Elder Scrolls V "Skyrim" (and a discussion about E.S. IV, Oblivion)

Started by spaceboy, January 22, 2011, 08:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Let's wait a bit until all issues have been addressed and fixed (patched). Like, a year or so. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Fiach

OK, so I caved in, both will and flesh are weaksauce.I went with the PC version (for mods), it autodetected my settimgs, and it chose "High", I was kinda pleased with that.

The game seems to run at a very low framerate, combat sucks balls in First Person, but you can switch to TP view, so that helps, the inventory.... there is absolutely no design in it, its just plain black and white text, no icons etc. It looks just functional, no concept behind it. Lockpicking is OK, you have a slim dagger and a pin, you rotate one or the other until you find the sweet spot.

The game starts as you being a prisoner and something happens, so you wind up escaping from the dungeons as in Oblivion iirc. Once you get outside, the world is quite nice looking, water (rivers, waterfalls etc.) is very nice and natural looking.

Character design is OK, more realistic than oblivion I think. I saw the first dragon, it was very well done, very scary, but havent fought one yet, so I'm looking forward to that.

The game auto detects my  controller, which is nice and it controls well.... I think the game would be a good argument on how consoles are invading the PC niche, its basic gfx and ease of control would make me believe this game was concieved with consoles in mind, thats not a bad thing, but I am playing on a PC and I have seen older yet better looking console games in the same genre. Two Worlds  2 springs to mind :)

On saying that, the world seems to be pretty HUGE, so that would hamper gfx quite a bit, to keep it running smoothly. One thing I noticed, (could be my gfx card), but if you are in a light space, when you turn to a dark space, it can take a second or two to adjust to the light, I dont know if this is a purposeful design or  glitch, but its annoying in combat indoors.

Havent tried any quests yet, other than to escape, but I'm anticipating a high quality experience with them.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Art Blade

Fiach, the change from light to dark sounds like typical (purposeful) "HDR" gfx (high dynamic range) which is supposed to mimic real life: if you stared into the sun and then dropped into a dark cave it'd indeed take you a couple of seconds (quite a couple of seconds) to adapt to the darkness. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Yeah mate, I kinda thought that may be it, but its annoying when it happens in one room lol :)

Hit the first large town, the gfx do look good now, many different textures and effects, as opposed to dungeons and countryside, which are dark and snow covered, respectively, making for boring viewing . The game does have one annoyance peculiar to RPG's, having to wait for a shop to open at 9am, who ever thought that was a good idea, should be sacked immediately lol :)

Combat is annoying as I said earlier, but I couldnt figure out why.... you done seem to be able to "lock-on" to a target, causing you to miss alarmingly frequently.

The world is quite huge, making initial explorations time consuming, but you can return to previously discovered locations by clicking on the map.

spaceboy

I picked this up today.  I'm not sure if I'll dig in this weekend or not, I still have unfinished business in other games lol.  This is my first dip into the ES series.  This just sounded too interesting to pass up.  Since I'm not wrapped up into the storyline I think I might be able to enjoy the free roaming, exploring, quests, etc. as they unfold naturally.  The "radiant story" they talked about should make this fluid.  To me this seems like a mix of RDR/Assassin's Creed (I may be wrong)  The idea of interacting with lots of NPCs is interesting to me.  The world looks like a treat to just walk/ride through and see what you come upon.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Should be a perfect game for you spaceboy :)

There are no cars in it.

PZ

Fiach

Art Blade

PZ

...we must preserve the old ways... <said while pounding the floor with an ancient wooden staff>

fragger

Art Blade

Fiach

Anyone playing this yet?

I was wondering if anyone had an archer or a caster, I'm currently playing melee as I find the ranged character combat a bit....s#!t, you cant lock on to aim (from what I can see, manual doesnt mention it anyway).

I'm currently level 14 and enjoying it so far, the world is pretty huge, so it involves ALOT of walking around, but at least you can fast travel to any places you have discovered.

I have a companion with me, I got her from one of the first quests, but there are other people that will help you ig you do small quests for them, their pathfinding can be a little upsetting at times though. They are handy for carrying junk too :)

PZ

Not me - some chap named Fiach is playing games so I don't have to  :-()

Seriously, from your earlier description it did not sound like something I would complete.

spaceboy

Yeah I started it, underline started.  I like it so far, but have been trying to wrap up Uncharted 3.  I created a Redguard character, and just went to Riverwood and White Run (haven't spoken to the King or whatever yet though).  On the way around Riverwood and to White Run, my 7 year old daughter wanted to move the character around, so we started a new save file for "her" and we created this wicked female Reptilian race warrior goddess with awesome horns etc. lol  Then we took her and veered off straight away from the escape, found a house of bandits, and cleared them out after picking the lock to gain access to their hut.   :-()  FUN!

My son has also created a couple characters for himself and has taken one to White Run.  So we are very early in, only level 1 and 2s.  I fully expect this game to be one I play for a LONG time, on and off with other games.  I also expect to allow myself to get distracted since, coming in as my first ES game, I don't particularly care about finding out the story (though it's interesting enough) and just want to wander and do side missions as much as the main missions.

I'm thinking of starting again too as one of those Tiger looking dudes...I'm always playing as humans, why not something else for this game?

spaceboy

...and PZ - you might actually like it.  The fighting isn't as fluid as Assassin's Creed, but similar weapons, plus a huge open world, lots of NPCs to mess around with (pickpocketing like you enjoyed so much in AC), The beginning is intriguing enough to get you into the story and world.  It's my son's new favorite and can't stop talking about it.

PZ

Art Blade

The last game (Oblivion) had a couple of things that influenced your average gaming:

- Learn how to make magic potions by collecting plants and other stuff like rat meat and crabs, combine and distil them with a more and more sophisticated apparatus so you got more or less useful potions or highly dangerous poisons, or eat stuff to benefit (or suffer) from their effects.

- learn to use and create spells and enchant various things (clothes, weapons, rings..)

- learn how to use different weapons and armour

Stuff like that. Anything of the first two still in the game?

Fiach

Quote from: PZ on November 16, 2011, 01:36:44 PM
Not me - some chap named Fiach is playing games so I don't have to  :-()

Seriously, from your earlier description it did not sound like something I would complete.

ROFL! Touche mate :)

Spaceboy have you tried a ranged character?

Anyway, pro-tips :)

Theres a guy in the first town, goes around with a big quiver on his back, he'll ask you to deliver a letter for him, if you do, He will become a companion if you want, he will teach you Archery for a price, so get him to teach you (he can teach you 5 stages per level up), while he is a companion, then pay him and ask him to trade, you can take your money back from him, rinse/repeat :)

Alchemy. making potions, you dont need to "learn it", once you know the ingredients for an item, just make it at a bench, now, later on you will need more powerful potions, Alchemy training will make your potions more powerful, but (well I'm lv 14) I havent needed to yet, but, be aware that its not easy to find potions in shops, they will only have one or two, so you need to harvest stuff.

Health Potion Recipies Here is the effect, eg Restore Health, then the different ingredients needed. Just decide what your character will be, then just pick up the materials you need, save cluttering up your INV, eg a Warrior will need Health and Stamina, a Mage will need Health and Magicka.

EFFECT

INGREDIENT 1

INGREDIENT 2

Restore Health

Blue Mountain Flower

Butterfly Wing

Fortify Health

Giant's Toe

Hanging Moss

Regenerate Health

Juniper Berries

Nordic Barnacle

Magicka Potion Recipies

EFFECT

INGREDIENT 1

INGREDIENT 2

Restore Magicka

Creep CLuster

Red Mountain Flower

Fortify Magicka

Red Mountain Flower

Tundra Cotton

Regenerate Magicka

Garlic

Salt Pile

Stamina Potion Recipies

EFFECT

INGREDIENT 1

INGREDIENT 2

Restore Stamina

Pine Thrush Egg

Purple Mountain Flower

Fortify Stamina

Garlic

Lavender

Regenerate Stamina

Bee

Mora Tapinella

Resistance Potion Recipies

EFFECT

INGREDIENT 1

INGREDIENT 2

Resist Fire

Fly Amanita

Snowberries

Resist Frost

Snowberries

Thistle Branch

Resist Shock

Glowdust

Snowberries

Utility Potion Recipies

EFFECT

INGREDIENT 1

INGREDIENT 2

Invisibility

Chaurus Eggs

Nirnroot

Waterbreathing

Chicken's Egg

Nordic Barnacle

spaceboy

see I'm more of  a melee guy rather than magic.  While I won't mind crafting a thing here or there, I imagine I may not take the game to that extent.  Maybe I'll be into it enough where I want to do that, but right now I'm hoping to take down most enemies with brute strength  ;D    I definitely will look up the archer guy though (I think I met him but didn't have enough money for a lesson), because I love bows and arrows - or more specifically crossbows if I can get 'em.

Fiach

I think you will need to make the potions mate, some enemies are pretty tough, they are always your level as they scale with you.  :-(

spaceboy

that's cool.  I've been harvesting plants when I see them and picking up strange things like crab claws or whatever.  I'm sure it'll engage me enough to do them if I need to in order to fight something.  Right now it just feels like a huge open new world for me to investigate without worrying about the future story...just what I was looking for!  :-X

Art Blade

Thanks Fiach :)

I remember in Oblivion I used to have enchanted weapons and armour and rings and amulets which I had personally spiced up at the mages university as well as self-made/custom-made spells I could create at the varsity, too. Those became so potent I could afford to completely skip alchemy at some point :) Until then, geeeeeez, collecting all kinds of stuff and creating all kinds of potions, some of which were poisons you could for example dip your arrows or tip of the sword in and then.. hehe  >:D I remember I had this incredible poision made from apples from the brotherhood, there was NO cure against those apples/poison made from them.  ^-^

Tags:
🡱 🡳