OsseousLabyrinth MP Map

Started by DaWorFizm, October 08, 2010, 05:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaWorFizm

Where to start... I can't overstate this enough, This map (obviously) is not the final cut, I believe it needs a fair amount of in-game testing and feedback in order to complete. Hopefully that's where seasoned FC2 players can help me. Before you go downloading maps and setting up servers etc, please take a look at my test/tour vids : (Comments are appreciated.)

http://www.xfire.com/profile/daworfizm/videos/

If you decide you would like to check it out and/or contribute some playtime with feedback (beta-testing) to the final stages of development you can download the latest release from the OWG downloads page or use ubi-community in game ('OsseousLabyrinth Beta 0.9' at the time of this post.) or you can download them (all betas) directly from my blogsite @ http://dwf.homeip.net/files/FarCry2/Maps/

I have found with this map it's a love/hate type thing, mainly due to the size of it, players who like multiple frags per-minute don't seems to warm to it as it can take quite a while to find people, especially in Deathmatch. - I highly recommend starting with CTD as it's the mode tested the most and it's rather easy to find players if they have a plume of red/green smoke following them.

I have to mention Pac!ent as being one of the most inspirational designers I've come across and just the pure quality of his designs provided a high benchmark to w@&k toward, many thanks to Pac!ent for his efforts.

Designed from a 'what if' point of view. - i.e. while making it the thought that was mostly in my head was... "Wouldn't it be cool if such and such scenario was played out in this particular way" - Things like packing 4 ppl into a car and driving around the back of a base 3 players jump out to storm the base while the driver heads to a pre-determind pick up spot. - Scenarios like this are the motivations I held on to due to not actually playing the game.

Dual-Vehicle paths. - There's a number of roads/rivers that overlap, i.e. you can take a car or a boat through these sections.

Hidden/Underground access. - There's a few places that are not visible as paths unless you know they're there. i.e. underground pipes, underwater access points - There's even a toilet where you can 'escape through the sewer' if you destroy the wooden palette in front of it.

Booby-traps! - Go to either UFLL or APR base and you'll spot a yellow-barrel, this is the 'trigger' and 90% of the time, depending on where u shoot it from, this causes a number of other explosions around the base. - Especially effective if you spot 'diamond-smoke' near one of these barrels. (Best to shoot it from a fair distance until you've seen the result. )

Well I hope that's enough info to get people curious at the least. - I have put alot of love into this map and while I think I've already got my monies worth from making it, I would like to believe it's one of the better MP maps available that can be played for years to come once it's finalised.
Da-Worf~izm. - "A pathological condition of arrested growth having various causes."

Art Blade

Thanks for your contribution, DaWorFizm  :-X

I know from a different post that you spent an insane amount of time creating this map, so I do hope people appreciate it and help you test it :) (Just on an aside, I do not play FC MP myself)

And by the way, you gave me quite a start with this:
Quote from: DaWorFizm on October 08, 2010, 05:52:18 PMI highly recommend starting with CTD as it's the mode tested the most
Why? Because I know "CTD" only as "Crash To Desktop"  ??? But I realise it is probably something like Catch The Diamond or so.  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

DaWorFizm

You're welcome.  8) - If there are no objections I would like to use OWG as the main 'port of call' for promoting my map(s) - two other WIP's that may see the light of day if I get OL finished. - I will of course post around the web, but if it doesn't bother anyone I'd like to submit here and redirect people so I'm not all over the place.

I noticed OWG had a FC2.MP server some time ago, that's a real shame it's gone, Looks like it was widely used.  :(
"...If any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate them."  :-D

Yerp, I also hope it (map) gets out there, I find level design in FC2editor quite therapeutic - I was very much hoping there would be an SDK of sorts, some way to create SP scenarios like in crysis, but that doesn't look like it'll ever happen. - Thanks to OWG posts, I was made aware of the FC2editor mods, which has given me a whole new barrel of fish to shoot at. Along the way I read about an AI-Mod in production which unfortunately has died due to legal reasons... (I hope, but doubt very much, that Ubi will release FC2 as open source in the way iD did for quake.)
Da-Worf~izm. - "A pathological condition of arrested growth having various causes."

Art Blade

Quote from: DaWorFizm on October 08, 2010, 06:50:50 PMIf there are no objections I would like to use OWG as the main 'port of call' for promoting my map(s)

No objections, go ahead, mate :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Interesting name - the bony maze of the inner ear.  :-X

Art Blade

Good for hearing-impaired people (due to acoustic incidences) - they can feel their way through the map and follow heat sources (like, exploding barrels). -- On second thoughts, I think I was describing blind people -- anyway, good for everybody who likes to play with guns :)

JRD

You might as well try to get in touch with this guy Pac!ent

He's a fellow OWG member who loves to play and build MP maps... he made some great maps you can find linked here from the MP page.

Also, DKM2 is moderating the MP page and is responsible for the server.

I'm pretty sure both of them will be more than happy to help you out with whatever you need from OWG!

Good luck and enjoy, mate!  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Yes, I wasn't quite sure if DaWorFizm actually met Pac!ent or only knew his name so far, since he mentioned him in his first post as a source of inspiration. Should be fun though, if they get into contact going "I'm member of OWG" -- "Me too!"  :)

DaWorFizm

Quote from: PZ on October 08, 2010, 07:16:06 PM
Interesting name - the bony maze of the inner ear.  :-X
:-D - It took me ages to decide on it, I was flipping though an anatomy book and it caught my attention and figured it was well suited for my mapping style.

My other maps are named 'ApocalypseCow', 'FortunateSon' and 'District9' - I'm sure you know the references  ;)

Quote from: JRD on October 09, 2010, 05:43:20 PM
You might as well try to get in touch with this guy Pac!ent

He's a fellow OWG member who loves to play and build MP maps... he made some great maps you can find linked here from the MP page.
I only found his youtube channel yesterday - I've subscribed and sent a friend request but haven't checked today, I'll send one here too. cheers.  :-X

Quote from: Art Blade on October 09, 2010, 06:05:08 PM
Yes, I wasn't quite sure if DaWorFizm actually met Pac!ent or only knew his name so far, since he mentioned him in his first post as a source of inspiration. Should be fun though, if they get into contact going "I'm member of OWG" -- "Me too!"  :)
Nope never talked to him, downloaded a couple of his early maps, just had a look at his latest (last!?!) map for FC2, Sweet water - Which made me want to watch the movie so I'm watching 'Once Upon A Time In The West' as I post this.  :-D

OL beta 1.0 is in progress, I spent about 5 hours this morning on it, added a couple of things that I thought of last year but never got around to it. Replaced a few objects and removed some of the 'out of place' buildings/objects. Added 2 more bridges (1 vehicle, 1 foot.) Closed off one of the waterways due to adding a swampboat. Tweaked the boobytraps (again) so hopefully they'll w@&k 95% of the time. Removed lots of underwater grass/plants, replaced lots of rocks in order to get the object count down a bit so I can start detailing areas.

-Really want to test the Uprising areas after reading some posts on ubi-forums, I'm not sure but I might have to rethink the entire uprising sections. I thought it was standard control-point type stuff now I don't know what to make of it.
I'm estimating that the overall layout is 90-95% complete unless I have to redo the uprising sections.  :D

PZ

Quote from: DaWorFizm on October 09, 2010, 09:38:59 PM
... so I'm watching 'Once Upon A Time In The West' as I post this.  :-D
One of my favorite westerns - the harmonica says little but speaks volumes

Art Blade

Good luck with your map, mate. I hope that pac!ent will help you and that you won't have to redo those uprising (Bob Marley? :) ) sections. I used to map for other games so I can relate.

DaWorFizm

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

- APR Base (Beta 0.1)

- APR Base (Beta 0.5)

- APR Base (Beta 0.7)

- East Side (Beta 1.0)

- West Side (Beta 1.0)

edit: removed the "height" code so width=600 rather than 800 actually works without breaking out of the board. /Art

PZ

Art Blade

I love the West side view. Man, that looks cool!  ??? :-X

fragger

That's a great looking map, DaWorFizm :-X

DKM2

Hi DaWorFizm,

Looking forward to checking out some of your maps, even though I don't run a
server any longer, I do still play once and awhile.
Mostly weekends on Pac!ent CTD Player match server if I can, as I don't
like DM at all, just the team games.

The link for Pac!ent site is; http://farcry2.cz
You can get a lot of his and his members other maps, most are all quite good.
(there is a menu button that switches to English)

He also has a Ubisoft page with links to my Server Manager that he hosts.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5071014757/m/4311099138
I don't really support it any longer though. Too many other w@&k projects on the go.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

DaWorFizm

Osseous Labyrinth alpha 1.0 is done.  :o
Download it in-game or from OpenWorldGames downloads.

- APR Base (alpha 1.0)

- APR Base (alpha 1.0)

Art Blade

Thanks a lot for your w@&k and for those nice pics. Love them (the map looks brilliant).

Did you know that you may upload those pics right here? Would be a lot quicker displaying them, the current source takes a while to load them, even for me on broadband.

DaWorFizm

Quote from: Art Blade on October 16, 2010, 08:04:54 PM
Thanks a lot for your w@&k and for those nice pics. Love them (the map looks brilliant).

Did you know that you may upload those pics right here? Would be a lot quicker displaying them, the current source takes a while to load them, even for me on broadband.
Thank you, I believe it's coming along nicely, I have someone setting up a server here in AU for testing so this will be the last update while I get a better idea of how it plays out as it is. I'm hopeful it's not going to require too much reworking, just spawn/cap points. maybe the ammo piles too.

- I looked for an attachment option but couldn't find one, where do I go to upload images?

Art Blade

top of the page, menu bar, button "Media"  :)

DaWorFizm

Hi guys, I've got a friend hosting my map on a dedicated server but we've come up against a brickwall.  :D
- If anyone knows what's going on/can turn us towards a solution to this I would be muchly thankful as it's got me pulling hair out.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5071014757/m/5141008888

Please take a look at his post and let us know if there's something obvious we're missing.

Cheers.

DKM2

Hmmm, a few questions, are you running through a router, and what specs are the PC/server?

I would think once you have it running properly it should be okay, it could be an Ubisoft
problem, they have never been too reliable. Problems sometimes just go away by magic.  ????

You could try using one of the Server extender/managers that are around to see if you get better results.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

sometimes it's got nothing to do with those configurations, check that you configured your firewall to allow TCP and UDP ping (that might have caused the 9999 ping and thinking it was inactive)

DaWorFizm

He's not not running it though a router, it's cable modem direct to server unit with NAT disabled - it says here :

"Note: If your DSL-302G is in Bridge Mode or has NAT disabled you do not need to open ports in the
modem. With such setup your computer (or router) should be using public IP address (the one your
Internet provider gives you) and should be directly accessible from the Internet."

Server is runnning XP Pro (Don't know the specs, I'll check this evening when he's finished w@&k.)
-I've had a look at the dedicated_log.txt and can see no differences to my own log.

I assume it's at his end because when I run a server with almost identical settings (- Except I don't have Outbound UDP - 3074 or Inbound UDP - 3074-3080 open.) people can connect OK and I've had it up for 3-4 hours with no issues apart from massive lag when more than 5-6 people join or someone is downloading the map.
(Due to my crappy ADSL2 upload speed).

DaWorFizm

Osseous Labyrinth (Alpha 1.1) is available (HUGE update - 20+ hours)  ???

* Added over 200 details/objects.

* Big reworking of the Uprising areas.  (still unfinished - need feedback...)

* Cleaned up all the unnecessary vegetation (under water/rocks) which has given a noticable frame rate boost.

* Tweaked 'parkour' areas and UFLL/APR explosive traps.

* Reworked spawn points.

Download in-game or from  OpenWorldGames.org downloads

Tags:
🡱 🡳