Lair (PS3)

Started by spaceboy, January 12, 2011, 12:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

This was an early launch game for PS3 from 2007 that I recentely picked up for $10 used.  My son and I have been having some fun with it.  It's a dragon riding battle game set in a world similar to LOTR but just humans rather than elves, dwarves etc.  It just has that feeling.

This is cheap, but I've typed a bit over of the last week so instead of retyping I'll link it.

http://mygamepages.com/index.php?topic=875.0

This game came up when talking with Fiach about controllers because it uses the motion (sixaxis) in the PS controller to fly.  It has an option to switch to analog stick, but it actually works quit well once you get oriented to it.  Anyways, further thoughts on the link above.  :)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Fiach

Nice read, hopefully I can pick it up with Untold Legends at the weekend :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

spaceboy

As cheap as it is now, it definitely seems worth it to me.

A good/bad thing depending on how you look at it is there is very little HUD.  There is no radar that shows you enemies, though there is an arrow that points in the general direction of your objective.  In battle this means all those flying dragons are sometimes hard to tell which are friend or foe, but it kind of adds to the disorienting feeling of battle - especially in the air on a dragon.

If you die too much and need to replay the level, there are checkpoints so that is nice, and they give a hint as to what you need to do.  "Take out the chains that hold the ... first"  type of stuff.

Also, read the manual regarding how to lock on to enemies and objectives.  It is required or helpful in some cases to do things certain ways.  Like pickup the enemy bull things and toss them in the drink - while you can land and roast them, you'll also kill many of your own army doing that.  The choice is yours but knowing your options helps.

And note, that even if you use the analog stick to fly there are times you'll need to shake the controller or slide it sideways (similar I suppose to Heavy Rain).  Those are unavoidable.

Knowing your lack of love for sixaxis I'm interested to hear your thoughts, but again, for what should be a cheap purchase, I think you'll like it.

Art Blade

Although I know what you meant when you said..

Quote from: spaceboy on January 12, 2011, 01:19:56 PM
As cheap as it is now [...] for what should be a cheap purchase, I think you'll like it.

..I still think that liking, loving, disliking, hating and so forth are feelings that are independent of price tags. I wouldn't hesitate to hate something even if it was cheap, nor could I prevent myself from loving something just because it was cheap.

Let's just say that I hope that it's worth playing that game in spite of controller issues :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

good point Art.  I've been happy to pay full price for games I've loved.  The thing is I really haven't played games I truly dislike because I know my tastes enough.  I think the overriding issue is this game's default control scheme utilizes the motion functionality of the sixaxis and was probably it's major downfall in terms of garnering positive feedback from some players.

Overall I'm quite engaged in the story, enjoying the graphics, and having a good time with the gameplay.  So I think it's easily  "worth" paying 3 times what I paid for it.  I'm also not bothered by the controls.

I guess my point is I feel a whole lot better recommending the game as a $10 purchase than a $60 purchase knowing the controls won't sit well with everyone.  :)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Well I really like dragon games, (check out Draken, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Divinity II Ego Draconis, Drakengard if you get a desire to try some more) and I found my original sixaxis controller after christmas (under the cloth we place under the christmas tree (neighbours toddler was messing with it :(), so I'll try it both ways cheers :)

spaceboy

Thanks.  I'll have to check out those other games.  Man, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one then.  I've got no experience to compare it to like those other games.

Another nice touch is that when flying, and you target another dragon, you can charge it but you can also hit the prompt for a takedown.  This brings up a short animation (which varies) where you come up next to or above the other dragon and then you have to either hit a button or shake the controller for various mid-air takedowns.  Usually they involve you leaping to the other dragon and disposing of the rider then leaping back...stuff like that.  It adds some more fun to the visuals during combat.

One of the levels I played last night had me chaotically trying to protect some troops from both ground assaults, dragons in the air, and naval ships shooting cannons.  I've basically dropped all other games I'm playing right now.  lol

Fiach

Darn thing was sold out, they only had 2nd hand copies and they went at christmas, they wont be getting it in as new again, so I have to wait for a 2nd hand copy to be traded in  :D

Art Blade

By the way, Fiach, if this game is old and  cheap, it might actually happen that you can't get hold of a copy. Perhaps you'll have to wait for a second hand copy to be traded in.

Oh.. am I late?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHhhhhhhhhrg  <ducks thrown objects> :-()

spaceboy

ah, that stinks Fiach.  That's how it happens though, you probably passed by a copy hundreds of times, when you finally decide to pick it up, it's gone.  Mine was complete chance, I'd seen it and eyed it before, but hadn't been looking at it.  It just screamed out to me. 

Nice of me to pick it up for my son right?  I'm about twice as far into it as he is.  I love buying him presents!

Fiach

'tis better to give than receive  >:D ;D

Art Blade

that depends on what you're thinking about. It sure is better to give someone a headshot rather than receiving one, but I do like to be on the receiving end when it comes to paycheques  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳