Spoilers: Fallout New Vegas

Started by PZ, October 22, 2010, 08:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Here's a good place to put spoilers.  As has been mentioned in another topic, FNV will be much more sophisticated than FO3 in how you're perceived in the apocalyptic world.  If you encounter an event that is likely to change the game play depending on your choice of action, post your thoughts here to give others a fair warning that an important choice needs to be made.

Ricamundo

Good idea. If you wish, cut and paste my spoiler from the other thread here to get it started. I believe its pretty much the first "fork in the Road" that you encounter in NV.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Here's a spoiler posted by Ricamundo in another thread regarding how you can change the course of the game by your actions:

Spoiler
Quote from: Ricamundo on October 22, 2010, 06:06:34 AM
BTW, i completed that mish where you help the guy hiding in the garage to kill his pursuers, but now ive been tagged as "Vilified" and that military base which was on my Pipboy as "neutral" is now an enemy. I understand that your actions will have many more consequences in NV than in FO3, so i guess some areas or missions will now be harder or impossible to get. Should be interesting... 8)

PZ

This is my experience in dealing with a couple of prisoners held by the Legion

Spoiler
I experienced much the same as you did, Ric with the "Vilified" thing, only it was at a different location in the game - evidently the Legion had a couple punks captured and one of my options was to release them, which I did.  Immediately the Legion guards started firing on me, and when I dispatched them, I received the dialog box describing my bad behavior.  Because I didn't want to have a bad reputation, I restarted from the last autosave and went about some other business - the Helios tower mission. During that mission I learned that the Legion was a bad force, so I thought that dispatching them would be good.  I made my way back to the camp where the prisoners were being held, set them free, and killed all the Legion soldiers.  Now I'm vilified, and that's where I left the game.

JRD

Why do we need spoiler buttons on a spoiler thread?  ???? ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

so they can spoil the spoilers.  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: JRD on October 22, 2010, 08:20:03 AM
Why do we need spoiler buttons on a spoiler thread?  ???? ;D

Just in case you want to see some spoilers, but not others.  ;)

It would be best to preface the spoiler with a brief description of what the reader will find beneath the button, so there are no surprises.

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Ricamundo

SPOILER>>>>> Well, i finished my first playthru of NV the other day, and i have to say i was underwhemed at the ending. :-\\ Of course, i probably screwed it up a bit by killing Caesar and wiping out his camp before i ever ventured near the Hoover Dam, but anyways, i killed the legion invaders, and negotiated a truce of a sort between Yes Man and his robot army,  and the NCR.

I wanted the NCR, the closest thing to an official law and order type of orginisation, to win the day, but im not sure of what steps i should or shouldnt have taken beforehand, but anyways, it was a fun game. I think i prefer the wastes of Nevada or of FO3 over the streets of Sin City. Vegas itself just didnt do much for me, since few if any of the gangs there deserved my help. ::) It also seemed rather small and insignificant compared to the sheer size and scope of DC.

All in all, a rather lazy continuation of FO3, kind of a big addon mod, rather than a stand alone "new" game. There were too many boarded up buildings all over the place, as if they knew the mod community would fill them up for free, so they just left them that way. Also, every action for or against any group either started or failed quests, sometimes both. ::) kind of confusing at times. ????

I have started a new playthru, adding a couple more mods and at a higher LOD, and we'll see if this one goes along better.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Quote from: Ricamundo on December 04, 2010, 10:45:01 AM
.... There were too many boarded up buildings all over the place, as if they knew the mod community would fill them up for free, so they just left them that way.

Sure does look like it - I have to agree - after playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and noticing how different (new) the game is, I am disappointed in how much FNV is like FO3.  AC:B is in 1080p while AC2 is 720p - the developers have done a great job of greatly increasing the detail in the graphics, to say nothing of how much the game play itself has improved.  In contrast, the game play and virtually everything in FNV is the same as FO3, and I've not been back into New Vegas since I purchased AC:B.  Interestingly, there was a longer period between FO3 and FNV than between AC2 and AC:B.

I guess the biggest disappointment for me in FNV is that the graphics are no better than FO3.  Don't get me wrong, I do like the game, it's just that the developers could have done so much more than they did, and the empty buildings as you mentioned, are the last nail in the coffin as far as appreciation of the job they did in this sequel.  Like you, I also feel like this is more like a large addon than a new game - in fact, I'd rather that you could travel seamlessly between FO3 and FNV.  That would have been a better solution - make the game an addon if you have FO3 and a new install if you don't have it.

Tags:
🡱 🡳