First patch - the game is only a day old

Started by PZ, October 20, 2010, 08:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Here's another really annoying thing about Steam - after a single day, Steam decided to update the game without notifying me.  So far, this patch is 2 hours into the download and is only barely half done.  It should be final sometime after 4 or so hours of download time, well beyond the time I have allotted to play.  In other words, my entire evening of anticipated play is spent waiting for a Steam download - the download rate is 20k (that's right, no typo - 20k/sec)

Of course, I tried to go offline, but Steam reported that I cannot play the game in offline mode once the update has started - how outrageous.  :D >:((

PZ

OK, I thought - I'll just play Sniper, Ghost Warrior while I wait.  About 20 minutes into the game I alt-tab out to the desktop to see the progress of the FNV update and guess what - when I started Ghost Warrior, Steam paused the FNV update!!! - now can't I play any game activated through Steam while it does it's unsolicited game update- outrage upon outrage!

What a totally stupid way to micromanage a purchaser's games.  :D

JRD

Indeed that nanny behavior of STEAM is absolutely annoying  >:((

That`s why I ALWAYS leave STEAM on offline mode. This way it`s just a game manager from where I can launch, backup and check stats of my STEAM games. If I want to check for updates or anything else, I fire STEAM as I wake up on a Saturday or late at night before going to bed so STEAM can do it`s deeds as I mind my own business.

But you are right, STEAM should ask you (with an estimated download time) before updating anything  >:(( >:((

And WHY can`t we play while it downloads an update for another game?!?!?!?!  :D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

deadman1

You can turn off the autoupdating by right clicking on the game in the Steam menu, select "properties", then select the tab that says "updates".  Click where it says "Always keep this game up to date" and change that to " Do not automatically update this game".
When you feel the need for an update just turn them back on and the game should update normally, you might possibly have to restart Steam for the update process to start.  :)

Edit: Just remembered, this method works for all games on steam.

deadman1

Here´s an example of the bugs that have been reported so far:

Fallout New Vegas intro bug

All I can say is:  ???

fragger

I can commiserate, PZ. I still have about 6-8 hours' worth of Half-Life episode updates on hold at Steam. Meaning, of course, that I can't play any of those games until the updates are done. I can't un-update them either - once the updates have started, they've started. I can pause them, but there's no way I can get back to a pre-update condition, should I wish to, so I'm Half-Lifeless until Steam deigns to give me the nod.

As for the DL rate, I thought that was just me and my wonky net connection. Evidently the delay is at Steam's end - unless your connection is as sluggish as mine, which I highly doubt. You're on mainland USA while I'm on a tenuous wireless connection in the Aussie countryside, so I'd be surprised if your access is anything near as surreal as mine. In my wayward youth I had bad trips that seemed shorter than an update stint with Steam.

@deadman - Thanks for the tip, I'm going to attend to that once I'm out of here. Unfortunately it doesn't help with the updates that I'm already halfway into. I just have to persevere with those :D

Hmmm... I wonder if I can score a Strawberry Field to pop while I'm waiting...

Ricamundo

Wow, that's unbelievable about Steam, or perhaps i should say believable. :D Oddly when steam first reared its fugly head on my installing of FONV, it remembered i always played HL2 in offline mode so thats where it started. I switched to online mode briefly whilst FO installed and when it was ready to play i went back to offline mode, so hopefully when i play later, it wont hit me with a stupid update. >:((
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

fragger

;D

Hopefully this is superfluous advice, but maybe you should have a strong cuppa and a good book at the ready :-\\

PZ

Thanks for the advice and solutions, guys - you'd think that they could program the client a bit better than what they have.  It's pathetic to have to say that Microsoft does a better job in their software.

Interesting bug deadman - I'd not seen that on in my game - mine was fine.  At least the developers are right on top of the fixes rather than letting things sit for months with no resolution (like some of the FC2 issues and Ubisoft)

JRD

With a glitch like that you don't need a patch, you need an exorcist!  ???
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Ricamundo

Well, i finally had time yesterday to pl;ay for a couple of hours. Steam fired up and i went right into offline mode, so it didnt start any updates for me thank god. I played for a while, and aprt from getting the crap beat out of me by a Deathclaw, which seemed immune to multiple hits from a 357, i had no problems. So far, i can even save and close the game to DT without a crash, like i had in FO3. ;)

BTW, i saw 3 different reviews and all pretty much rated NV at 8.5 or so, a fair rating i'd say.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Tags:
🡱 🡳