Incapacitate the mortar guys

Started by Art Blade, August 30, 2011, 12:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

cool  :-() :-X

By the way, the armoured vehicle isn't indestructible, it just won't degenerate (so you keep your headlights even if you shoot at them for half an hour). Strange enough, I experimented with it and noticed bullets go straight through the wind screen into the seats or, if you shoot across, into the road on the other side. You'll see a lot of bullet holes in the screen, too, which will disappear. The fact that I didn't get killed while I watched the ATP shoot at me is probably due to the fact that they seem to aim at the engine (you see a lot of sparks on the bonnet when bullets hit there) most of the time. However, it is a cool gimmick   ^-^

4) Incapacitate the Mortar guy(s) and what to think about if modding individual weapons

You have seen how to change values for individual weapons. If you change them, they'll apply to you and the mercs who use that weapon (I was already wondering if the game indeed seemed to have become more brutal with regard to the hits I took from mercs with particular weapons I modded, like the Desert Eagle). So if you take that into account, my conclusion (and advice) is to only mod weapons mercs don't have access to, like the 6P9 and the MP5 and so forth.

However, now that we know changes have effects on mercs, too, we can exploit that.. and the only weapon I know no-one likes is the mortar and we all hate the mortar merc sitting on that isle in Bowa (and perhaps the Dogon Village mortar guy). Now what if we tinkered with it a bit and turned it into something that whistles and gives a loud bang but is as harmless as a water pistol?  >:D

The mortar needs something >0 to w%&k, I used damage 0 and still it dished out damage, but with 0.1 a round that hit you is as funny as if a fly had just bumped into you. Only the bang is slightly more noticeable :-D

"damage" value="0.1"
"range" value="0.1"
"accuracy" value="0.1"
"reliability" value="0.1"
"firerate" value="0.1"

Have fun  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

lol PZ, I just wanted to edit your article but you were even quicker :) Careful with edits that have taken place in the meantime, like I changed the green to limegreen  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on August 30, 2011, 12:55:29 PM
lol PZ, I just wanted to edit your article but you were even quicker :) Careful with edits that have taken place in the meantime, like I changed the green to limegreen  :)
^+-+ we do sometimes interfere with each other's posting!  By the way, if I leave out anything, please either edit the article or let me know something needs to be changed/added.  ;)

Art Blade

Sure thing  :) (I'll edit it if you missed something)

I was thinking particularly about you and the mortar guy, you've got to love that mod  ^+-+

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on August 30, 2011, 12:52:03 PM
...The mortar needs something >0 to w%&k, I used damage 0 and still it dished out damage, but with 0.1 a round that hit you is as funny as if a fly had just bumped into you. Only the bang is slightly more noticeable :-D

^+-+ :-\  Too bad we can't turn the mortar round into something that explodes upon first firing so the guy would take himself out with a soul-satisfying "arrrrgggg..."

Art Blade

^+-+ Still funny enough, I boar.. err, boated to the isle near the brewery to see if the mortar guy could actually kill me regardless. Sure enough, I heard the characteristic pop and whistle followed by a massive yellow marker cloud that cloaked my boat and just after that the live round came sailing down on me and WHAM.. nothing else. I could hardly see the map I was looking at due to the smoke but no harm done  ^+-+

I edited the article a bit, added and modified the little tutorial.  :)

PZ

^+-+

Looks great!  This modding business is going to be loads of fun and will keep me busy until FC3 arrives.  I love modding and one of the greatest laments I had about FC2 was the inability to mod the game - now we can.

I winder if we can change the behavior of fire - make it burn longer/more widespread.  ????

Art Blade

tell me where the parameters are and I'll tell you if we can change them.  :-D

PZ

Unfortunately I do not have access to the .xml at the moment.  Do you have a vanilla copy of the file you can compress and upload to our downloads section?  Might be useful to have a copy in case one of becomes overzealous and ruins our existing copy.  :-()

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on August 29, 2011, 03:26:00 PM
...I checked your links and noticed most of the stuff is related to map editing (modding for the editor)...

Yes, as I dug further into the thread I realized that as well.  However, the interesting outcome is that the author is the developer of what he calls the AI mod, which adds mercs to your home-created maps.  Evidently you can create maps in the editor on which you can place mercs.  Sounds intriguing, but I'm not sure the mod author has completed it to the point where if is fully functional (or if he even plans to).  Here is the link to the AI mod.

Art Blade

good to know. :)

About "the" XML.. there are loads of them (and other file types). Basically you can't really mess it all up because the regular 1.03 patch creates those two patch files we keep modding. If everything goes totally wrong, just remove the patch-related files and supposedly you'll get a regular auto-update.

As to the XML files, some are small enough (like 500kb, such as the gamemodesconfig.xml) to almost paste here let alone upload, some are so massive a text editor takes its time to alter values in them (like the player.xml which is roughly 11MB).

That means I was rather cheeky to ask you to "just" tell me the parameters for the fire-related stuff.. but it also makes it clear that you cannot "just" mod anything let alone on the fly.  :)

PZ

I see - will just have to wait until I get a chance to do a bit of examination myself.  Soon, I hope, because I'm excited to discover new things!  ;)

TheStranger

Quote from: PZ on August 30, 2011, 01:21:28 PM
I winder if we can change the behavior of fire - make it burn longer/more widespread.  ????

Yeah that is one major thing which I want to change, maybe I'll have time to search for it tomorrow. A guy in the forum asked for that but - surprise - the only answers were related to other poo poo things  ::) ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳