Artificial Dumbness

Started by JRD, March 12, 2009, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

Oh boy!  :-\

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on October 13, 2009, 11:17:14 AM
Interesting project, though, and requires more patience than I have, lol.

Hearing something like that from our mad skills uber involved map maker now has me scared. *heh heh*

If I can get one good profile completed as an example to show every one what to look for as they play through then I don't have to carry the entire load of of cataloging all the back story.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Please don't make it a chore for yourself, mandru, no one here will hold you to anything. Fun is still the name of the game! :)

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on October 14, 2009, 04:18:59 AM
no one here will hold you to anything

I'll decide that later.

Depending on his results.

Ok, I won't  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Crowd a CP and anything can happen.

[smg id=1559 align=center width=210]

At least Marcus was spared the embarrassment of having his learning permit revoked.
- mandru

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Good one, mandru! ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

Oh man. I just finished the mission in Leboa when you have to dig up that gold in the desert, at the Oasis, with your best buddy. I always thought this was one of the more intense firefights and most of the time my buddy gets it (but also, most of the times, I can bring him back with a happy syrette).

So this time, as always, I touched the gold and instantly turned towards the ladder to get back up to the surface as quickly as possible to help my idiot friend fight the mercs off. To our surprise, we managed to do so efficiently with neither one of us rendered incapacitated, perforated or spread about the place like toppings on a pizza.

My buddy, who was standing close to a clay wall, decided to turn around so he could start his ritual weapon cleaning but oh dear, there was a chunk of wall on the ground he could and did wedged his big stinking feet underneath and actually tripped, breaking his legs. Of course he had a blue smoke device implanted which automatically set off to call me (as if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes from only a couple of feet away).

Before I reloaded the savegame, I shot him in the head. Twice.

mandru

He he he!  ;D

Trust your BB to step in it.

Also, find a clean undamaged piece of the wall around there and then shoot it a couple times to break off a few pieces and then walk over them (the retaining walls in Dogon Sediko are the same Crumbly stuff), you will hear a "Thoop!" and if you watch closely you may be able to see part of the re-broken wall fly far off. Sometimes clean over the horizon.

In fact, the closest safe house to the Oasis there to the East of the Old Fort (for the first part of the "Kill a King" assignment) has a rusted up bicycle around the corner to the right of the door, leaning against the house. If you try to walk over it, it is yet another kick it over the horizon object out of many in the game.

Broken fish traps are fun too.  ;)
- mandru

Art Blade

thanks for those gems :) I didn't think about reproducing that for fun, but indeed I watched parts of the crumbled walls go off as if they were self-propelled.  ;D Going to check the fish traps and those bikes, never tried to send them flying to the moon hehe  :-X

edit:typo.

Art Blade

hey mandru, I just so happened to be around in Leboa, near the fort, precisely the "Well and Windmill shop" where I found a bicycle leaning against the garage with that big truck. Only then I remembered your post, played around a little (at first it wouldn't fly away) until finally it did a jump, bounced off my car and sailed away into the horizon  ;D ;D ;D :-X

mandru

@ ART  :-X

Sometimes the fragmented tops of propane or gas cylinders after they've exploded will also get super loft when walked over and kicked. 
- mandru

Art Blade

I've just seen something rather unexpected and utmost stupid: After the TaeMoCo mine was flooded, the valley to the south had turned into a river, below to the south of the nearby GP. On the opposite side of the valley and that GP is a safehouse I've just unlocked. Apparently the GP mercs took notice, because when I took a look across the valley, I noticed a couple of mercs running downhill towards the river and me. What I didn't expect was that the mercs didn't expect a river to be there, "suddenly," and through my scope I watched them drown one by one. LOL  :D ;D ;D ;D

[smg id=1750 align=center width=400]

PZ

aarrrgggg.... STUPID...

;D ;D ;D

Excellent story  :-X

fragger

Funny you should post that just now, Art. I discovered something new (for me, anyway) at the M-S Pipeline. Starting from the safehouse just near the Pipeline (the one with the comm tower outside), if you walk down into the the valley and keep going past the Pipeline camp, you find this high and dry boat:

[smg id=1751]

It's only high and dry though until you do the "rupture the pipeline" mission, after which it becomes usable:

[smg id=1752]

You can take the boat only so far before the new river runs out, just near that GP you described.

I love finding these things! You've got to wonder how many more of these little bonus discoveries are hidden away in the hills and dales of the FC2 landscape.

I've got a question about the M-S Pipeline: There's a hang glider just near the sniper's position to the west. Does anyone know what that's for? I've never needed to use it to get any diamonds or anything. Only use I can think of for it is to quickly get from the sniper's side of the canyon to the camp's side.

I know this isn't an "artificial dumbness" story, but it was sort of related to what Art posted above. Cool story by the way, mate :-X :-X

mandru

Fragger, if you take the boat you referred to after blowing the pipeline just as far as where the first native canoe on the right bank is, there's a trail that goes up to the roadway where the AT patrols. Then you can avoid risk from that CP further on down, while you are rushing to assist your BB at the diamond mine.

Climb up on the ridge of rock just across the road after leaving the boat and hiking up the trail, stage an ambush on the AT, steal it and you can then drive up the hill to the first cut on the left and with a bit of careful steering arrive at the diamond mine in good time with no exhaustion from running.

Now about the glider, I like to approach the Pipeline Mission in a way where after I've destroyed the cut off valve at the lake front I go back up to near the safe house your BB had briefed you about blowing the cut off and there is the road patrolled by an AT that goes down to that glider and the sniper tower overlooking the pipeline compound (there's also a Jackal tape and a diamond close together along that road).

As soon as I have control of that sniper tower and have killed the two guys there I first snipe the sniper on the opposing tower. Then I like to snipe as many of the mercs as I can, at least until they figure out what's going on and start hiding and then on the lower level of the sniper tower there's a mounted GL from where I can fairly pound most of the remaining resisting force.

** It dawns on me that I have never tried skipping the dynamite and blowing the pipeline weak spot with the mounted GL! Which would completely change the reason for having the glider right there! But I would still also have the AT I drove up to the overlook with and it would be faster than a glider trip. Decisions decisions. GAH! So many things I've yet to try. **

When all is quiet in at pipeline I hit the shack behind the overlook to grab fresh ammo and head up to the glider. If you are playing on a computer so that you can make a save before you launch, I would suggest doing that any time you take a glider (so much can go wrong). With this flight you are attempting to land at the head of the trail that leads down to the the swamp boat discussed above.

With this aerial trip you will need to quickly pull a U-Turn but try to keep it smooth. Be aware that this can be tricky and if you wobble out of control you will end up on the canyon floor and totally wasted the reason for taking the glider.

Don't fly too far away before turning back to the pipeline because the extra distance can cause all the mercs to regenerate so that when you get back they are waiting for you.

Even with a perfect flight, there will be a couple of the hiding mercs to clean up but I've enjoyed this approach because it adds some complexity to the various approaches that can add flavor to the mission.
- mandru

Art Blade

I tried to destroy that pipeline with a M79 (at least the power of the GL) and nothing happened. I think the game requires you to use the dynamite you stole from the mine.

On a sidenote, I've read so many times here and never managed to comment on the BB to be assisted in a fight after his/her mission was completed. I read so many times "to rush" there. You don't need to :) The fighting only starts once you've crossed an invisible border, and it doesn't matter from where you approach. It means, once you get inside a circle with your BB at its centre, the assistance part triggers. So I spent quite often a lot of time doing things before I decided to go help my buddy. Once you've crossed that line (hehe) you'll indeed have to be quick and/or thoughtful as to how you're going to help.

fragger

Cheers guys :-X :-X

I figured that was what the hang glider was for, but it's just one of the many things in this game that I haven't gotten around to trying yet. I've also tried to take out the pipeline with the mounted GL launcher at the cut, but it either wouldn't do the job or it wouldn't traverse to the correct position, I can't recall which.

PZ

It's been my experience that the GL doesn't swing to the left far enough to try the method, but I'll bet that Art is correct - you'd probably need to use the dynamite to get the job done.

KingRat

I bought the Eidos package off Steam, and am in the process of replaying DeusEx. Had something happen that made me think of these non-swimming mercs. I was doing the mission to get to Lebedev's 747. I swam through the tunnels and came up outside the boathouse/dock; I was spotted (in the water) by the guard with the flame thrower, and instead of flaming me (probably because I'm in the water) he drops the flame thrower, pulls out his knife and jumps in and starts swimming after me...I stopped him with a tranq dart  :)

DeusEx is a great game, rated #1 by PCGamer in the new issue. I just found it interesting that a 10 year old game had better A.I. (water) than FC2 when generally the DX A.I. is pretty dumb  ;D

JRD

Hey KingRat!
Nice feature about theat guy with a knife after you!!
I heard a lot about DeusEx... almost got it at STEAM as well, but I'm not a real RPG fan and already purchased some Star Wars RPG I have to keep playing!

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

KingRat

Quote from: JRD on January 05, 2010, 01:31:41 PM
Hey KingRat!
Nice feature about theat guy with a knife after you!!
I heard a lot about DeusEx... almost got it at STEAM as well, but I'm not a real RPG fan and already purchased some Star Wars RPG I have to keep playing!

Hi JRD,

Not much of an RPG fan myself, but DeusEx plays more like an FPS with RPG elements. I sure had to do some major tweaking to get it running on my system. You should give it a try when you have time  :)

fragger

I really enjoyed Deus Ex when it came out originally, and still fire it up occasionally. The graphics may be a bit dated compared to what's around today, but it stands up pretty well, I think. I agree with KingRat's summation of the game being FPS with RPG leanings. It also has a good dollop of replay value as many missions are relatively non-linear, and as your character is bionic you can "configure" him in a variety of ways. Good storyline, too.

I also like that you can knock people out instead of killing them. They're as good as dead for gameplay purposes in that they supposedly don't wake up until sometime after you've completed the mission and moved on. Once they're down, they're down for the count. I once completed the entire game without killing anyone except 3 of the principal characters, but you don't have a choice with them - it's them or you. But even then I sort of killed two of them by proxy.

Tip for KingRat (unless you know this already): When you get on board the 747 to meet Lebedev, Anna shows up - if you top her there on the plane, you'll get more skill points than you will if you let her top Lebedev. Also, once Anna's gone Lebedev will impart more information to you. Anna's tough though, so get behind her and use a big gun. A sniper rifle to the back of her head generally works well. Be careful though - she blows up when she croaks!

KingRat

Fragger,

I played DX so many times now I just start a new game with bCheatsEnabled True  ;D Even then I'll probably put in 50+hrs on it, I'm at the Brooklyn Navy Yard now....I was actually stationed there for a couple months back in the winter of '65. I was on the last ship built there(USS Duluth LPD-6) before they closed it down.

And as for Anna, sticking a LAM on the wall where she comes running in usually takes care of her  :)

JRD

Speaking of Deus Ex...
=============================================================

DEUS EX III

Projected release date: September 2010

Deus Ex 3. The sequel, the myth, the mystery. A game that's been passed around from generation to generation, and apparently, development studio to development studio. We know that Eidos established a new Montreal development house last year and that this group is tasked with the game. And we know that the game is also planned for release on the Xbox 360 and PS3. And...that's about it. The original Deus Ex was a quirky, open-ended RPG/shooter hybrid that became a cult classic on the PC. The sequel, Deus Ex: Invisible War, was developed from the ground up as a console game and in my opinion, and the opinions of other people as well, suffered for it. Which path will Deus Ex 3 take? We'll find out this year. Hopefully.
=============================================================
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

Quote from: KingRat on January 10, 2010, 09:34:08 AM
And as for Anna, sticking a LAM on the wall where she comes running in usually takes care of her  :)

D'oh! Why didn't I think of that? :D

Incidentally, KingRat, it was interesting to learn that you were at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Must have been a bit of a nostalgia trip for you when you first played DX :)

@JRD: I didn't know about DX3, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. Thanks for the early heads up :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳