Netflix

Started by PZ, September 27, 2010, 01:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

My wife wants to ditch out satellite TV service, so she subscribed to Netflix.  Because our Internet connection at home is so slow, the streaming doesn't w@&k worth a darn, and we have to rely on the mail to get the movies delivered, so I've not been too happy with the cost of the project.

Yesterday she found an iPhone app that lets you log into your Netflix account - cool, I thought, at least I can take care of business.  When I logged in, I saw that I was able to watch movies online through this app - not thinking it would amount to much, I hit the play button.  It was a remarkable experience - I used the stock ear buds and received an almost surround sound experience while watching a movie - the streaming was perfect, uninterrupted, and I had a great experience.  This isn't going to be for everyone due to the small screen size, but I was one of those guys that purchased one of the original 1.5-inch TV sets a couple of decades ago.

Now I can sit in a waiting room, or other boring venue and have something to keep me occupied while I wait.  :-()

Dweller_Benthos

Just hope it's not streaming over your cell phone connection, or that would be expensive, I would think.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

The iPhone has an unlimited data plan so for the first time I'm actually making good use of the device  :-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'm leaning toward this headset: Vuzix Wrap 920, which will let me watch Netflix video on my iPhone, use it on my PC, and PS3.  Although the manufacturer claims 3D capability, it remains to be seen how well they w@&k in my games  :-()

Vuzix Wrap 920 Setup and Review (read description) Top 10 at CES

Art Blade

Have you seen those Vuzix AV310 wide screen?

Vuzix video eyewear
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Yes, I've seen these, but they are lower resolution than the 920.  The 310 is around 310,000 pixels while the 920 is 920,000 pixels.  People claim that the difference is like standard versus high definition.

Art Blade

OK, I see. Well.. I'm curious about what you're going to do :)

PZ

I'm trying to get up the nerve to make the purchase, because I can only get it online  :-()

Art Blade

you know, someone told me about a bank that offered single-use PIN/TAN codes for single purchases.. Now that'd be a cool thing to avail yourself of it if you had access to that kind of thing, now wouldn't it  ;D

PZ

Oh yeah, I use that method all of the time, but when the purchase is costly enough (this would be about $300), you still worry because you don't have the local store to storm into when something goes wrong.  >:D

retiredgord

:) Hello folks. I was going to let you know my experiences of Netflix but through my daughter's  membership when they were in Texas. They really enjoyed the set-up and the availability of the movies, shows and specials they could receive. Their only concern was their 3 yr old girl could use the system and would que up  as many Barney's as she could until the parents found out. :-D :-D lol. Let me tell you that lil one is good at that. Anyway just thought I' give my opinion. Now that it is available in Canada we are thinking of getting it ourselves.
We just got to wait and get everyones' agreements as to where it will apply to (My TV or monitor first, of course) Updates will be posted as soon as we know  lol
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

Gord, what does "to queue up Barneys" (sp?) mean?

PZ

OMG, Art doesn't know who Barney is!  (That's OK, Art, I hardly know myself)  I believe he is a large purple character that small kids love.

On the original track, if you have a fast Internet connection and want to stream movies rather than ordering the DVDs, you can watch movies online through the same account.  My wife and I were watching different movies at the same time on the same account.

Art Blade

:) It's hard to understand how someone thinks it's worth mentioning how someone else is capable of using "the system" to pile up purple puppets and on top being good at it. Maybe I'm just a complete muppet not to know diddly-squat about this but this is how things tend to go in life.  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳