New Polytechnique

Started by fragger, May 13, 2011, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Here's a new way to make a nuisance of yourself at the Polytechnic. Approach from the west along the river (using the swamp boat from either the nearby safehouse or the weapon shop) and come ashore at the SW end of the compound, then sneak northwards using the boulders for cover until you can find this sloping ledge:

[smg id=3307 align=center width=400]
[smg id=3308 align=center width=400]

You can make your way up this. You'll find you can't simply walk up the ledge – you can get a little ways up, then there's a jump required to go further. But if you stick to the outside edge when you make your jump, it's fairly easy. Once past the jump, keep following the rocks as indicated until you can't go any further, then turn to your left:

[smg id=3309 align=center width=400]

You'll see this:

[smg id=3310 align=center width=400]

A jump up there will get you into this area:

[smg id=3311 align=center width=400]

From here you can range all along the north side of the Polytechnic. There are lots of rocks and ledges to get onto and give you some panoramic views of the place (but take care not to fall – some of the drops will result in a visit from your friendly neighbourhood rescue buddy). There's plenty of cover, and the mercs can't get to you:

[smg id=3312 align=center width=400]
[smg id=3313 align=center width=400]
  [smg id=3314 align=center width=400]

Choose your strife and let the mayhem begin!

[smg id=3315 align=center width=400]

mandru

:o   >:D  :-X

Nice find fragger.  Here's yet another thing I've gotta check out.   8)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

when you think you've seen it all.. nice one, fragger  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

That`s a great sniping spot, fragger... it deserves a slap on the back  :-X

I once thought about writing a "sniper`s spot list"... a list with tips to find and reach the best sniping spots in FC2 (I never actually did it  though :-[ ) and this would have a special chapter in the list  :-X  8)  >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Very nice, fragger - I just happened to complete  a buddy mission a while ago - wish I had known about this one, but I'll be sure to visit.  I enjoy the Polytechnic.

I wonder how many other gems like this are still to be discovered in FC2 - just when you think all has been seen and done, an OWG member comes up with a new one.

:-X

Art Blade

indeed.. I just so happened to find another buggy in Leboa that had been missing on the list until today. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Quote from: Art Blade on May 13, 2011, 01:47:00 PM
indeed.. I just so happened to find another buggy

Which one did we miss?

I mean, I clicked the link but couldn't spot the last one added from the rest.   :-D
- mandru

Art Blade

Simplest thing to do is check the gallery for its (my) latest entries, but I'll show it to you anyway :) It's the one to the north, and it needs the first buddy mission accomplished which adds vehicles to your safe houses.

[smg id=3316 type=link align=center width=500]

mandru

Up the draw and to the North of the shanty town.   :D

We knew that was there but keeping track of all of them is like trying to count a basket full of ducklings.   ^+-+
- mandru

PZ

I just finished trying fragger's new sniper hide, and I must say that it is perfect.  I was able to snipe just about everyone, and torch nearly all of the flammables.

I wish I had known about this spot when I was first playing the game.  :-()

I'm going to call this place "fragger's spot"

fragger

Thanks PZ, you flatter me :-D

PZ

Well deserved, fragger - you found this spot long after FC2 was in it's prime  :-X

mandru

I also visited fragger's newly discovered overlook to the Polytechnique.   :o

I went in expecting a ledge to shoot from but the space up there is expansive!  It's huge and lovely like a park.  I want to build a house up there.  The only problem is the neighbors you'd have to share a driveway with. ;D

I was even able wander around far enough to the East to get a clear enough line up to take out the mercs at that little ambush stand with the diamond case overlooking the road going into the Polytec.

A massive find after having the game around this long fragger.  Very cool!   :-X
- mandru

JRD

Quote from: mandru  on May 17, 2011, 10:29:55 AM
I went in expecting a ledge to shoot from but the space up there is expansive!  It's huge and lovely like a park.  I want to build a house up there.  The only problem is the neighbors you'd have to share a driveway with. ;D

Hhaaahahahahahaha... you could have a small, comfy cottage to spend some time by yourself, putting you thoughts together, sipping lemonade by the porch and shooting at mercs with your sniper rifle  >:D

Aaahhh... what a relaxing hideout from modern life`s problems  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

you might even start to consider setting up a small golf course up there. A nice heavy club and grenades to put into the mercs' holes down there.  :-D

PZ

I'd been up there before, but I was only able to achieve it using the high jump toggle in the trainer.  I had no idea there was a "non-cheating" way up.  This is one of my favorite places.  :-X

I wonder if there are other places like this in the FC2 world  ????

Art Blade

I think PZ's on a mission now.  :-D

PZ

Indeed - I had a funny feeling about fragger's place when I high-jumped to it some time ago.  Although I looked for a legit way to get up, I never did find it, however, as everyone has experienced who has visited, it feels way too "put together" to be just a programming accident.

I've visited a similar place near the northern edge of the post office in Bowa, but there were lots of invisible walls to prevent me from actually reaching anything fun.

Will keep looking though.  ;)

mandru

Something like 20 years ago there was a game (I can't remember the name of it) on the Sega Genesis that had a hidden Easter egg deep within the labyrinth of its caves.  This was later revealed by one of the programmers.

If you got to a certain point of the game and had performed a sequence of seemingly pointless random actions along the way there was a doorway that would appear that normal play through would never have revealed.

When you stepped through that doorway you would be in a break room with a few shocked programmers who would deliver a couple lines of dialog and then toss you back into the game.

Who knows what you can find as long as the programmers have a will to sneak something into a game or if the developers cut things that were planned out of a game to meet a deadline? 
- mandru

Art Blade

I found your spot, fragger :) I thought I might have found a different one, but it is the same. It's nice up there in the morning (around 6am) :)

[smg id=3344 type=link align=center width=500 caption="fragger's poly"]

PZ

The cool part for me is that I'm early in a new play through, and I now know the way to fragger's spot - something to look forward to in the Polytechnic missions.  ;)

Art Blade

In my playthrough I've just arrived in Bowa and had to do an arms dealer mission near the Poly, so on my way back I decided to take a look  :)

PZ

fragger

Art Blade

cheers, fragger  ;D Great-looking sun there, isn't it :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳