Portal2 Screenpics (spoilers)

Started by fragger, April 22, 2011, 03:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

I thought maybe a screenpic thread might not go astray here. Just to get things going:

I thought PZ might like this one, being an Idaho resident:

[smg id=3215 align=center width=400]

Just one of the many, many funny signs around the place:

[smg id=3216 align=center width=400]

fragger

Here's a few more:

[smg id=3217 align=center width=400]
[smg id=3218 align=center width=400]
[smg id=3219 align=center width=400]

fragger

And this (cropped):

[smg id=3220 align=center width=400]

This is GLaDOS, cut down to size at last and apparently reincarnated as Mrs. Potato Head >:D Yes, she's been transplanted into a potato, shown here stuck on one of the prongs of my Portal gun (long story). She claims to be on my side now, but I don't trust her - I have the feeling a potato would say anything to stop being a potato.

spaceboy

great shots fragger.  Question for you - did you catch her on the way down or find her and pick her up?  Or do you find her later on?  I couldn't catch her or find her so I've been going along without her, I wonder if I'll meet up again as part of the story (please no big spoilers) or if I missed out on something.

I'm adding spoilers to the subject of this thread due to screenies at different parts of the game. :)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

fragger

You haven't missed anything space, that's all I'll say about it...

Add spoilers by all means as you see fit :) I've tried not to post screenies that give away too much, just some of the loony stuff :-() I'm not going to say anything more about GLaDOS - I probably said too much already in that screenie post, sorry :-[

spaceboy

Oh no problem at all about that pic.  I figured she'd show up again!  I just didn't know if I missed an opportunity to grab her when falling.  I just don't want to inhibit more pics, so I figure the spoiler is a safe thing to add.

Any more of the wacky signs you feel compelled to capture are appreciated.  So many fun ones that unless you stop to read, you will miss.  ;D

mmosu

Ah yes, a place to talk about sensitive info  :-X

I think the whole GLaDOS/Wheatley double-cross scene was one of the biggest bombshells ever in a video game - and all the stuff unfolding afterwards about how those two came to be, Uhhh, what a fantastic story!!   8)

PZ

Great idea fragger; I love seeing screen captures  :-X

Someone on the development team must like potatoes  :-()

mmosu

The whole potato battery/science fair thing ties in with a joke from Portal 1 about "bring you daughter to w%&k day", and in Portal 2 evolves into a commentary by Wheatley about how the lay-people's kids are obviously dumber than those of the professionals based on the fact that all the scientist's children made potato batteries and the other kids made baking soda volcanoes  :-D

My favorite part of the science fair is that, if you look closely at one of the boards, the one kid's hypothesis is "it can be done"  ^+-+

Art Blade

lol @ it can be done  ^+-+

We should tell mandru about those children. Maybe he can teach those living in his neighbourhood.  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Now, look at what you've done... You caused a BSOD!!!!
[smg id=3243 width=500]
Hahaha, great!!! I guess GlaDOS is kinda mad at us for poking round in here facility. Never mind. You MUST be convinced now, so I leave you here at the Screenpics topic. Imagine using your new learned tricks in these great landscapes  ^-^

See you soon in Portal 2 Coop Arena!!!!

Go back to Start

Quote from: fragger on April 22, 2011, 04:19:02 AM
This is GLaDOS, cut down to size at last and apparently reincarnated as Mrs. Potato Head >:D Yes, she's been transplanted into a potato, shown here stuck on one of the prongs of my Portal gun (long story). She claims to be on my side now, but I don't trust her - I have the feeling a potato would say anything to stop being a potato.

Yeah, that's a great one. I thought the same thing at that point. How creative they made the storyline at the end, having GlaDOS thank the player for teaching her some 'human feelings' and even not 'kill' her right away. I like the guesture at the end when she rewards you with the 'sticky cubus'. Too bad I didn't take a picture of that, but that's on my wishing list for the next playthrough. Good initiative for the pic's topic!!!!
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

Quote from: PZ on April 22, 2011, 02:18:27 PM
Someone on the development team must like potatoes  :-()

:-D

The inference from a couple of things the game is that this whole vast underground complex you're lost in is somewhere under Idaho, hence the recurring potato theme :)

mmosu

Huh, I didn't get that out of it.  There are the potato batteries, and the big potato growing out of the ceiling, and the GLaDOS potato of course.  Did I miss something else about that?

fragger

It's not too clear in this screenie, but look at the certificate on the wall lower left:

[smg id=3215 align=center width=400]

There's also a small plaque on the potato trophy to the left which reads "Spirit of Idaho National Potato Board for the promotion of Potato Science" followed by a date I can't make out.

Admittedly the look of the countryside where you emerge at the end suggests a midwestern plains location. Maybe someone (PZ?) can say if there is any countryside in Idaho that looks like this:

[smg id=3229 align=center width=400]

As I said, they're just inferences. I could be totally wrong, but given all the potato references, well... ;D

fragger

I like how different eras are represented during the trek through the abandoned area, becoming progressively more modern the higher up you climb, with the newer facilities built on top of the older ones. Not just technology (note the telephones) but furniture and fittings:

[smg id=3226 align=center width=400]
[smg id=3227 align=center width=400]
[smg id=3228 align=center width=400]

One of the certificates in the display case is dated 1943 (Cave Johnson, Shower Curtain Salesman of 1943) so the facility actually goes back a long way.

fragger

spaceboy mentioned a Chell easter egg in another topic, her name on one of the kids' potato projects. Well, I found it (Don't look in the spoiler if you want to try and find it yourself):

Spoiler
[smg id=3230 align=center width=400]

spaceboy

excellent shots fragger!  I did appreciate the different feelings of the older facilities.

mmosu

That really is one of the coolest parts of the game - retracing the history of the company, it's very easy to see things slowly and surely going horribly wrong ("Turns out moonrocks are pure poison, I am deathly ill").  The way it unfolds is perfect too - touring the abandoned layers, mere ghosts of what they once were, yet still functioning.

Art Blade

I don't know if any of you ever had the opportunity to do that in real life, meander around on your own in an old facility with furniture, books, calendars on the walls, lamps complete with light bulbs.. with all kinds of stuff still there, left there, as if abandoned in a hurry, decades ago. Well, I did. Spooky, I can tell you that  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

@ Fragger: Nice pics  :-X You really have an eye for these things  :)

@ Art: You are making me curious... I once visited an abandoned small village somewhere in France as a child. It was not like you described, but the few houses there were all dusty ruins and somthing that happened to be a street was hardly recognizable. I remember my father was there looking for old, handblown bottles. He has quite a collection. Nowadays all bottles are blown by nachines and you can see the stripe of the mall in which they formed it. These old ones are more special, a little crooked sometimes. He did find some actually. I remember I felt quite unconfortable there.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

What I was referring to was an old and idle plant (factory) that used to produce marine propellers the size of a house and it had been abandoned for whatever reason parhaps back in the sixties, early seventies. I did see calendars that made me jump back when I saw the date, it must have been so shocking that by now I can't remember. The facility was locked but I had my ways (knew someone with access to it, actually "the keys" to it) and I was allowed in alone. So there I was, basically the only human being for several hundred yards, doing some kind of time travel.. the stuff had never been touched since they locked it away, so I could rummage through desks and shelves and books and whatnot.. I used to spend every day there in that hot summer many moons ago, exploring and zooming out..

:)

Binnatics

Wow, what an experience... Hope to find a place like that sometime.

fragger

Me too, that would be an interesting and eerie experience. I've been in abandoned buildings but not one where all the stuff had been left behind like the one Art talked about. That would be the eerie part, sort of like everyone stepped out for lunch and never came back, or just all disappeared mid-job...

PZ

Art Blade

Absolutely :) They actually sparked that memory, particularly this one

[smg id=3226 align=center width=400]

I was standing in a room with about that very view in that factory, in this case the bureau complex of it, that is. Looked very much the same which is kind of spooky  :-D

Of course I had also seen the assembly bit in like one hall large as a cathedral for the cranes to lift those enormous propellers.. for some reason most of the machinery had gone, probably sold long ago.

Tags:
🡱 🡳