1) copied the MP Hardcore mode settings and used them for the regular SP setup > more effective weapons on my end but I thought hm, did I always take that much damage on Easy? However, no instant kills, so rise value..

2) set all values to 12 for fun and giggles > even more effective (one-shot-kills) but still wounded mercs, I seemed to take considerable damage. It looked as if mercs were able to shoot through (thin) walls. Meanwhile I had modded all weapons individually (like, "damage 5" and so forth) and I was now sure mercs had stronger weapons, too. Experimented with mortar 0 / 0.1 (so the mortar guy would be harmless)

3) set all to 20 >still wounded mercs, still not always instant kills. And I had become addicted to syringes due to the constant heavy damage I took during simple fights, so something was "wrong"

4) set all to 1 > ahh, now it was more like it used to be. Meanwhile I had set all weapons individually to 1 (except fire rate, I left that at default value for most weapons). Later I set those weapons only available to players to 5 (so I had stronger weapons than they). Additionally I modded the manuals to buff any weapon the player could use even more (as long as the corresponding manuals were bought).

5) set all to 8. Now it looks cool. Kind of hardcore mercs but my own weapons are even more hardcore.  :-()

Summary: Anything you mod is global unless player-specific (e.g. if you mod the player.xml it won't affect mercs or if you mod weapons mercs won't ever use, like the AS50 or the MP-5 or 6P9). So modding the body parts hit multiplier affects mercs, too. If they hit one another, they will instantly kill while they cannot instantly kill a player (but do significantly more damage than usual). The player apparently cannot set the game in a way that mercs will always die by the first bullet they take. Chances are they get wounded no matter what you mod.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TheStranger

Haha unless you use the AS50 - no wounded so far :D

Btw. can also mod the maximum health you have. It's in the curves.xml under libraries. There you have entries like max.health.easy or easy-health.bar which sets the values for your overall health and for each healthbar, which should be in the end the same values I think. So when you wanna be nearly godlike: 500 for each bar = 2500 max.health ;)

PZ

Excellent posts guys - I feel like I can go in to make the modifications even without having any experience installing it yet.  This is going to be fun  ;) :-X

PZ

Interestingly, I cannot view the link TheStranger supplied any longer - I now see an error message telling me that I need to register for the site.  It is difficult to believe that people would actually pay $10 to visit a forum.

It's a good think I had already downloaded Gibbed's tools, and now we have what is in my opinion a much finer set of instructions/tips than I ever saw on that site.

TheStranger

I think I read somewhere that you can only see the content of this forum for a few months if you aren't registered - which is completely weird, because I don't see any advantages in registering in this forum?!

Art Blade

Indeed, pointless.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I read a readme regarding those tools stating that they may be distributed freely as long as they don't claim it was their own property/original program. They may even be modified by anyone as long as they claim it was the original. The author appreciates it if he is credited. In that case we may even host those tools on our site.

PZ

Good idea, I read that bit as well.  :-X

gibbed

Quote from: TheStranger on September 03, 2011, 12:54:43 AM
I think I read somewhere that you can only see the content of this forum for a few months if you aren't registered - which is completely weird, because I don't see any advantages in registering in this forum?!
I'm not going to try to sell the forum to you, but the $10 tag generally keeps the riffraff out and keeps the forum operating. The Games forum will generally become unviewable to the public every now and then, which is probably what happened now.

Binnatics

Can you also adjust the number of spawning mercs near a merc war? That should give great cinematics >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Gibbed, thanks for the info regarding why that forum locked us out.

Binnatics, if I'm not mistaken, some of the merc stuff is hard-coded (cannot mod that) but I found entries that may affect whether or not mercs start wars. There are entries that assign mercs to BLUE and RED and some stuff like that, as in factions. If we mess with that, we might cause the game to spawn mercs where it usually spawns them but we might be able to change the faction they belong to.

In other words, if we manage the game to spawn UFFL guys in APR territory, there will be assault and battery every time (and we might arrive late and see only dead mercs there)  ^-^

PZ

Maybe make all ATP mercs part of the red faction and all GP mercs part of the blue faction  :-()

Binnatics

That could maybe cause interesting stuff if we should be able to use that in the villages with the no-fire-zones. That could give a massive fight, with endless spawning  :-()
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

That sure would make it a tough place to pick up a mission!  :-()

Art Blade

:-()

Unfortunately I don't have time to check it out myself right now. But that's something I'd like to do -- play around with red and blue assignments :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳