The strangest day I've ever spend in Bowa

Started by PZ, February 05, 2011, 02:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

What a strange day...

I took a mission from the APR to destroy the kilns at the Dogon village, but Nasreen had other plans - take out a teamster at the outpost - the Doctor also gave me instructions to get malaria pills at a chack to the west.  I made my way by boat to the small inlet leading to the malaria shack east of Mosate Selao.  As I beached the boat and crouched down as I made my way to get the pills, the mercs somehow knew I was present, even though I'd not even crested the hill yet.  OK, I thought... I just messed up.

After obtaining the pills, I took the confiscated AT north to Sefapane, and stopped short, stealing a boat just south of town.  I intended to make my way by boat to the safe house where I was to meet Nasreen - all was going as planned - Nasreen gave me the details.  Here's where it became a bit different again - an ATP somehow knew I was in the safe house, even though they were nowhere near the place when I went in.  I had to kill the guys - then made my way down to the main road intending to head toward the outpost by river.  Again a roving ATP far in the distance knew I was there and began firing so far away I could not see them!  OK, again I thought - somehow I'm just being careless. 

I made my way up the river and again the guys at the GP on the river knew exactly where I was even though there was no way they could see me - I had to retreat south while they followed me - eventually I got them all.

Now I was going to be really careful - sneaking up by foot to the outpost - somehow again they knew I was there way before I was even close to the place!  After clearing the place, and going north to the safe house to pick up a ride, I went west along the northern road toward the Dogon village - my intent was to drive the rig through the desert to the river, park the rig, and then sneak in using my usual route - I've done this mission dozens of times, and always sneak in via the stone stairs - just posted a photo series on such a mission.  This time however, I heard the woosh of a mortar as I was walking up the road from the river - I couldn't believe it - there is no way that they could have known I was there, but the mortar guy was lobbing rounds my way, and as I rushed toward the village, the other mercs were already nearing the road leading into the place.

After completing the mission, I went back to the safe house to get some syrettes, and as I was inside, a roving ATP on the main road recognized I was inside the safe house, came roaring down, and crashed into the structure hard enough to break things inside the building.

Then the last of the strangeness was when I went to help Nasreen at the un-named outpost nearby - as I arrived, all the mercs were dead but Nasreen was running around telling me to get ready - they were coming.   I thought: What? They're already all dead! ???  The mission would not end so I loaded a prior save.

What a strange day  ????

deadman1

That was the strangest glitch yet in FC 2  ????

PZ

Indeed - talk about everyone being clairvoyant!  If I'd encountered this type of hostility when I first played the game, I'd never have survived  :-()

The funny thing is that this was on the PS3, where I've had little to no problems before  ????  Oh well, we'll see how it goes on my next mission - I was able to go back into Mosate without incident.

mandru

Whoa!

That was a strange and only slightly better than having your BB wig out at the end of a protection mission and try to kill you which I have had on a couple occasions.   ???

Of course the thought did occur to me to mug it up a bit and say "You mean that's not how all game every game is supposed to play out?"   ^+-+
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

^+-+

One other event I forgot to mention - from the outpost, I went east toward the armory where I typically find much joy stealing the GLAT that comes up the road from the south.  I have a favorite hiding place that is always effective for me - crouched behind a stack of pallets between the two buildings.  Armed with the AR16, I can usually pick off the gunner as the driver slowly comes up the road - every time... except this time - in which the mercs came roaring up the road, firing grenades - they knew I was hiding there.  :-()

Art Blade

what a day ^+-+ :-X I liked the part best when they slammed into your safehouse breaking things inside  :D :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

^+-+

It was funny - the whole building shook - kind of like the screen shake you get when a grenade lands close to your position.

Although fun because it was so different, I hope it does not last, and I lost my best buddy Nasreen - reloaded the last save several times trying to save her, but to no avail - it was just her time to go.

Art Blade

strange how sometimes you can't prevent them from croaking. I had that on a mission that ends near the scrapyard where that tree has fallen across the road and you come to assist your BB. That one time I reloaded many times and no matter what, he always ended up with a bullet somewhere in his body where it really counted.

Probably self-inflicted damage, that coward.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Quote from: PZ on February 05, 2011, 06:08:12 PM

I lost my best buddy Nasreen - reloaded the last save several times trying to save her, but to no avail - it was just her time to go.

Quote from: Art Blade on February 05, 2011, 06:17:32 PM

... no matter what, he always ended up with a bullet somewhere in his body where it really counted.

Probably self-inflicted damage, that coward.

:-(

Requiescat in pace Baby.
- mandru

PZ

^+-+  good one  :-X

At least I didn't put her down  :-()

Art Blade

:)

The first time when I couldn't save my BB was really annoying me because the git used up all my expensive and hard-to-get morphine just so he could pass away with a silly smile on his ugly face.

I kicked his dead body.

From that point onwards I used to use a bullet from a brand new Desert Eagle they happily give to you (which you can keep) before you make them pass away. >:D

PZ

:-X ;)

My strange adventure continues - I went into Mosate with gun drawn, not held up as usual.  The prompt to escape was displayed, but all was quiet.  As I went into town, the mercs looked at me, and some were smoking.  Then a few down the street started shooting at me, but the mercs right next to me did nothing!  In fact, I hid behind them so they could take the bullets - they died, poor buggers  >:D

As to the regular areas, they still all knew exactly where to find me, but the ominous thing is that they said nothing - they just started shooting - completely without dialog of any kind.  ????

Art Blade

I don't mind mercs shooting at and trying to kill you but I think that it is a little too impolite of them having stopped talking to you.

ninzza

Quote from: PZ on February 06, 2011, 12:12:01 PM
:-X ;)

As to the regular areas, they still all knew exactly where to find me, but the ominous thing is that they said nothing - they just started shooting - completely without dialog of any kind.  ????
Because their new policy is "Shoot first, talk later" ;D

Art Blade

skip the "talk later" bit.. with PZ, they won't.  ^+-+

PZ

^+-+

I can't believe how violently aggressive they are, which is compounded by their silence. One of the times I was at the outpost, there were so many, and had completely surrounded me so effectively, that I had nowhere to go - at times there were up to 6 or so simultaneous red hit indicators.

fragger

I've had that experience once too, of suddenly no longer being able to be stealthy. I don't know what causes it - there was a discussion about it a while ago here.

One theory is that occasionally if the mortar guy on the lake island manages to smoke-mark you, for some reason you basically stay smoke-marked for the rest of the game. I've also wondered if it has something to do with acquiring a GLAT, as though the game decides that you're now too well-armed and so gives the mercs a compensating advantage. If so, that's over-compensating IMO.

Whatever it is, it's annoying and it doesn't go away >:((

PZ

I remember that discussion now - never thought I would be victim of it  :-()

My problem is that it happened on the PS3, and I have few saved games.  I was at 69% and had to go all the way back to a 53% game to get rid of the problem.  Whatever the cause, it makes for some very lively fights  :-()

Art Blade

:) The only way for me to get some very lively (or deadly) fights is to run around and across a packed compound without firing, such as Weelegol or Dogon Village and stirr up everyone and everything that is not nailed to a lamp post. Then engage.  :-D

PZ

I recall the complaints from early players of FC2 that they were so disappointed in the clairvoyance of the mercs - at the time I did not have any difficulties, and could stealthily move about quite easily.  In my corrupted play, it seems that I am experiencing what those users had experienced.  The only difference between the play that I am now using and all prior ones is that I'd declined a main mission.  Instead of accepting the mission, I turned and left the room.  When I later returned, Greaves was there to hand me the envelope - no one else present.  I took it, and this it seemed that my problems began.

So, I wonder if you decline a mission, you will not experience the normal merc behavior, but might experience a hostile Africa.  On a related note, I'd loaded an in between game and experienced strange behavior:

• Going up the eastern road in Bowa toward Sepoko - more merc ATPs assaulted me than ever before.  I had to dispatch 3 ATPs near Sepoko
  • The same experience at Polytechnic - the ATPs descended on me like never before, but the RPG guy at the nearby GP did not notice me.
  • Coming out of the APR headquarters, I pressed triangle to open the door, and the door man told me to put my hands up.

fragger

Art Blade

???? crazy. You should check your buddies, who knows what the ladies are up to now that everyone else is already out of their minds  :-()

PZ

I don't know if this normal behavior, but I just lost my best buddy while doing the nitrous mission in Sefapane.  I then went to the APR headquarters in Mosate Selao to get another mission, which turned out to be to destroy the generator in Weelegol, which I accomplished without difficulty.  Then I went to the western armory for a weapons dealer mission, which was to destroy the convoy near the Outpost, so I traveled toward the southwest bus stop intending to go to the northeast stop to begin my attack.  On the way, I picked up the Jackal tape at the wrecked bus near the southwest bus stop, but it did not automatically play like it normally does.  A quick check of the menu revealed that both the Jackal and Predecessor tape menu items are greyed out  ????

Another strange thing - I don't have a main buddy any longer, only a rescue-ready buddy.  ????

fragger

How weird... I've never struck any of those oddities. Is this the same 'thru where you lost your stealth ability? Possibly they're related in some way, but I can't imagine how.

mandru

Quote from: PZ on February 19, 2011, 12:56:28 PM

Another strange thing - I don't have a main buddy any longer, only a rescue-ready buddy.  ????

Have you visited a safehouse to get your rescue buddy to step up to BB?  Sometimes you've got to run through that protocol to bump them along.
- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳