Why FC2 is special

Started by PZ, February 05, 2011, 01:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Far Cry2 was the reason I started playing video games, and my reasons were the same as most people that play the game have mentioned many times before.  When new games come out like the AC series, the Fallout series, and a few others, I become enamored with them for a while, but then nearly always return to FC2.

About my only opportunity to really play the game is on the weekends these days, and early this morning I was at the GP just north of the Outpost - I'd just confiscated a GLAT and was manning it waiting for someone to come by.  Then the reason FC2 is my favorite of all time hit me - I heard the sound of the wind coursing through the brittle brush, stirring up the sand - the "caw" of a crow in the distance, and the general sounds of the outdoors.  I closed my eyes and just listened - the effect was almost like being back in the Southern California deserts that I love to visit.  No monsters, aliens, spaceships - just the "real" sounds of life. 

I just sat there and listened for a while.

Art Blade

You're right about the game FC2, at least I agree, it is possible to load a savegame and just drive or walk to some (merc-free) places and just stay there for a while enjoying the ambiance. Until malaria kicks in  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

ninzza

Many games like Uncharted 2, RDR ... are a blast when I first playthrough them but after seeing the credits, I didnt feel complled to play them again. However I still play FC2 and I will play it until FC3 comes out. One of the main reasons is the environments are both beuatiful and authentic. I feel like I live in Africa, on the other hand games like JC2 may have much bigger world but they dont convice me at all.

Art Blade

I think the FPS aspect is important, more immersive.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Very good points, gentlemen, both - I concur completely.  :-X

mandru

The thing that makes FC2 special to me is that when I accept a mission or make a run to pick up my malaria medicine it's an empty journal and I get to fill in the details of how I approached completing the task.

I'm given a sketch of what needs to be done but every step towards the objective is a decision I make.  I can play it completely straight and gear up with the equipment that's proven be to the best advantage or select an oddball kit that makes me scramble to keep anything in my health meter.

I even hear other players here on the boards talk about working completely with what providence provides for them through 2nd hand weapons grabbed up from fallen enemies.  I've not tried that but have to admire the inventiveness the game allows and the spirit behind such efforts.

Even when I bumble into an objective that is on high alert and all I've got is a loaned knife from the Jackal and my rugged good looks there's a way to get tough and get through.

It's my responsibility to find it and add any flair to the job I can muster.

Muttering at times then laughing in triumph and slapping my mouse on the desktop trying to swing the camera around to find the source of that round that just sizzled past my ear.  I'm being hit! Which side of these drums will give cover?  Wait! yellow and red drums?  Another burst of speed and I crash through the brush to circle back try to take the enemy down and fulfill my mission parameters.

Even if it's just one man at a time.

I can't count the number of times my bursts of glee or exasperation has earned me the comment from my wife "You're such a boy".

It's an open world.  There's no right way or wrong way to approach it and even if I crash and burn there's that last save point so I can jump right back in maybe a little smarter this time and knowing where that first merc I surprised on my last try is standing on the other side of this wall taking a leak.   >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: mandru on February 05, 2011, 05:29:12 PM
... slapping my mouse on the desktop trying to swing the camera around to find the source of that round that just sizzled past my ear...
^+-+
That reminds me of my activity at the outpost this morning - the action was really hot and heavy when I heard the gunning roar of an ATP engine - I was next to a tree and spun about frantically (while mercs were busily shooting) trying to find the source of the dreaded sound - finally I chickened out and moved to the opposite side of the tree to avoid being crushed - moments later Hakim was dragging me to safety.  :-()

mandru

Ah!  The dreaded heat seeking AT.  How horrible.   :o
- mandru

Art Blade

When things get really ugly I like to mess them up even more.. hand grenade time  :-D

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on February 05, 2011, 06:07:20 PM
When things get really ugly I like to mess them up even more.. hand grenade time  :-D
Same here - what's really hilarious - I'm playing on easy, with 8 grenades and 8 Molotovs - my satchel was empty by the time Hakim saved me.

^+-+

Art Blade

good boy  ;D Well done, hehe :-X

mandru

So you ended up walking down to the bus stop and driving the Datsun after you had to blow up the GLAT?

Spoiler

^+-+
- mandru

PZ

Art Blade

^+-+

Oh man, I had that once, after a fight I ended up with all vehicles rendered useless but burning brightly, so I had to walk the planet (rather than stylishly cruise around in a nicked ride)  :)

PZ

lol, I've been in that boat once or twice.  In fact, just this morning I was in a GLAT, lobbed a grenade at a Jeep which exploded and went over my head behind me - while I was still taking care of the guys in front, I was taking damage from behind - fire!  the Jeep had set the place ablaze, and I had to hop out of my beloved GLAT.

Art Blade

the biggest and quickest surprise I remember was a rather hostile, relentless and reckless GLAT patrol that somehow managed to get behind me and almost instantly they were really close and fired their launcher. What I experienced was the sharp CLACK! of the GL and, well, it wasn't followed  by the BLAM! of the impacting grenade but it set off nearly simultaneously with the firing sound. In other words, the moment I heard the GL, my own ride blew up  :o

I might add that the pursuers blew themselves up the same instant. :-D

So I like the crazy thrill this game offers  :)

fragger

Yeah, I love the vehicular chases that sometimes take place, they can be quite invigorating :-()

It can be a very exciting game at times. On occasion I've actually felt a cold chill down my back when I've been nonchalantly standing around with my map out and I hear an uncomfortably close "Huh?" and realise that I only have a second to put the map away, bring up a weapon and locate the interloping merc before he opens up on me. It's that initial feeling you get when you realise you've just made a mistake and you're in trouble, I'm sure you know it :-\\ I can't recall experiencing that feeling in any other game.

But that's the thing with FC2, it's so flipping immersive. I can't think of any other game that makes me laugh, whoop and explete as much as this one does. Not always a good thing for those around me, but when I'm having that much fun - bugger 'em >:D

PZ

Truly  ^+-+  I can't count the times I've experienced "huh?" only to be opened upon in about 2 seconds.  :-()

Art Blade

hehehe  :-D I know that "huh?" too :) What I like even better is the immediate "Ahhh-Haaaaargh!" when they  can't escape my verbal and physical retort  >:D

nexor

One of the many reasons why FC2 is so special, you can actualy write a story about each and every mission you take on.

ninzza

There are 2 main reasons make FC2 special IMO. The first is the totally open world and the second is the enemies. They're much more fun to fight than other FPS, they're random and funny, make me laugh many times.

For intance, I just replayed Polytechnic mission to try out the sniper spot PZ discovered recently. I drive south to Polytechnic from north. On my way to Polyechnic, I hide behind a rock near the GP to the north of Polytechnic that has the RPG guy and a sniper. But the RPG guy sees me and he fired his RPG, causing a fire behind me and to my surprise, I hear screams "arghhhhhhh", "agh hahhhhhhh" . So the RPG guy accidentally kills his comrades. One of so many funny moments in this game.  ^+-+

fragger

Art Blade

^+-+ :-X

And this..

Quote from: nexor63 on February 11, 2011, 07:29:39 AM
One of the many reasons why FC2 is so special, you can actualy write a story about each and every mission you take on.
..is a very cool statement. So true!  :) :) :) :-X

PZ

I'll echo those thoughts!

ninzza, were you able to get to the sniper spot?  I've not tried it on the PS3 yet.  ????

^+-+ at the RPG guy   :-X  You remember the RPG guy at Sepoko (the border crossing)?  He not infrequently kills himself or his friends if you move about the grassy area in front of the buildings.

fragger

True - I've rarely had to take that clown out myself ^+-+

Tags:
🡱 🡳