Sniper hide: Polytechnic

Started by PZ, January 31, 2011, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I found this spot high above the Polytechnic - a perfect place to launch an attack because you have a broad plateau from which to attack
[smg id=2883 width=600]
[smg id=2884 width=600]

This was taken from a vantage point so you can see the bridge across the river from the Polytechnic
[smg id=2878 width=600]

Using the AR16, a propane tank just happened to ignite  :-()
[smg id=2879 width=600]

Adding a couple of Molotov cocktails added a bit of fuel to the fire
[smg id=2880 width=600]

Eventually the ammunition ignited
[smg id=2881 width=400]

The last of the fires burned out - the cost of this attack: a burst of three bullets from the AR16, 3 Molotovs, and a couple of grenades.  All life in the area ended (except me, of course)  :-()
[smg id=2882 width=600]

mandru

Nice burn pattern.   :o  You pretty well scrubbed the area.   :-X

Cool find PZ.  I've not seen this vantage before any tips on how to get up there?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Thanks, mandru - it was lots of fun and different from any other experience I've had at Polytechnic.

I did a high jump using a trainer - my current favorite method of travel is the fast run/high jump feature in the FC2 trainer, then turn it off when I get to an area so I can play vanilla.  However, as I finished the weapon dealer mission last night, I went into Polytechnic on a whim and did not turn off the trainer.  I jumped really high which landed me on a large, relatively flat area with all the features of the normal FC2 landscape (grass, rocks, outcrops for sniping, etc.) and I was able to walk along quite a bit of the edge of the area - I'd guess a 90-degree arc around the southeast perimeter of Polytechnic.  It actually looks like this is a place that you should be able to get to without using cheats, because it is so perfect, but I've never found the way up.

Typically, there are many invisible walls preventing users from jumping on the top of mountains, ledges, etc., but in this instance it was perfect, and I'm going to try to find other places like this overlooking other main areas.  Doing the game this way is almost like playing the game with additional features unlocked - kind of like how you unlock areas in the AC series - sure does make for a different experience.  In this case, I was able to shoot flammables that I could never even see from my usual sniper perch.

Art Blade

PZ, I'm not sure if it is just my setup, but this time your images (you used 800) do leap across the border and kind of overextend themselves.. the board size is smaller than your images here which renders the text and menu parts a little out of shape. I think that 600 is about big enough to cover most of the screen but still stay inside the forum borders. :)

Here: 600
[smg id=2883 width=600]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Are you using the narrow version (the old theme) of the theme?  The reason I ask is because it fits fine on my monitor when using the default theme - anyone else experiencing Art's issue?

Art Blade

I apparently use the default, the first one on the list.
QuoteThis is the default theme, which means your theme will change along with the administrators' settings and the board you are viewing.

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Strange - the default theme is fixed width - you doing zoom in your browser?

Art Blade

yes, but zooming in or out doesn't change the problem. If it is fixed width, then I'm not using the default. Although it reads default.

PZ

Oh well - lets keep the maximum width at 600 then we'll avoid the problem  ;)

I'm using the MysticJade theme most of the time, (and switch to default only when testing) which resizes to a certain percentage rather than fixed pixel width - my monitor is wide, and resolution is high so I like seeing the extra space utilization.

ninzza

Great shots, PZ.
In my previous plays, I like to snipe using a spot on the rock south of Polytechnic, but your spot looks better.

Art Blade

PZ

Quote from: ninzza on February 01, 2011, 02:28:59 PM
Great shots, PZ.
In my previous plays, I like to snipe using a spot on the rock south of Polytechnic, but your spot looks better.
Thanks, ninzza - this is a great spot if you can get to it - I haven't tried on the console yet, but plan to try to find a way up.

Tags:
🡱 🡳