After game thoughts and musings

Started by Dweller_Benthos, June 16, 2011, 10:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Finished it the other night, went back last night to get one of the achievements I missed, the breaking TVs one. Probably go back and get the other two or three I missed as well. Then on to Crysis2.

Anyway, an enjoyable game, though Steam says I only played 11.5 hours total. Kinda short. But the quality was very high, never was I tired of playing it. Only had to cheat once to look up an answer, and that was because I completely forgot about a button that reverses a funnel flow (one of the later chapter 8 puzzles). Oops. Of course, I'll probably have to look up answers to some of the other achievements, like the breaking TVs one, I didn't want to spend that kind of time on it.

Loved the one liners from all the characters, one of the reasons to play the game, I would think. The ending was cool, another fun moment when the companion cube gets thrown out after you, all singed, hehe. I wonder just how long she was sleeping? Looks to be a pretty empty world. If the first portal was taking place, as some surmise, during the same time frame as Half Life 2, this must be waaayy later.

One bit of trivia, don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere or not (probably has) when you enter the test chamber in chapter 8 where there's no exit, Wheatley looks for one to add, and tears apart the chamber next door to use that exit. If you look quick, you can see the tall bot from the coop game just running into the exit to get out of that chamber. Funny. Makes me want to play the coop game even more now, if only to get more time out of the game and see how many more funny one liners there are.

Favorite part of the game was where Wheatley drops you down the pit and you have to find your way back up, I loved all the old retro test chambers from throughout the history of the company, that was great. Filled in the details of how the portal gun works (only on surfaces coated with moon dust?) and where GlaDOS was created from. Nice touches.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Nice read, glad you enjoyed the game  :)

The MP offers one-liners (and longer monologues) by GLaDOS which are particularly funny if you either fail or tease her. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Good rundown D_B, I too am glad you liked it.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that bot, didn't spot that. I'm pretty sure nobody here has mentioned that, or if anyone even noticed it. Nice catch :-X

Binnatics

I did see that bot as well. He was just runing through a door somewhere higher and further away then you are at that moment. I thought I would actually meet them in single player mode when I saw him there, but that didn't happen.
Anyway, good review and good to know you're up to MP. It's great. Really funny oneliners and tough puzzles as well. You'll like it ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

Thanks everyone, I posted a pic of the bot running to the exit in the screenshots thread.
D_B

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Im really tempted to buy this now, nice post  :-X
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

RedRaven

Yet another title I have not got round to playing, got to say though it has been entertaining watching my son play it at times. A great example of a reasonably simple concept forged into a game that keeps him quite for hours on end.  Nice to look at graphically too, the humour in it always brings to mind Douglas Adams w@&k which is never a bad thing.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

fragger

Have a go sometime Red, it's quite a lot of fun :)

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, though I would definitely recommend playing the first one first, if you haven't already. I guess it's about $10 now, a real steal.
D_B

mmosu

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on July 20, 2011, 12:35:50 PM
Yeah, though I would definitely recommend playing the first one first, if you haven't already.

I second that  :-X

RedRaven

Well as had an hour or two free this afternoon decided to give it a try. Only to find that my kid has left the game at his mates :(

Better luck next time I guess.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Binnatics

You should really try Red, the game is absolutely brilliant.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

Had another playthrough of this yesterday. I still find it hugely entertaining even though I know how to get through it all, and a great visual treat. Not to mention very funny :-X

Art Blade

Binnatics

New !!FREE!! DLC coming out at 4 october. More Co-op missions and challengemode will be introduced; same as Portal 1 has :-X ^-^

Dweller_Benthos

Wow, over 700MB of new stuff, nice deal, it's updating for me right now.
D_B

Binnatics

Owww, F*** me, I've just started on a clean new installment of vista on my main rig :'(
Hope it will go smooth and quickly :-\\

PZ

Binnatics

Thanx PZ, well I'm back online again. Got some trouble downloading the updates though, but I guess it's solving itself right now ;)
I wish they designed windows in a way that it's no longer necessary to download hundreds of downloads, but just one total pack of updates to get your machine up-to-date again :-\\

PZ

They do - they call them service packs... oh wait... we need to patch the service packs with another service pack...  :-()

Binnatics

Indeed, endless patching and updating etc. etc. I think they could have designed that different. They know they sell certain basic systems with "for that specific time" all the existing updates.
Well, when you buy and install a pack like that, they should have just one "all in one" up-to-date-maker for that specific edition. It'll cost some w@&k for them, but it should be fair for me, and millions of other users.
Well, dreams I guess ^-^

@ D_B: Hey, how did you obtain the DLC? Steam is all over filled with commercials to get Portal 2 with 50% off (mid-week-deal) and free dlc etc. but I can't get any link to actually download the DLC???

deadman1

Quote from: Binnatics on October 05, 2011, 11:44:10 AM
Indeed, endless patching and updating etc. etc. I think they could have designed that different. They know they sell certain basic systems with "for that specific time" all the existing updates.
Well, when you buy and install a pack like that, they should have just one "all in one" up-to-date-maker for that specific edition. It'll cost some w%&k for them, but it should be fair for me, and millions of other users.
Well, dreams I guess ^-^

@ D_B: Hey, how did you obtain the DLC? Steam is all over filled with commercials to get Portal 2 with 50% off (mid-week-deal) and free dlc etc. but I can't get any link to actually download the DLC???

The DLC is downloaded automaticly when you fire up STEAM, just like any updates to your games.

Binnatics

Ah, I think at has slipped past my attention then... I've downloaded the entire game because of the new windows (and steam) install, so had to start from scratch.
I'll check it out :-X

Art Blade

We did it  :)

[smg id=3768 type=link align=center width=500 caption="Portal2 MP 010"]

Tags:
🡱 🡳