AP: Gadgets and their benefits

Started by Art Blade, September 21, 2010, 06:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Something that doesn't seem so important or useful when new to the game but the more I play, the more I see the benefits.

• Most gadgets can be placed on about any surface or thrown so they will set off like a hand grenade.
  • You can't place more than 5 gadgets, or the oldest one will be removed by placing the newest one.
  • Explosive gadgets will set off nearby placed gadgets.
  • You can shoot gadgets to set them off.
  • Many of those gadgets can be upgraded ("Mk1, Mk2, Mk3") expanding their effectiveness. Upgrades will be available just the same as gadgets at the arms dealer (clearinghouse).

Starting with Flash Bangs.

The least useful thing I thought for a long time until I wanted to test something new (those flash bangs). Can you imagine my surprise when it just so happened that I threw one at the feet of a mob boss during a boss-fight and surprise, he was stunned.. and I could take him out with martial arts (as per option when you're close enough for that: either kill or knock out, rather than bluntly attacking him). I tried that with various opponents and it worked with all but major bosses (like Brayko, Omen Deng and Championchik are almost not affected, at least they can't be taken out with a martial arts option, but you can attack them with anything else).

Funny things to do: Plant a Flash Bang on the ground and not far from it an incendiary bomb. So they don't run away from the flames once they set off those gadgets ;D Or, throw a FB first and an incendiary bomb next. Always nice to watch  ;D Or, stun people with FBs and then run over and knock them out while they can't defend themselves (remember that for boss-fights).

Shock 50 people with them and your carrying capacity per slot will be increased by 1 (3 rather than 2).

Shock Traps

They don't kill people but incapacitate them, they are very silent and can be used (thrown) to take out turrets or human opponents. I use those a lot, especially as placed traps. Pay attention to upgrade kits so you'll be able to stun more than one person at once with those.

EMPs

Thrown at electronic equipment such as cameras or used for bypassing alarm panels, instantly hacking computers or braking locks, they are very useful.

Use them 25 times and your carrying capacity will be increased by one per slot (3 rather than 2).

Incendiary Bombs

Thrown or placed, very effective. I like to use them after stunning people with Flash Bangs. They explode and set everything and everybody on fire within a reasonable radius.

Set 25 people on fire and your carrying capacity per slot will be increased by 1 (6 rather than 5).

Radio Mimic

Used to shut off alarms remotely.

Sound Generator

Aim with your weapon so you know where that gadget will go off once you press the corresponding key. It will send a sound precisely to the spot you're aiming at and nearby guards will go alert and check it out.

Funny things to do: Place some explosive gadget first (unnoticed) and hide somewhere so you can still see that trap, then aim and "fire" your sound generator at it.. and watch guards blow up, set on fire, whatever ;D

Remote Mines

Thrown like grenades they will blow up on their own or placed to be detonated at your discretion. You can select other gadgets once you placed a remote mine and the next time you select those mines you'll see the remote control.

Fun stuff: Place a few incendiary bombs and a remote mine in between.. then set them all off at once  ;D

Explosive Grenades

Well, they blow up anything. I like to place them as a deadly trap :)

Epinephrine Spray

In my opinion not really useful. Wears off too quickly and ability (skills), armour suit upgrades or weapon upgrades are more effective.

First Aid Injection

If you're a hazardous player you may want some of those, but usually there are enough first aid kits on walls scattered around levels in case you really need to refill your health bar. Better invest AP points in abilities that improve your health instead.

I guess that's about it  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳