Modding news

Started by PZ, October 20, 2010, 10:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Good News for those waiting for mods to be developed for Fallout New Vegas.  One of the Nexus members did a detailed comparison of the assets in F)3 and FNV - out of the total combined Adjusted Asset count of 54,930 files, 18,008 are common to both games (common meaning they share the same file path, file name and file size). Said another way, 32.78% (roughly 1/3) of all Adjusted Assets in Fallout3 were transferred to Fallout: New Vegas, and are thus common in both games.

Ricamundo

A dumb question for ya. I didnt want to post it in the mods section, since that should just be for linkage and so on, but where the hell is NV installed? I cant find it. :-[ Where do you install a mod for NV? I want to try that sniper rifle.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

That sniper is awesome!  Although I'm on Vista, the location should be somewhat similar:

Program files\Steam\SteamApps\Common with a path from that folder.  You should see the games listed there.  From that point, FNV will have the typical folder structure where you dump the mods into the Data folder.

Ricamundo

Many thx PZ. :-X Its under Valve, if you can believe that. ::) No wonder i couldnt find it. I installed it in the data folder, so later on, i'll go in and find that crate. Im kind of desperate for a half decent weapon, as all the ones im carrying are total crap against pretty much anything larger than a coyote or bloatfly. >:(

An old machete i found  actually was more effective against radscorpions than my 357. >:((

Spoiler....

Spoiler
BTW, i completed that mish where you help the guy hiding in the garage to kill his pursuers, but now ive been tagged as "Vilified" and that military base which was on my Pipboy as "neutral" is now an enemy. I understand that your actions will have many more consequences in NV than in FO3, so i guess some areas or missions will now be harder or impossible to get. Should be interesting... 8)
Edit: I used the spoiler button to hide the spoiler for you. /Art
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

I'm glad that you found the location, Ric.  When I went to the crate, it has at least 6-8 rifles in it, and you can take as many as you want.  They are very valuable (over 7000 caps) so I'm wondering if I can sell them for lots of cash.  The only difference between the rifles seems to be in color - black, gold, or camo.

Spoiler
I experienced much the same as you did, Ric with the "Vilified" thing, only it was at a different location in the game - evidently the Legion had a couple punks captured and one of my options was to release them, which I did.  Immediately the Legion guards started firing on me, and when I dispatched them, I received the dialog box describing my bad behavior.  Because I didn't want to have a bad reputation, I restarted from the last autosave and went about some other business - the Helios tower mission. During that mission I learned that the Legion was a bad force, so I thought that dispatching them would be good.  I made my way back to the camp where the prisoners were being held, set them free, and killed all the Legion soldiers.  Now I'm vilified, and that's where I left the game.

Ricamundo

Nice! Of course you'll run into the same problem trying to sell expensive addon stuff in NV as in FO3; none of the vendors/traders have enough caps. :-\\

Ok, i started up the game, and there's no crate. :'( I followed the path, right to the data folder and dumped the file there. When i went in to have a gander, the sniper files are inside the data folder, including the M82 esp. When i looked in the NV Data files list on my desktop(the one you see when you start the game,) the box just has the NV esm in there. Is the M82 supposed to show up there or what?

The other weird thing is i seem to have lost a bunch of saves. Ive been using QS most of the time, although i hadnt turned off the default save when resting etc saves until just now. Im back to before i help the guy in the gas station again. ::) Now that i think about it. ive lost virtually all my saves from yesterday, as the game started where i QS'ed the day before. >:(

I think from now on ill do what i did in FO3, hit esc, and save from the main menu.

Ricamundo

I reinstalled the mod, this time stopping at the NV main folder, rather than the data folder and now she works. 8) Only thing is, theres no %^$%%#$#!@ ammo for the sniper, it uses .308 cal and the vendor has none, and none came with the mod, just lots of copies of the gun. too bad i cant try it yet.

I have re done the part of the game that myteriously disappeared via missing quicksaves. I now use the main menu save, which appears to only give you 1000 saves. If and when you reach 1000, then what? Im sure ive had more than 1000 saves in pervious playthru's. hard to beieve i know, but i like to save,  a lot! perhaps you have to delete some early saves, which wouldnt be a problem, i guess.

PZ

Quote from: Ricamundo on October 22, 2010, 08:11:12 AM
Nice! Of course you'll run into the same problem trying to sell expensive addon stuff in NV as in FO3; none of the vendors/traders have enough caps. :-\\

Yeah, it is relatively easy to bankrupt the vendors - I don't recall how I got the .308, but I already had rounds before I picked up the rifle.

Strange about your saves, but like you mentioned, I recall some kind of quick save problem with FO3 that might have crept into FNV.

One thing to remember when installing mods - the folder structure.  Open the downloaded compressed file and look to see the folder structure.  Typically with the smaller mods that have textures, meshes, etc, you will see an .esp with a data folder.  If this is the case, you would unzip to the FNV folder.  If you only see an .esp (or .esm) then you would copy it to your data folder.

deadman1

@PZ: Are you using FOMM with these mods for NV?

Ricamundo

Quote from: deadman on October 22, 2010, 12:05:57 PM
@PZ: Are you using FOMM with these mods for NV?

I had thought of that too, so i checked the Nexus Forums, and the modder who did FOMM for FO3 hasnt done 1 for NV yet, and someone did try to use the old one in NV and no workie. :( I'll be glad when theres a NV FOMM as it takes the guesswork out of installing mods. :-X

According to some peeps @ Nexus forums they had some disappearing saves too, and the likely culprit is Steam. What a %&^$%!! parasite Steam is, sheesh!

PZ

As Ric mentioned, FOMM is not available yet.  There is a very basic FNVEdit that has been posted, and I'll be glad when that is out to play with.

In the mean time, I'd recommend exercising care when installing mods that semi-permanently change the game.  The ones I'm using are typically only an .esp which changes game parameters, but does not change the game files themselves.  If I download a mod that contains a data folder, then the only ones I use are those that do not overwrite vanilla game files so I can easily revert back if I choose to do so.  There are only a few examples, the Pipboy scan line removal mod is one I'll use forever - it consists only of a couple of textures that replace the awful vanilla versions.

Are you playing yet, deadman?

Art Blade

Quote from: Ricamundo on October 22, 2010, 11:18:18 AMIf and when you reach 1000, then what?

It should w@&k just the same as with most other games:

You go to the savegame folder, mark all those savegames, and move them into a backup<#> folder. Like backup1, backup2.. like that, you'll get another 1,000 free savegame slots. Just copy back from your backup folder into that savegame folder if you want to replay old savegames.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

Quote from: PZ on October 22, 2010, 01:32:16 PM
As Ric mentioned, FOMM is not available yet.  There is a very basic FNVEdit that has been posted, and I'll be glad when that is out to play with.

In the mean time, I'd recommend exercising care when installing mods that semi-permanently change the game.  The ones I'm using are typically only an .esp which changes game parameters, but does not change the game files themselves.  If I download a mod that contains a data folder, then the only ones I use are those that do not overwrite vanilla game files so I can easily revert back if I choose to do so.  There are only a few examples, the Pipboy scan line removal mod is one I'll use forever - it consists only of a couple of textures that replace the awful vanilla versions.

Are you playing yet, deadman?

Oh yes, I installed it last night after I finished MOH. I have already been chased around Goodspring by a radscorpion because the weapons I have are pure garbage  :D, and i need to find some flowers and roots for the girl I met inte saloon but I have no idea what the look like  \:/

Art Blade

just get a shovel and drag your entire backyard to her. Maybe she likes some of that stuff..  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: deadman on October 23, 2010, 03:38:10 AM
... and i need to find some flowers and roots for the girl I met in the saloon but I have no idea what the look like  \:/

They were a bit of a challenge for me as well, but I clicked "Show location" in the Pipboy and it did narrow the search quite a bit.

deadman1

Quote from: PZ on October 23, 2010, 01:58:51 PM
Quote from: deadman on October 23, 2010, 03:38:10 AM
... and i need to find some flowers and roots for the girl I met in the saloon but I have no idea what the look like  \:/

They were a bit of a challenge for me as well, but I clicked "Show location" in the Pipboy and it did narrow the search quite a bit.

Thanks PZ, I managed to find them in the end and now I´m a master at making stuff in a campfire  :-X

PZ

Quote from: deadman on October 24, 2010, 01:26:43 AM
... now I´m a master at making stuff in a campfire  :-X
I've yet to make anything, and am carrying a ton of weight.  However, I use "tgm" so I can carry whatever i want.  I'm waiting for one of my favorite mods to be ported to FNV - it is called "Hideout", and has all sorts of item sorters and w@&k benches

Ricamundo

I've noticed the FONW mod manager is out, although the modder has made it clear the original author is going to make a proper one, so his is just a copy, so i think ill wait till the dust settles a bit on that one. Same with the Mojave expansion mod, since its going to be expanded quite a bit over time, ill wait till its done.

The other day i noticed that there was an update for NV out, so i went online and Steam updated from the origianl disc to v 1.11271 or summat like that. I had also been wondering if some of the crashes i had been experiencing were due to too much heat, so i loosened my case side door and i am quite pleased that the random crashes have all but stopped, knock on wood. :-X Whether its less heat, or the patch, or both, i care not, so its all good.
SPOILERS>>>>>>
Just an observation about my experiences as i progress, if you can call it that. Now that ive gotten into the heart of the game, in New Vegas, i have to admit more than a bit of puzzlement over the myriad clans, gangs, syndicates, and groups, most of which are hard to pin down on whether they're totally good, or totally evil.

The quests you can get so often depend on alliances, and seem to be overlapped and intricately intertwined, and one wrong move may cause a cascade of failed quest messages, as happened to me yesterday. One of my quests said to go meet the Legion boss, who is an arrogant a$$, and he sent me to kill Mr House, but then i'd lose his quests, one of which was to visit and if nescessary, kill the Bombers at Nellis AFB, who turned out to be quite rreasonable, i thought, once i evaded their withering bombardment of me, even tho i was still out of sight of their base at the time. ::)

Trying to follow a path of supporting the good guys and kicking bad guy a$$ isnt easy in this game, not by a long shot. :-\

PZ

Spoiler
I found the same as you, Ric - the story is quite intricate and much can be lost if you make poor choices.  My standard practice now is to make a save at a critical time - just before I do something that might result in someone's death, etc.  That way, I can revert back to the save and make a different choice.  I recall one time killing Mr. House just to see what would happen, and found an interesting place to explore after his death.  It was lucky that I was in God mode, else I'd never have experienced that.

PZ

Underground Hideout is in beta - there are only two files, a .BSA and the .ESP, so if you are the experimental type that likes to get in on an early test of the mod, here's the place to go: http://danthegeek.webs.com/

Tags:
🡱 🡳