(funny) Tactics and Tips

Started by Art Blade, April 11, 2009, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Tip

20) Driving Fun: Drifting / how to perform a 180° turn

Successfully tested with Assault Trucks, Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Liberty(*)
Not so successful with Datsun
Worst with Dune Buggy (well, it can w@&k its way out easily)

(*)edit 4:
I've noticed the cars perform better once you've purchased the repair manual for the car. Now that I've got the upgrade, the Jeep Liberty does a swift powerslide too :)

Find a steep track, road, whatever, so you're about to drive downhill. At full speed, turn the wheel and hit the handbrake key. Your car will actually start to drift...

I tried it in Bowa, the path down to Marina. I usually drive full speed there anyway, and hammer the car against a tree, wall, whatever. Today I thought, let's check this out. I was quite surprised to find the back of my car going to overtake my front  ;D I tried it a couple of times and now it's the way for me how to approach Mikey's with style ;D

edit 1: At Mike's in Bowa, I now managed to do a power slide, that means race down, turn and keep hitting the handbrake - the back swings towards Mike's and the front points straight at the way out... no need to manoeuvre the car back and forth until you get away ;) Ah, it's called "a 180"

edit 2: to perform a 180° turn, drive at top speed, turn (keep turning and accelerating) then use the handbrake, still turning, and keep all 3 buttons pressed. You should end up looking into the direction from where you came. You don't need slopes for that.

edit 3: maintain full speed (accelerate) while turning and hand-braking = 3 buttons. Like that, you can turn your car around everywhere (i.e. before you get out, so you can just walk to your car and drive back)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Sounds like a good technique to use when playing with the Datsun mercs as long as you can get up enough speed!   ;D   [I'm liking the grin more each day]

Art Blade

;D

I noticed that you can even bomb down the road into Port Selao and do a 180, leaving your car ready to go the direction you just came from :)

On a sidenote, I lost my car again due to a mission (thanks to Jackal who sent me to prison. I rescued Frank and got the gren truck (literally a "Pick-up") from the Airfield. Somewhere along the road I hit an animal in the head with my fender, and it sent off sparks! I don't know what they're made of, but if the animals are built like that, no wonder it sounds like hitting a lamp pole when you hit a plant. Which stops you as efficiently ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

I edited the driving tip, 180° turn in detail here. Have fun

PZ

Excellent tip, and great find, that iurl tidbit.  Much nicer to have the url open in the existing window - avoids the frame break-out issue for those that like to use the map menus.

Art Blade

Tip

21) Car Bombs, II.

In case you haven't tried yet, you can set off explosive barrels (yellow, red) with your car just by running them over. Last time I couldn't escape one and blew myself up. I then tried again, accelerated (a different car, hehe), steered my car so it would collide with a bunch of barrels, and bailed out at full speed and duck away. It is safe to say that it attracts mercs  ;D

Art Blade

just edited the tip regarding weapon degrading - seems to be a myth, please read here.

The good news is, you can shoot and will never know when exactly it jams, so keep shooting and reload often :)

Art Blade

edited the very first post again - added info to the tactic that gets a bunch of mercs killed by your hand grenade.

Art Blade

edited the 180° turn tip again, so even those of you who are not familiar with drifting cars should be able to perform that manoeuvre :)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on April 26, 2009, 03:03:08 PM
Tip

edit 3: maintain full speed (accelerate) while turning and hand-braking = 3 buttons. Like that, you can turn your car around everywhere (i.e. before you get out, so you can just walk to your car and drive back)

Cool... I think that I'll assign this key sequence to one of my mouse buttons...

Art Blade

maybe two mouse buttons? Or do you want to slide your car always to one direction...?

note to self: Would be fun watching him hit that one button, a left slide programmed, and there comes a right turn... because to the left is a f@#$ing cliff ;D

PZ

Good point!  I guess I better see how wide the swings are first...

Art Blade

they're not really wide... if you do a left 180, your left front tire will be like nailed to the ground, and the right rear tire doing the radius of the half circle. you can turn ON a road.

Art Blade

Hello all,

this topic now features an index, clickable, leading you right to a specific tactics/tips post you want to read :)

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on May 08, 2009, 08:21:40 AM
Hello all,

this topic now features an index, clickable, leading you right to a specific tactics/tips post you want to read :)

Excellent Art... I once thought we could split it into many others... but an index is much better to find a specific topic-inside-a-topic ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

wow, nice job.  that must have been a lot of w@&k. Thanks it is really helpful.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

thanks, guys :)

I'm glad this topic is still one topic... and yes, it took maybe an hour or more to edit the posts (adding numbers, correcting minor typos etc) and putting together that index. But I think it was worth it, and I did it for you - the members and guests of this site.

Thank you for reading and posting here :)

Art Blade

Art Blade

Tip

22) "Unstuck" your car

This only makes sense if you like to keep your car for some reason (a mounted grenade launcher perhaps):

Moments ago it happened again. I managed to drive my car onto a rock and got bloody stuck. No way to move it without help.

Well... sometimes there are other cars around. Ask politely if you may use it (headshot) and then use that car to ram your own old and beloved ride off the rock/obstacle  ;D

PZ

haha, good story, Art - I've also used vehicles to become "unstuck" - was driving east from Dogon Sediko toward the easy access road and got stuck in a hidden gully - used the buggy at Dogon Sediko to ram it out.  I really like these open world games where you can improvise your tactics to achieve a goal.  Maybe that is the foundation of why some people take issue with FC2 - they are accustomed to scripted pathways (like COD-WaW) and have not found a method of improvisation yet in games like FC2.

Art Blade

haha, true... I'd like to have the opportunity to "shout" myself in FC2. Remember DukeNukem3D? you had a couple of pre-recorded lines in a cool voice, even a yell (AAaaaargh!) and could bind those to a key. Would be fun to hit a key and hear yourself go "Well, look what we got!" and then go on a rampage  ;D

PZ

hahaha, yes, indeed - I'd have lots of those lines scripted into my keyboard!  Along similar lines, I'd like to have a sound track of the music from FC2.

All of this talk is getting me excited to play again - I think that I'll fire up the gaming PC and have a go at it

Art Blade

funny how that works, isn't it?  ;D I'm off too now hahaha

Art Blade

Intermission:

This was and is my first topic on this site (if you don't count the very first post on
introductions).

It has become something I really didn't expect: For quite a while now it is number one on the forum statistics regarding views and posts.

So I want to thank you all for reading and posting :) And I also thank PZ and the members of this site who make this place so special  :-X

To further improve this topic, I again edited the first post. I've started to add "interlinks" which link to tips or tactics on this forum that I think might be of interest to the readers of this topic. I'll keep doing it, randomly, when I happen upon something that I think fits in here. Then again... maybe I'll just skip all that ;D

I hope that you enjoy this topic as much as I do and that you'll keep coming back to this site, forum, and topic :)

<ducks away to seek out new crazy stuff>

PZ

I know that I enjoy reading the posts in this thread - great idea to interlink as well!   :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳