Gran Turismo5 release

Started by PZ, November 16, 2010, 02:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

For all you racing fans, one of the greats is being released on the 24th - over 1000 cars!  :-X

This is the first game that I'd purchased in at least a dozen or so years, and was one of the reasons I chose the PS3 over the xBox.  The graphics (even in the Prologue) are stunning.

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5343.html

spaceboy

you know it PZ!  It's all been pre-ordered and finally, after the last delay, I think it's going to really happen.   This is really sickening the month of spending I'm having...sshhhhhh  ;D
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Same here, space - my wife is tolerant of my hobby, but even she has limits  :-()

JRD

Well, if you buy her a nice pair of earrings or a dress she won`t complain...  ;)

As for GT, it`s one of my favorite racing games as well. I played the original GT on PS1 and loved it... had numerous nights playing with friends to get all licenses and cars...

The license thing is really nice, although it might hamper your progress somehow. But it is a nice addition to a game, imo.  :-X

If I ever get a playstation one day, you can bet GT is part of the reasons to do so  >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mmosu

Woooohooooo!!!!! :-() :-() :-()
Thanks for the reminder PZ!  That one had kind of slipped my mind - have no idea when I'm going to make time for it though . . .

PZ

My pleasure  ;)

My wife found a great driving setup - all in a single unit; all you need is a seat.

RedRaven

Despite being rather poor on Race games I'm still getting this one, it looks so good.

Some retailers also have a special edition version which comes with a book that has all the racing lines for the tracks.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

spaceboy

FYI at Amazon for GT5:

Get a $10 Video Games Credit and Pre-order Bonus
Pre-order the standard edition of Gran Turismo 5 and receive a $10 promotional credit toward the purchase of any physical item from the Amazon Video Games store (digital products not eligible) shipped and sold by Amazon.com as well as an in-game Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Stealth Model car. The promotional credit will be added directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your order ships. A code to access the bonus content will be e-mailed to you within two days after your order ships. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last, and limited to one purchase per customer. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.
›  See more product promotions

:)

PZ

Thanks for posting, space - this is good to know  :-X

mandru

The TV ads I've seen for GT5 caught my eye.  Too bad it's PS2 exclusive and I'm pure PC.  :-(
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

spaceboy

The game is very beautiful and a lot of fun, but it's pure racing, this isn't free for all free form racing like other games.  You need to earn your fancy rides.  My first car was a Civic!  Then you can earn money and upgrade or buy better cars.  Very cool to w@&k your way up!  :-X

JRD

Quote from: spaceboy on November 30, 2010, 10:05:44 PM
Very cool to w@&k your way up!  :-X

That`s what I loved on the first game of the series. I like to have objectives on a game. Usually, in racing games, you have to win races to unlock more races and better rides, but the way GT makes it you have to plan your career. Is it better to upgrade - spending all your cash - and try harder races for better prizes or save it for now, keep racing the same level with the same regular car, and wait a bit to buy a better ride?
There`s always a choice that affects how the player tackles the following races!  :-X 8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

My son called me last night reporting that he purchased the game and has played it for a bit.  He said that while it is an excellent game, he was a bit disappointed - expected to see a better environment than in the prolog.  However one thing intrigued him - the track generator, and he was impressed with the sheer number of cars and tracks.

spaceboy

yeah, a friend of mine made a few tracks and they look great.

I never played Prolouge so I can't speak to it, but the graphics are very good in this game.

You're right JRD, the decision making is greater than in other racers I've played.  Certain challenges require certain cars.  I won a Yaris as a prize and took it to the Yaris challenge (beginner level).  I couldn't keep up with the pack.  It hurt to spend money on my little compact car, so I added an engine upgrade, but it wasn't enough - I was getting killed on the straightaways.  So then I went back and added a few more. Finally I got first place, but the prize money didn't pay for the upgrades.  Still good to knock out another Gold trophy though. 

My recent acquisition is a Mazda RX8 that I've started to upgrade, that was fun to go back to lost challenges with.  I'm starting to get better cars as prizes too so it's starting to pick up!

mmosu

Quote from: spaceboy on November 30, 2010, 10:05:44 PM
My first car was a Civic!

I think I've started every game in the Gran Turismo series with a Civic SI!  It's a great starter, once fully built it's a supercar slayer, with over 400hp, lots of torque (after boring and stroking the engine block) and light weight/good handling (at least for a front wheel drive car - careful suspension tuning can get rid of most of the understeer).  From there I usually try to nab a Mazda RX-7 or a Nissan Skyline GT-R spec V, and then it's off to the races (literally  :-()). 

mmosu

I broke down and bought GT 5 today, 1,000+ cars was just too much to pass up!  Haven't had a chance to play yet, but some first impressions will be forthcoming any day now . . .

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳