Starting point: lumber yard

Started by PZ, August 02, 2011, 01:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

In all the times I've played FC2, I end up at the safe house north of the cock fight arena when I escape from Pala.  This time I started a new play through intending to do fragger's method of just playing the main missions.  However, I wanted to start out at the lumber yard, so I went down the stairs in the hotel (I have always jumped out of the second floor window in prior plays) and saw the Church, which established my bearings.  Next, I ran down the street toward the road leading to Mike's and passed out as expected.

When I awoke, I met Walter Purfoy, and after exchanging our pleasantries, I grabbed the rocket launcher and other weapons.  Purfoy then wanted me to go to a safe house to eliminate a couple of bad guys, which I was glad to do - this time the safe house I ended up attacking was the one directly north of the lumber yard.  My preferred method of kill - vehicle.  I ran them both down.  So far two kills and not a single shot fired.

Next was the direction to scope out the fresh fish area, which I am about to do.  :-()

As an aside, I started completely from scratch, and enjoyed watching the cut scene because I already know the path from the airport to Pala so well - kind of like visiting your old neighborhood.

The music is still fantastic as are the sound effects - I'm seriously going to miss the fine details of being in FC2's Africa even when FC3 comes out.

JRD

Yeah... I`m a bit sad they moved away from Africa too... the setting was perfect. I remember reading about FC3 long ago, much before those new gameplay vids comes out, and I`m pretty sure someone said FC3 would still be in Africa... I felt so relieved  :-\\

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

ninzza

When FC3 comes out, it's so amazing that you guys won't miss Africa anymore :)

Art Blade

Agree. If FC3 is a really good game then it won't matter at all.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I`m fine with the island and I`m quite sure FC3 won`t let us all down.

I just think the African setting was a great choice as it allowed for varied scenarios - savannah, jungle, desert etc - exotic animals like zebras and antelopes and the music was so fantastic being very African that it all created a very immersive atmosphere, a breath of fresh air amongst shooters nowadays  8)

I`ve played many games in islands and jungle settings... including FC1... but just this one in Africa was unique!  :-X

RedRaven

I guess at least with the island there will be no more passing out for getting to close to the edge of reality / game-map.

Just keep telling myself - It's got be good, it's got to be good, it's got to be good
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

It`s the same if you try to swim away... they`ll have a pet shark to chew you up and spit back onshore  :-D

PZ

I'm sure that FC3 will have us all thrilled - I've no doubt about that after seeing the videos so far, but I'm with JRD - the music and varied settings in FC2 are really unique.  I like the idea of being in a heavily wooded area, and then transitioning to savannah, then desert sand.

One thing I really hope for - that the music is on par with FC2 - I've experienced way too much head-banging music in games these days.  :'(

ninzza

I agree, I really love the music of FC2. It's awesome  :-X But from 2nd playthrough I turned it off to feel more immersed.

JRD

So did I but then, after almost one year playing with the music off, I saw a video of a guy (maybe one of our flash members) playing with music switched on and it hit me... that`s one thing that sucked me into FC2 the first time I played it... I think part of the immersion comes from the music setting the mood for playing!

PZ

I also played with the music off for a while, and it was interesting to use your auditory sense to help detect threat in your close vicinity.  I have heard that some people had problems with the audio directionality in FC2, but for the most part, when I wear headphones, I can turn toward the direction of someone talking, or their walking noises.

In the long run however, I turned the music back on because it seems to fit the game so well.  ;)

Art Blade

Many games support 5.1 surround sound which I enjoy using speakers. I have never been fond of headphones so I don't use them. Exception: live voice chat only which means if possible I rout the voice through the headphones while the game keeps using the speakers. So most of the time I switch music off unless I'm just exploring like when free-roaming in a vehicle, then I'd switch it on. If I switch it on, most of the time I have game music replaced with music of my own choice  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I don't think they will put head-banging music in the next FarCry. African music is a pool so big to fish in, and it's one of the characteristics of the game. They won't spoil it  ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Just finished the barge mission and visited the weapon shop to purchase the dart rifle.  Yes, that's right, I did not use the dart for the entire Leboa set of missions.

Now it's time to wreak havoc in Bowa  >:D

PS: when in Mike's Leboa at the end of the northern missions, I threw a grenade from behind the bar toward my buddies - they died and Michele even threw through the air and landed a tangled mess next to me.  It will be funny when I see her resurrected body at the landing site.  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳