Killzone 2 (PS3 Only)

Started by eor123, September 30, 2010, 08:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Sounds like this is a game that keeps you busy while it lasts. Although it doesn't seem to have lasted long.. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Well, like most FPS games the campaign isn't going to be all that long, but it has a deep multiplayer component to keep the action up if you wish...or, play it again  ;D

You must be a good shooter mmosu - I think it took me longer to get through it!  Nice job.  How did your fight with Radec go?
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

mmosu

It took probably a half dozen deaths before getting to the point where the chicken quit hidding behind all those RPG guys and faced me in person.  I relyed on grens and smgs for the floor guys and would swap to a sniper when the RPG troops showed up.  Once back on the floor I just kept side stepping in circles and shooting Radec until his active camo began to fail (that's what you get for bringing a knife to a gun fight).  When he went back up to the balcony I flanked up to the right corner (he was too busy trying to shoot Rico to see me make this move), paused behind the column to reload, then stepped out and dumped a whole mag into his left side to end the fight.  I must say I enjoyed watching him struggle to get his sidearm up and blow his own brains out before we could capture him . . . coward  :-D.

Art Blade

Quote from: mmosu on November 07, 2010, 07:04:46 AMI must say I enjoyed watching him struggle to get his sidearm up and blow his own brains out

^+-+

Actually I shouldn't be laughing but worry about you, too, now. :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Well . . . it was the most satisfying head shot of the whole game  :-()

spaceboy

interesting, my fight with him ended on the floor, but yours didn't, that's cool because I assumed it was more or less scripted of when you could actually kill him (ie. 2nd time on the floor or whatever).  I remember using those awesome electrically charged grenades in that fight.

mmosu

That is cool, because the cut scene that occurs when he goes down, well, occured right where he went down in my version.  He ended up on his back across the doorway to Visari's office when he did himself, not in some arbitrarily predetermined spot.  That means that cut scene isn't really a cut scene but something the game generates new each time it happens.  Interesting little view into the game structure there  :-X

Art Blade

reminds me of JC2. I downloaded a mod that changed my appearance and the next thing I did was play a mission which happened to involve a "cut scene" where I could admire my new self in a new outfit. Looked funny because I wore the uniform of the enemy while teaming up against said enemy.  ;D

mmosu

Made my first foray into MP last night, and I must say, it was a good time!  It was a fairly large game I was in on, about a dozen players per side it felt like.  The objectives and game rules kept switching (assination turned into capture and hold, which turned into body count, which turned into sabotage, etc) which meant you had to be on your toes and aware of where both your teammates and the current objectives were to be successful.  As luck would have it, my team won both games, and I'm already starting to climb the MP ranking system that will eventually grant my character some interesting abilities (for instance, the ability to place automated sentry turrets, open up extra spawn points for my team, and deploy active camouflage for some stealthy activities  >:D).  So far the competition has been fair, but I've been letting the computer auto-match me with games involving players who are on the same experience level as me, so pretty much it's been a noob-fest (a lot of people running around looking at the ceiling and not being able to figure out who's shooting them :-D)

spaceboy

nice.  I really liked a few of the maps.  I know I've got Black Ops and also I just picked up The Fight Lights Out (a Move fighting game - which is awesome...more on that later).  But maybe I can join you in KZ2 if it works out sometime.  I don't think we're on PSN friends list are we?  What's your PSN? mine is spaceboy21.   

Those sentry turrets are great, the right placement can help a lot.

mmosu

Love the idea Space, my PSN is mmwosu.
One cool thing I'm noticing in this game is where it appears that the devs drew much of the inspiration for the look and operation of the Helghast weapons from.  Many of their weapons either look like hybrids of guns that exist in the real world, and some of them even look like things that started as industrial tools and were adapted into weapons.  For example, the standard Helghast assault rifle, which first appeared with a similar design in KZ1:

Take the French FAMAS assault rifle:
[smg id=2648 align=left width=250]

And cross with a standard air-driven roofing nailer:
[smg id=2651 align=left width=250]

And you get:
[smg id=2649 align=left width=250]

Another one I mentioned before is the smg carried by Helghast officers:
[smg id=2634 align=left width=250]

Which looks like a cross between an Uzi:
[smg id=2652 align=left width=250]

And the Russian Bizon SMG:
[smg id=2650 align=left width=250]

It's pretty cool how they took images that we know from military and industrial history and combined them to create things that are futuristic and different, yet familiar and believable.  Makes me excited for what they will come up with for KZ3. 

Art Blade

That standard air-driven roofing nailer is a fun weapon in HitMan:BloodMoney. I used to staple the tongues of some foes to the roof of their mouths. Standard procedure. Aimed and fired through the back of their necks, that is.  :-D

mmosu

You're a sick man . . . and you'd enjoy the Killzone bolt gun that Space was talking about earlier (another tool that gets "repurposed" during the course of the game :-D)

Art Blade

I like it when you talk dirty  ;D Have I mentioned that I set them on fire when they were nailed to the wall?

mmosu

This bolt gun sets them on fire for you  ;D

Actually, there was a bolt gun in Hitman: Contracts. It appeared in the slaughterhouse mission (the one where you kill the "meat king").  It was just like the spring-loaded spike guns they use in real slaughter houses to put the cows down quickly and painlessly.  You could walk around and bust people in the backs of the heads with it.  Instant kill with no noise, and if you were disguised like a butcher then carrying it didn't arouse any suspicion.

JRD

You mean like that psycho Javier Barden in No Country for Old Man?

That was wicked  >:D

When I saw the picture of the air driven nailer I thought it was a fancy hair dryer... but it wouldn't be of much use after pulling that trigger... I'm talking about your head, of course!  ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Hehehe, I remember both that mission from Hitman (I loved that level) and the film.. hell, yes, that was a awesome "tool" in that film  ;D

mmosu

Haven't seen that one, heard it was messed up though.  Maybe I should check it out . . .

fragger

So I take it that henceforth the expression "nailing enemies" is to be taken in its most literal sense :-()

Quote from: JRD on November 11, 2010, 11:20:54 AM
When I saw the picture of the air driven nailer I thought it was a fancy hair dryer...

So did I. That thing would give you a really bad hair day :o

Art Blade

That particular hair dryer is kind of mind-blowing...

mmosu

Speaking of things catching on fire . . . Art, your avatar!!!  ;D

Art Blade

fragger

Nice flaming avatar, Art :-X :-D

Art Blade

mmosu

I have to say, I'm really digging MP on this game.  I've got quite a few online games under my belt now - some of them have been pretty big and I've even got to be the star in a few of them, which is something I've never been able to say in any online play before  :-X  One thing I can appreciate is how well laid-out the MP levels are.  It's to the point that good strategy and judicious use of cover and angles can overcome the lightning fast, Mountain Dew fueled snap-shooting reflexes of a teenager that plays 8 hours a day (which is something that has always discouraged me from getting involved in other online shooters).  I guess it's true what they say - age and treachery will always triumph over youth and physical ability  :-D 

Tags:
🡱 🡳