Call of Duty: Black Ops

Started by mmosu, November 09, 2010, 04:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

I haven't played this game, and probably won't be any time soon, but I saw this commercial on TV last night and though it was too HILARIOUS to not share . . .
Black Ops Commercial Spot: Kobe & Kimmel "There is a Soldier in All of Us"

fragger

^+-+ ^+-+ ^+-+

Nice find, mate :-X

Art Blade

HAHAHA, did you see the inscription on that bazooka? "PROUD N00B"   ^+-+
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

that's a great commercial.  This is the first COD game I'm buying although I rented (free coupons) MW2 for a bit.

My RL friend is a big COD fan and he's convinced me to get in on this one.  So I'll be getting it today.  (The $20 video game credit at Amazon helped seal the deal for me)

That commercial just made me more psyched for it!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

does that "RL" in "RL friend" stand for "Rocket Launcher" ?

:-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

lol Art.  :)

If he gets on the other team I'll have him Riddled with Lead!

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on November 09, 2010, 05:46:56 AM
HAHAHA, did you see the inscription on that bazooka? "PROUD N00B"   ^+-+

That´s because the rocket launcher is often called the "noobtube"  :-()

Art Blade

LOL that's a funny expression  :-X ^+-+

and lol, space  ;D

mmosu

Did anyone notice that the weilder of the "noob tube" is none other than late-night TV show host Jimmy Kimmel?  And right before that we see NBA star Kobe Bryant firing an M16 with "MAMBA" written on the under-barrel grenade launcher.  If I was a betting man, I would guess these are their real-life handles in online gamer-world. 

Art Blade

I haven't watched TV for more than 10 years (apart from occasional sports events like Olympic games) - so no, no idea. Nevertheless, cool observation there, mmosu :)

I don't believe the commercials/show biz industry. I don't know if those stars play online games at all and if they do, I don't expect them to reveal themselves like that. I think it is just a funny gag in that over the top ad :)

mmosu

Could be, but I don't think they would be revealing themselves too much by giving their screenies away - other than giving someone the chance to realize they just got close enough to Kobe Bryant to barrel-stab him  :-D

P.S. - this is post 666 . . .  :-[

Art Blade

Ask me about it, I already surpassed 6,666.  ;D

you must have slipped in another post somewhere by now.. I see it's 667.

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

huahuahuahuahuahuahauahuauha  ^+-+ ^+-+ ^+-+ :-X

mmosu

spaceboy

great time had on MP last night in this game.  There are a ton of maps, all very enjoyably laid out - much better than what I saw in MW2 when I played that for a bit last year.  The graphics and sound are great.  The gameplay and guns feel just right.  I'm impressed.

Haven't started the SP yet, but will soon enough.

PZ

Let us know how the SP goes, space (as you know, I can't do MP)  :'(

mmosu

Oh . . . wait . . . we're talking about the game for real now . . . what . . .yes? . . .Ok, ehem :-[

Yes Space, let us know about SP.  So far I haven't fallen into that black hole that COD appears to be for some players (they check in but they don't check out) but if you give it rave reviews I may have to reconsider.

spaceboy

I won't be in the black hole for sure.  I've got too many other games that interest me.  But for my first foray into owning a COD, it's good so far.  It goes back to ownership I think.  Since I rented MW2, I had already made my mind up it wasn't my cup of tea - fun for a bit but not a buy.

Since I bought this, I know I'll be tempted to think it's better by nature, but also, this one just tempted me more based on what I'd read.  The same friend tried to get me to buy MW2 and I'd resisted.

I'll chime in as I play more. :)

Art Blade

fragger

If Black Ops is anything like the recent CoD titles, the SP game will be very  short and linear. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong :-\\

JRD

What I know so far is that BO is causing a huge fuss due to a mission where you have to assassinate Fidel Castro in the 1960's Cuba.

I assume you play different times and places on independent missions with only specific goals, loadout, strategy etc... if this is it, I don't think it's really good on a SP perspective but should be a blast for MP

spaceboy

you're right JRD, so far I've done a few levels and its basically you playing flashbacks of one guy that is currently under interrogation.  Honestly I'm hardly following the story itself.  SP gameplay is a bit too streamlined so far.  Fun enough, but, you know...  MP was more fun.  Hopefully SP picks up more.

JRD

Although the idea of playing missions in different places and in different times gives player good variety, I doubt that dev's can successfuly fit a plot to connect them all. Therefore the story probably lacks immersion as it doesn't gives you the sense of continuity. Why should you do a little more if there's no evident benefit like better guns, armor or upgrades and perks?

Anyway... it can be good fun though, I'm not complaining about a game I barely saw, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that as all CoD games, BO is aiming at the MP audience!

mmosu

Like many action movies which seem to be explosions first and plot second, it unfortunately seems that many FPS's have become an opportunity for programmers to show off and put together a really slick MP mode and then a half-baked plot is tacked on almost as an afterthought so that marketing has something to w@&k with.

I would love to see someone come out with a killer MP shooter and then actually admit they completely phoned it in on the plot, or even better neglected to create one altogether.  Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I just describe MAG?  ????

Tags:
🡱 🡳