Game rating: Fallout: New Vegas

Started by RedRaven, December 16, 2010, 07:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

Game title
Fallout: New Vegas

Category            Rating            Comments
Story line8 All in all a very good story line with plenty of variety in how it unfolds.
 Several main endings along with many sub-endings offers great replay-ability taking the story in different directions.

Having said that I did find it a little confusing at times keeping track of which quest I was doing for what faction etc. Where as most games seriously short on story and last 5 to 6 hours New Vegas is the complete opposite, at least if you want it to be.
Graphics7 I played on the PS3 and for me the graphics were no better or worse than Fallout 3 on the PC.

Very few glitches or anomalies do make for a more enjoyable game, and the over all landscape has some really good vistas.
Sound6 Sound effects for weapons etc are pretty standard, nothing new and exciting.

Back ground radio stations can be amusing, occasional songs or news bulletins.

Atmospheric sounds are good enough for each location though in comparison to games such as FarCry2 and Stalker it has little to offer in way of setting a mood and drawing you in. No jumping at shadows or strange sounds.
Game play9 An very enjoyable game to play. Quicker to get going than its predecessor, no growing up and escaping a vault. After ten minutes or so your outside and free to do as you wish. Character creation and progression is as good as any RPG and better than most. The option to play in 1st or 3rd person perspective is always a good thing to have too.

Weapon mods, camp fires, re-loading and workbenches all add more things to do and play with all of which just adds to the environment and RPG side of it.

Having played FO3 on the PC the Pip-Boy was nothing new and very easy to use with the PS3 controller.

Completing such an epic quest gives a good sense of satisfaction too.
Replay value8 With multiple endings on offer and several factions to join or oppose the is some incentive to go through the main story again. Add to that all the companions endings and locations to find the Mojave is a good place to roam for hours on end.

The potential for expansions and DLC are pretty good too.
(Xbox360 players have one already, and PC players have options through mods)

Final thoughts
 I really enjoyed New Vegas, more so than Fallout 3. While it is not breaking ground with its graphics and sound its complex story and interaction between player actions and plot progression is over all well done.

Looking forward to my second play through focusing on different skills, companions and faction alliances. And eagerly await the release of future expansions.

If you like exploring, taking your time and getting the most out of an RPG/FPS then this is a game for you.

Enjoy the Mojave wilderness.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

Nice review, Red - having played the game a bit, I can see that you hit most points much like I would. 

There were times that I thought that I should keep a notebook by my side so that I didn't forget who I was working for, and quest details - the information in the Pipboy was too thin for me to recall enough detail.

I don't think they improved the graphics at all - FO3 and FNV look pretty much the same to me - old graphics technology - especially after the breathtaking detail in AC:B

I do have to say that my favorite aspect of the game is still modding.  It's great fun to add in new characters, weapons, and changes to the game play.

Fiach

Nice concise review mate, very accurate and to the point  :-X
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

RedRaven

Cheers. Really like the way the game rating template is set up, been wanting to post but thought it best to get New Vegas done at least once. Will get some more done as when space and time let me free.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

B33 ENN

Good points covered. It'll be a long time before I explore either of the Fallout worlds but have been curious to know what all the fuss was about :-X
"Do your mother a favour, buy a Lance & Ferman Military Laser."

Tags:
🡱 🡳