Doom 4 Coming Sooner Than You Think

Started by JRD, January 06, 2011, 12:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Cool - Doom was the second shooter I ever played - Wolfenstein 3D was the first.

mmosu

Same for me  :-X  I would imagine a lot of people my age and older would be in that boat  ^+-+

JRD

Same here... spent countless nghts playing doom!  :-X

fragger

Quote from: mmosu on January 06, 2011, 01:59:44 PM
Same for me  :-X  I would imagine a lot of people my age and older would be in that boat  ^+-+

Aye aye, Captain :-D

CW first, then Doom. My friends and I thought Doom was the duck's guts when it came out. One of my good friends was a budding networking engineer who had a 4-PC LAN set up in his house for w@&k/training purposes, so naturally every Sunday became Doom Day at his place - eventually becoming supplanted by Duke Nukem Day and eventually by Quake Day. It was a most agreeable way to spend Sunday afternoons - drinking, smoking and fragging one's mates, which is where I earned this very moniker due to my prowess with Quake's grenade launcher. I became very adept at making the 'nades bounce around corners and up or down steps, thereby clobbering other players sight unseen >:D

But I digress. Doom is indeed a classic and a milestone, even though it's pretty painful to look at nowadays as it was pre-graphics acceleration in its day - no smoothing, no anti-aliasing, no nothing fancy (I actually saw it again not long ago - aaargh, my eyes...) I/We played the dickens out of that game...

Thanks for posting that link, JRD :-X

JRD

My only hope is that they don`t try to make it revolutionary again... a classic should bear it`s roots and no more... make it a simple FPS with action resembling the original... a no brainer... can`t go wrong with that!  >:D

fragger

Absolutely. TBH, I didn't like Doom 3. There were way too many dark (read totally black) areas requiring a flashlight to see in, and since you couldn't hold that and a weapon at the same time you were compelled to either clout incoming monsters/zombies with your torch (like that did anything but annoy them) or shoot blindly at them in pitch blackness. I was forever getting hopelessly lost in a maze of corridors that all looked the bleeding same and I got sick to death of being tagged from behind by monsters emerging from wall cavities after I'd passed them (they did that to death in Quake 2, as if monsters hang out in wall cavities just waiting to toast a passing gullible space marine - enough already). It was like every time I saw a monster in front of me, I'd turn around and sure enough there'd be some other fireball-spewing horror trying to cook my butt after popping out of a freaking wall. I never liked that wall cavity business, it was a cheap and nasty way of making the game "challenging" - that and the infernal see-nothing-without-a-flashlight darkness.

Maybe it got better later on, but I never persevered with it long enough. Heck, what am I saying - I could never find my way out of the maze of identical corridors that made up the first few levels so I lost patience with it.

So yeah, I too hope Doom 4 is a simple, stand-up fighting game, with well-lit playing areas - and NO bloody wall cavities!

mmosu

Quote from: fragger on January 07, 2011, 02:27:32 AM
I actually saw it again not long ago - aaargh, my eyes...

It's funny how something can look so good at the time, and then you come back 15 years later and it's "aaargh, my eyes"  :-D  Just shows how much standards change  :-X

Oh, and the "duck's guts" fragger?  That's a new one on me!  I've heard the "bee's knees" and the "cat . . . um . . . doo", but never that one!   ^+-+ :-X

fragger

Quote from: mmosu on January 07, 2011, 04:52:40 AM
It's funny how something can look so good at the time, and then you come back 15 years later and it's "aaargh, my eyes"  :-D  Just shows how much standards change  :-X

Too true! Actually I saw the old Castle Wolfenstein on the same occasion, and that was even more amazingly crude. It is funny to think how at the time those games were so wow-inducing... but we couldn't see the future back then ;D

Re: the duck's guts - It means the same thing as bee's knees, cat's pyjamas, et al. I have no idea why or wherefore... :-\\

Fiach

Quote from: mmosu on January 07, 2011, 04:52:40 AM
Quote from: fragger on January 07, 2011, 02:27:32 AM
I actually saw it again not long ago - aaargh, my eyes...

Oh, and the "duck's guts" fragger?  That's a new one on me!  I've heard the "bee's knees" and the "cat . . . um . . . doo", but never that one!   ^+-+ :-X

We would say The mutts nuts or in a more vernacular way the dogs bol.....x, which would be more of an english slant.

I seem to remember there was a patch or a mod that taped the flashlight to the gun, when it was released it was an awesome looking game though.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

Errmm... I had to seek assistance at the Urban Dictionary for all those expressions... but that was funny  ;D  ^-^

mmosu

LOL JRD  :-D

One of my favorite things when looking back on those early FPS's like Doom and Wolf 3D is that the only thing in them that was really 3D was the environment - the characters inside were not, which was why corpses could only be viewed from one direction and would automatically "rotate" as you moved around them  :-()  Pretty hilarious in hindsight, in an eye-rolling kind of way  ::) . . .  :-()

Art Blade

I played Doom first, then CastleWolfenstein, then Quake, then DukeNukem3D and also QuakeII. All of which on LAN parties such as fragger described.

Until I first played Quake II on a LAN, I never used a mouse for a game except for maybe Windows card games :) I couldn't believe how quick and fast that guy was playing and winning (he was already used to playing online) and that was how I started to play with a mouse plus keyboard and later competitive at ranked tournaments.

I didn't like Doom3, QuakeIII, Quake4, and all the other crap of sequels.. never as good as the original (although Q2 used to be really cool, online, as it didn't use the IPX LAN protocol any more as games of the day used to do, but already UDP internet protocol).
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳