Took a GLAT up north to do a couple of missions...

Started by PZ, February 26, 2011, 08:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

... and man was it fun.  Evidently the mercs in Leboa had never seen a grenade-launching truck before because no one ever tried to drive it.  There was one hair-raising moment however when their fire caused the black smoke to emit from my GLAT  ????

mandru

Were they predecessor missions PZ?

I didn't think that you could break away and go south to grab a GLAT before The first half of the game was wrapped up.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Not main missions (those are done before you go south); I'm actually on my 3rd assassination mission in Leboa - I decided to save all of them for when I was able to get a GLAT.

After the GLAT became available at all of my safe houses (Bowa only), I was doing odds and ends in Bowa and ended up at the Mike's - took a bus ride to the northwest bus stop, and rode the ATV through the pass toward the safe house that is part of the set of three on the west side of Bowa.  Picked up the GLAT at that spot and drove back into Leboa, then headed for the nearest cell tower.

So far, I've done:

• The suit in Schwasana - managed to sneak in from the west, and a single dart took out the guy - because no one was standing nearby to witness the event, I managed to get away without even raising any kind of alarm.
  • The suit in Mokuba was next - drove in from the north - parked my GLAT at the hairpin, and took out the RPG guy with the 6P9, then shelled the town until the "Mission complete" message popped up.  This was the easiest time I've ever had in Mokuba  :-()
  • My next mission takes me to the Airport - have not started on that one yet.
It has been a fun adventure - purposefully saving the assassination missions, then driving north in the GLAT and grenading the heck out of everything in my path.  I must say that my tactics for travel in the north have changed significantly since I drove the GLAT up to Leboa.  The secondary benefit is that the sense of immersion is greater - because I don't want to lose my ride, I'm driving it everywhere I go, and am seeing some marvelous scenery, some of which I've never seen before.

PZ

I just ran across this one from spearhead_22 (what a coincidence!) in the media block on the front page - brings back fond memories!

(I wonder if his new ride is equipped anything like this one :-())

[smg id=10 type=av]

fragger

Nice one, PZ :-X I've been playing the last couple of days starting from my last saved game in Bowa but I've already done all the hit missions in that one, so I might start a new playthrough just so I can eventually do what you've been doing with the GLAT, sounds like fun :) Besides, I was never crazy about picking up an old saved game of FC2 - I forget what I've gone through before the save and that takes away from the continuity, which in turn spoils the immersion factor a little for me. Anyway it's fun starting a fresh game with an optimistic smile, a set of shiny new guns, and murderous intent :-D

PZ

Quote from: fragger on February 26, 2011, 04:13:58 PM
... Anyway it's fun starting a fresh game with an optimistic smile, a set of shiny new guns, and murderous intent :-D
^+-+
Well said, my friend - I'm totally with you in your way of thinking - when I deleted all of my saved games on the PS3 is when I decided to give FC2 another go, and I've been enjoying it on both the console and PC ever since.  ;)

mandru

*** Edit: Please note, What I said here is fouled up!  Do not try to apply it.  PZ sets things straight in the next post! ***

Sorry PZ.  ????

Just so I'm clear, when the last faction mission is completed and Reuben calls we are able to avoid going to Lumber to see him and in place of that we can dash south, grab an GLAT and clear up any assassination missions that are outstanding?

That's news to me!  I thought I had to have my chat with Jackal and return north to whack the remaining faction boss before I could safely push through the corridor of sand that's the gateway to the South.

I agree with fragger on the thought of firing up a new round but where I've got all the North diamonds collected, all of the cell tower and the Bar Bet missions completed along with 5 out of 6 faction missions...

I think I'm just going to put it on the to do list for the next time around.

Way Cool.   8)   :-X

*** Edit: See edit note above or you'll be sorry.  >:D ***
- mandru

PZ

Quote from: mandru  on February 26, 2011, 05:23:11 PM
...Just so I'm clear, when the last faction mission is completed and Reuben calls we are able to avoid going to Lumber to see him and in place of that we can dash south, grab an GLAT and clear up any assassination missions that are outstanding?

Oh no, mandru - sorry that I have not been more articulate - the game plays as normal, you visit Reuben, get beat up at Mike's or the Church, end up crawling through the sand, etc.  Then you go to Bowa (to do whatever) and you can return to Leboa any time you like.  However, if you did not do the assassination missions before you visited Reuben, you can go back to visit a cell tower in Leboa and get your instructions for a "really good shoe...".

In the past, I've stolen the GLAT from the mercs near the northeast armory, driven through the Dogon Village (what a hair-raising ride) and made my way north.  In the current play through, I waited until the GLAT became available  at my safe houses before I went north to do the assassination missions.

mandru

OK, Thanks for the clarification PZ.   :-D

It's just the cell tower and predecessor missions.  I knew about going back North for the predecessor missions but wasn't aware of the cell tower jobs could be delayed.

Hmm... The cell towers are my first real source of cash to get outfitted with the dragunov, grenade launcher and dart rifle plus the upgrades as soon as possible.   :( 

I usually do cell towers right after the gun shop tasks and then the buddy runs once I feel less naked.   :-D

So I don't think I'll change the order of my typical play through but it's still nice to know it can be done.   :-X
- mandru

PZ

I know what you mean - my typical play is similar to yours.  However, with the availability of the DLC weapons from the start, I haven't felt the need to rack up the cash as much as before so I decided to try this new technique.  :-()

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru  on February 26, 2011, 05:51:26 PMwasn't aware of the cell tower jobs could be delayed.

I wrote an article called A Different Approach (if you've played FC2 through) September 12, 2009 - 14:00:51 Views: 372 (not rated yet despite nearly 400 views) where I described exactly this bit:

QuoteWith my new ride I decided to travel back to Leboa. Show those mercs what a proper AT looks, sounds and feels like. Blew up a couple of ATPs and DDs as well as some GPs with my southern warrier :) And now the desert, a couple of nice assassination jobs... some tapes... it is nice to keep some job offers open before you go to Bowa. If you feel like doing something different, drive back to Leboa and have some fun there :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Quote from: Art Blade on February 28, 2011, 04:53:12 PM

I wrote an article called A Different Approach (if you've played FC2 through) September 12, 2009 - 14:00:51 Views: 372 (not rated yet despite nearly 400 views)

Ah!  :)

That was posted a full 12 days before I became a member and could be why it slipped my memory.  ::)

I was trying to cover a lot of ground quickly to catch up in those days.  :P  ;)
- mandru

Art Blade

I remember that, you actually said so yourself back then :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I still think that Art is a computer - no human has a memory like that  :-()

Art Blade

Well, I have  :) .. here:

Quote from: mandru  on September 25, 2009, 10:10:35 PM

Plowing through the mountains of reading material here just trying to get up to speed and everything so far is impressive.

In the last two days I've only been able to squeeze in about an hours play time because I've been working my way through the message boards and finding lots of very interesting approaches to obstacles that I've until now just settled into my routine w@&k-arounds.

mandru

Heh heh.   :-D

Whew!  Almost two and a half years later. Who was that Greenie you were quoting Art?  He stinks of amniotic fluid!  :P

Considering the intensive efforts to keep the community safe from cyber threats,  an unparalleled database of gaming knowledge with full discussion and a widely varied circle of friends OWG becomes more impressive with time.   :-X
- mandru

Art Blade

..as impressive as your understanding of time ???

Quote from: mandru  on March 04, 2011, 03:13:15 PMAlmost two and a half years later.

I'm lagging behind roughly one year. Please let us know what we will have been missing ^-^

mandru

:-[

OK, a year and a half.  I've never claimed to be good with numbers.  In fact I'm sure I've mentioned somewhere that the exact opposite is more the truth of it.

Not to mention the fact that I suffer from a lousy internal sense of the passage of time.   :-D
- mandru

PZ

Art Blade

I can't help myself when I see something like that, and I simply ignore the fact that no one else would pick it up. I am a bit cheeky at times  :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳