The Fight: Lights Out (PS3 - Move req.)

Started by spaceboy, November 16, 2010, 10:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

Been meaning to drop a note on this game, but I've been too busy playing it!

First off, this game is basically a fighting simulator and should be marketed as an extreme fitness game as well.  It uses the new Move motion controllers for PS3 to track 1:1 what your arms are doing.  You have to w@&k hard physically at this game to succeed.  This is no button masher.  You need to swing your arms hard and you will feel it the next day, and the next, and the next.  You will get a good cardio workout and sweat some lbs off.

The setup is essentially that of the movie Fight Club - well, just the fight scenes.  You pick an avatar and upgrade/change as desired (you unlock new clothes, tattoos, etc.)  then go out into the world of street fighting.  The gameplay is entirely either just fights or training.  The training is key, as it builds up your avatars strength/stamina/chin/heart etc.  You earn skill points by working the heavy bag, speed bag, or sparring.  Meanwhile of course you are building your own physical stamina and muscles. 

The single player has a simple progression through a host of areas and fighters.  You earn money to buy new clothes, tats, etc. and also to heal yourself at the doctor.  Online is a blast and it is just one on one fights.  You can also watch and bet on other fights.  Amazing for a game about beating each other up, but I've met some great guys at gamespot and we've been fighting in a little "fight club" every night for a week.  The community is small but supportive.  Very positive feedback to guys saying they are sore, or out of shape.  Everyone is encouraging to others to keep at it. 

There's no real story here, no free roam, no character development.  Just fighting. 

The controls are very good.  Once you get a feel for them, it feels quite natural - but hurts like hell (in a good way).  If you spend 10 minutes on it for a quick look/review you'll hate it.  You need to commit to sweating, hurting, and learning how to fight.  Move around (you do this with the controller - very intuitive), look for a good opening and take the shot.  There is a great replay feature that saves fights.  I'll upload some when I get the chance.

It's gotten some bad reviews by "professional reviewers" go figure, users are loving it.  Below is a link that is a good solid review.  If you have a PS3, and are interested in a good workout, get the Move and get this game.  Doing well SP or MP means you have worked hard yourself to get there and it is just so satisfying to see your progress.  Some fights go down to the end and everyone is positive saying "good fight" etc.  I'm sure there are some jerks but I haven't seen them yet.

Despite the fact I'm getting Assassin's Creed Brotherhood tonight I'm only going to play a bit so I can get back to The Fight.  It's so damn addictive.

http://www.strengthgamer.com/Fight_Lights_Out_Review.html

http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Nice, space :) I can see the fun factor in it..  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Nice Space  :-X  KZ3 first got me seriously looking at the Move controller as possibly more than just a usurper to the Wii throne, if they keep coming out with good stuff for it I may have to consider investing . . .  :-()

spaceboy

yeah I'm loving the Move.  Played a lot of Sports Champions - favorites being table tennis, archery, and gladiator, and now this game - its beyond my expectations.  I knew it would be a good workout - but I expected to wear wrist weights like I did with Gladiator - but hell no, you don't need 'em.

fragger

A game that makes players get off their bums and gives them a good physical workout can't be a bad thing :-X

Sounds like a heap of fun, space :)

spaceboy

it is fragger.. and the thing is I know Wii fitness games, (we own Wii Fit) are supposed to do the same thing - but this is seriously 20 times more strenuous, maybe more.  I'm not exagerating.  It is a physically demanding game.

I was walking around at w@&k all sore, feeling like Ed Norton, just without the facial cuts and bruises  ;)

mmosu

Quote from: spaceboy on November 16, 2010, 03:56:41 PM
I was walking around at w@&k all sore, feeling like Ed Norton, just without the facial cuts and bruises  ;)

And you probably didn't pull one of your own teeth out while you were shaving this morning either  ^+-+

Art Blade

I pull mine out of that glass of water next to my bed and stuff them into my gob when I get up, put that glass eye into the socket.. then I grab those signed walking sticks and hobble over to the boxing gym. Anything wrong with the life of an old champ?

;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

mmosu

Just make sure you use the wrist straps for the Move controller . . . don't want anybody to end up with a real black eye! :-()

Art Blade

hahaha  ^+-+

I was just imagining someone during "a situation" in the streets mumble under his breath, "damn it, where's my move controller.. can't beat anyone to pulp without that any more!"

spaceboy

yeah, players should watch how much swagger they exhibit just because they beat up a bunch of tough guys in the game lol

but this is definitely the best simulation fighting game hands down.  not the same as the real thing, but closest to it.  one thing for sure, as an outlet for exercise - it's awesome.  And, it does make you think about what punches to throw, what combos you think you can land, when and how to move so you don't get clobbered. 

I did this for another 1.5 hrs last night, drenched in sweat, out of breath, arms hurting, laid down to bed aching with a smile on.  Am I gaming or exercising.  Well.....both!  ;D

Art Blade

you're just nuts.

And I'm glad that you are  ;D :-X

JRD

I know I'm a bit late in the thread, but it is really cool to read about that game!  :-X

It is gaming coming out of the screen and bringing a whole new factor for users. The way you put it it really seems like Wii Fit is  kid's play!

We can expect some serious games coming in the near future!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

wii fit IS kids play in comparison to this.  I'm only in the 3rd arena (of 10 I think) in single player.    Great fun now to bet on yourself against earlier opponnents to make some extra cash, knowing you'll knock 'em down quick  - I do that for a little warm up.

JRD

Quote from: spaceboy on December 01, 2010, 03:45:15 PM
wii fit IS kids play in comparison to this.  I'm only in the 3rd arena (of 10 I think) in single player.    Great fun now to bet on yourself against earlier opponnents to make some extra cash, knowing you'll knock 'em down quick  - I do that for a little warm up.

I`d like to see some vids of someone playing it!  :)

Tried YT but no dice so far!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tags:
🡱 🡳