Portal 2 Line-o-rama!

Started by mmosu, April 30, 2011, 09:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

I got myself chuckling today when someone I was talking to said something about "When life gives you lemons . . ."
A touch of irony with a salty aftertaste (probably from my tears) given the current state online gaming is in, but it got me thinking about that Cave Johnson rant where he's going on and on about cumbustable lemons.  So many great lines in this game!  Favorites must be shared!

Art Blade

good idea :) Maybe the following isn't a "line" but something else, but I think it might fit in here, still. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact words, but I got a good chuckle out of this. It's after Wheatley stole blueprints to create tests and when you enter a test chamber, on the wall you're facing you can read "TEST" written across it in huge letters.

GLaDOS: "That's my  test!"
Wheatley: "No, I made it. See the word 'test' over there? That's new!"

But here's a line from GlaDOS, she said it after Binnatics and I performed a high five gesture in front of her camera:

"If you're hitting each other, at least aim for the head."

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Good topic - I enjoy reading lines heard in the games, especially the humorous ones  ;)

Binnatics

Great topic!!!  :-X :-X
I yet have ANOTHER reason to begin a new playthrough... that makes the counter at... let's see...

Screen pics....
hidden rooms...
achievements...
fun...
lol... line-o-rama... I think I could go on like that ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

:-() you're giving me ideas there. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Here's another great line... "Please disregard any undeserved compliments"

^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

Or what about thisone: "Soon you'll be the past president of the being alive club". >:D

Art Blade

;D

"I'll violently disassemble you and then carefully reassemble you."

mmosu

"You remember turrets, right?  They're the round white things filled with bullets . . . oh wait, that's you in 5 seconds . . . " :-()

Art Blade

Art Blade

"you know, we both said a lot of things you're going to regret."  :-()

fragger

^+-+

Hate to tell you this Art, but:

Quote from: fragger on April 21, 2011, 03:40:13 AM
Favourite line so far, from GLaDOS: "You and I both said a lot of things you're going to regret!"

Your quote is probably more accurate though - I can never remember dialogue word for word, especially when I've only just heard it for the first time :-D

Art Blade

Hehe, hate to tell you but your quote is from a different topic called "Portal 2 Launch Day!!!!"  :-D

I posted mine right off the game (ESC, ALT-TAB)  :)

fragger

fragger

Cave Johnson: "The bean-counters told me I couldn't fire a man in a wheelchair. Did it anyway! Ramps are expensive".

Dweller_Benthos

Also a Cave Johnson, something like: "For another $60, we'll take you apart, cut out any tumors, and put you back together again. Heck, you should be paying us."

I liked the early tests the best I think, that whole section where you're deep under the entire complex finding all the old tests that they decomissioned. Funny how it starts out with the test subjects being astronauts, war heroes, etc and by the 80's they are bums and other jobless / homeless people. Must be word got around.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

fragger

That whole sequence of decommissioned chambers with offices full of outdated technology is very cool. I also like how the portraits of Johnson on the walls show an increasingly older guy the higher up you climb :-X

Binnatics

These old chambers are indeed great. And sometimes quite hard to solve, with all the gelly possibilities in there.

And for that $60,-... what the heck, I'll pay them  ^-^

Dweller_Benthos

The biggest challenge in most of the later chambers is there isn't an obvious way to go, unlike the first game, which you almost always had a pretty good idea of where the exit was. I was just replaying some of those to get to the chamber where you soak the cube in gel to get it to bounce, so I can catch it before it hits the floor for the achievement.... Anyway, there's a sign near the beginning that maps the shaft and all the chambers in it, and it looks huge, and it's number 9, in a line of shafts that are just as huge. Big place. Oh yeah, in the awards case, the newspaper states that Johnson bought a salt mine in Upper Michigan, could that be the location for the labs? Then why all the Idaho references? Is the lab that big that it started in Michigan and tunneled all the way to Idaho?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mmosu

It was a really cool moment when you begin to realize for the first time just how big Aperture Science really is, and that what was seen in the first game was just the tip of the tip of the iceberg!  :o

fragger

You're right about that. I remember in my first playthrough when Wheatley dropped GLaDOS and I down the shaft, I was thinking, "Is this it?" as at that point the game duration seemed about on par with Portal 1. I had no idea of how much more there would be to follow...

@D_B, I noticed those references to Michigan and Idaho too and had the same thought as you regarding the extent of the excavations. Or maybe, since a form of teleportation technology is involved, could the Michigan and Idaho locations represent the two end points of some original long-distance portal experiment?

Tags:
🡱 🡳