Mojave Moments

Started by RedRaven, December 10, 2010, 04:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

Hello All.

Its been a few weeks since I was last here at OWG, and during that time I have become completely enthralled by New Vegas.

After 63 hours play and reaching level 24 I have still not finished the main story and only discovered 36 of the 75 locations. Decided it was about time to get posting about some of my experiences so far.

NPC (mis)behaviour

As in FC2, the NPC`s can be amusing or interesting to observe, anthropologically speaking that is.

Here are a few things witnessed so far -

Chet picking his nose and eating it.
  NCR troopers projectile vomiting on the strip.
  Doc Mitchell eating what looked like squirrel-on-a-stick.

There will no doubt be more I have missed or forgotten, and playing on the PS3 means no quick and easy screen shot abilities so no pics yet, sorry (camera and tripod will be used for second play through so pics will be possible) .

Character Skills, Perks and Weapons

So much variety makes character creation and development as much fun as the game itself.                                                    Started by focusing on Perception, Endurance, Intelligence and Agility in the S.P.E.C.I.A.L.s.
Skills are Guns (100), Repair(80), Science(80), Sneak(60), Survival(60), Lockpick(50) and Medicine(50) and Barter(50). All others are pretty much where they started around 20.
Perks Swift Learner and Intense Training followed by any perks that affected Guns. Also the "Here and Now" and "Tag" perks were useful.
Weapons are almost always rifles, been that way from the start and I still have the Rifle given in the tutorial, complete with all 3 mods. Current favourite is the Marksman carbine with AP and HP ammo (perception of 9 gives me plenty of time to sneak up on targets and engage them at maximum range). For closer encounters the Riot shotgun with Slug rounds or the 12.7mm pistol. And for fun a Light machine gun with expanded drums. Have avoided Energy, Explosive and Melee stuff this game.

Well that`s enough from me for now, the Mojave beckons once more. And just noticed its only 371 points to go till level 25 :-()

More Later . . . . .
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

It's interesting to see the NPCs doing their daily activities - your descriptions remind me of applying the non-aggression cheat in FC2 to observe the mercs doing their daily activities.

I'm glad that you're enjoying FNV - although I'm currently engrossed in AC:B, I do head into New Vegas periodically.

Art Blade

good to read from you again, Red :) Enjoy the game, mate  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

A Cautionary Tale.

After turning level 25 decided to treat myself to a minigun, shed load of ammo and even got a mod for it. RUBBISH ! ! !   Takes so long to start firing that by the time it starts wildly spitting out bullets the enemy has either got close enough to attack or managed to shoot you enough to cripple a limb or two. And with ammo not being the most abundant of resources it soon becomes a very expensive toy.

TIPS

Here is a list of tips players may find useful. I will add to it as and when I remember or discover anything new.

SWIFT LEARNER PERK. This gives a 10% bonus on all experience points earned. It is always the first perk I choose when reaching level 2. Best thing is you can take it more than once! So I choose it again as my third perk.

INTENSE TRAINING PERK. Adds one point to a S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Nothing too fancy but very handy as it has a small effect on all skills relating to that stat and some weapons are less effective if your not strong enough to use them, also some armour imposes penalties so the perk can be taken to compensate.

CAPS, CAPS, CAPS.  Although caps are reasonably easy to acquire one way or the other it is a whole lot easy to spend them! My solution to this predicament is to sell all items of no use (food, alcohol, animal parts etc). All weapons, clothing and armour I would stockpile for a little while then repair as much as possible before selling on, using the fixin' things mag. Always find a trader who likes you and to get even better prices use Mentats and Salesman weekly. Ammo for weapons I do not use is all broken down at the reloading bench. As I am not using any energy weapons its always good to recycle empty packs / cannisters and such so they can also be sold. (So far no trader has offered a price on any ammo case / pack / cannister and they weigh nothing.

WELL RESTED. ( or "How to be a Sleep-aholic" )
Along with the permanent 10% per level bonus from Swift learner you can also get a temporary 10% bonus for being Well-rested. To do this first you need to is find your own bed, just any old bed will not do. The first place I discovered where this good be done is at the NoVac Hotel. For a one time payment of 100 caps you get a room with a bed and 8 storage areas for your loot and precious finds. Sleeping in the bed for a few hours gets you the Well rested bonus for a few hours game time. This on top of the 2 swift learner perks gives me a 30% bonus for a while every day which is great for climbing levels quickly.

That's all for now, more to follow. Anyone after a walk through or detailed info on anything should check out the Fallout Wiki. Not used it a great deal but when I've needed to know something it has always had the answer.

Until next time . . . . .

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

Nice tips, Red - I've not played enough to experience much of what you seem to be well-versed on.

Very useful hints - thanks for posting.  :-X

RedRaven

After 82 hours, 30 minutes I have Finally finished. ;D

Went the Yes Man way and established an independent New Vegas. Really liked all the little endings for companions and locations, seems there are many variant sub-endings all dependent on in game actions. Also the warning when your about to take missions that will end the game are good too, gives chance to spend as much time as you like exploring and such.

Round 2 here we go.

And remember - War, war never changes.

Fiach

WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Indeed - that's what we strive for in a game - an open nature  ;)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳