As promised... better late than never... pics of the new rig

Started by Dweller_Benthos, June 26, 2011, 07:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

So, here's some pics, which I took a month ago and finally got around to posting.

The outside of the case is pretty plain, none of that junk they tend to put on them nowadays, no neon, etc, just a really sturdy (and heavy!) case, all metal.

[smg id=4769]

The top is where the connections are, as the motherboard mounts 90° from the normal orientation, this allows heat to flow up, which is more natural, as heat rises.

The inside overall view

[smg id=4770]

You can see the two video cards on the left, CPU on the right, pretty standard stuff.

Close up of the SLI'd nvidia 460's and X-Fi titanium sound card (7.1 surround, though I only have 5.1 speakers at the moment)

[smg id=4771]

An overall look from the other direction, toward the bottom of the case, where you can see the three giant cooling fans that feed air from the grills on the bottom of the case up through.

[smg id=4772]

Hard drive bays on the right, which are easy in, just pop the drive into the holder, slide it in, hook it up. Currently, there is one hot swappable bay, though I doubt I'll ever hot swap, but I could get more hookups and hot swap them all if I wanted.

Now to just get the thing paid off, luckily, I bought it through the vendor at w@&k, on the company account, and I just pay my boss back as much as I can handle, no interest. Mighty nice of him.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Cool.  :-X
Well done :) And yes, nice company and boss :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Wow, that is going to scream when it comes to playing games  :-X

Cool new avatar, AB - reminds me of Fallout

Art Blade

That atomic radiation warning symbol is the classic Duke Nukem icon :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Sweet machine there, D_B :-X :-X

I don't suppose there are any vacancies at your place of w@&k...? It'd be a hell of a commute for me though ;D

Fiach

Just another step on Dwellers road to world domination  8)

Looks cool mate, nice pics  :-X
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dweller_Benthos

Thanks, yes, I'll be taking over the world shortly, please stand by.....

When playing Duke or Crysis 2 or even Minecraft, and those two vid cards start to crank up, it's like sitting next to a space heater on full blast.

Fragger, just get ahold of  portal gun and I'll see what I can do here.... lol
D_B

Art Blade

Maybe there is a chance of checking the bios and/or vid card driver controlling the vents because it's not normal that they crank up all the time. Crysis maybe but not Minecraft.

Art Blade

Somehow this rig is inspiring.. finally you've got a title  :-D

Dweller_Benthos

LOL @ the new title, hehe

The vid cards only crank when playing games, at least as much as I would expect them too. I have everything in the video settings maxed out, like anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, volumetric shadows, whatever. And Minecraft is just a resource hog no matter what, so that's a given. Plus I get 400+ FPS on it. When it's not lagging, that is.
D_B

Art Blade

Alright  :) And, hehe, glad you like your title  :-D

mandru

Very nice system D_B.   :-X

When you rule the world, I'm between bumbling minion jobs so if you happen to have an opening become available...   :bow
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

mandru

Thanks Art, it's a little something I tossed together this morning inspired by your classic DN radiation symbol.   :)
- mandru

Art Blade

fragger

mandru

Thanks fragger.   :) :-X

It doesn't look nearly as menacing as I'd intended all shrunk up like that.  Here's a better look.   >:D

[smg id=3480]
- mandru

Art Blade

very nice :)

If you want to use that  as your avatar, I mean the size, then we do have a little thinking ahead of us. 2/3 of the board's real estate for an avatar and 1/3 for all the rest  is.. uncommon.  :-D

JRD

Indeed... the yellow line within the red circle makes a nice contrast to the gray pattern of everything else in the image... you can`t grasp that on a shrunken image!

The shadows add depth to it as well... nice w@&k, mate!  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mandru

Thanks JRD.  Art I'll stick with the thumbnail sized avatar to keep things simple.   ;)

**It looks like i uploaded that .jpeg to the senior member's archive limiting who can see it.   :D**
- mandru

Art Blade

I can change that if you want.. where would you like it to be instead?

Meanwhile, I'll just put it somewhere.  :-()

mandru

- mandru

mmosu

I hesistated to click on this topic . . . wasn't sure if I wanted to see pics of D_B's "rig"  :-D

Art Blade

in that context, "new" should have been even more alarming.  :-()

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳