AP: Ammo Pouches (upgrade for armour suits)

Started by Art Blade, September 21, 2010, 05:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I was particularly interested in ammo pouches and how much extra ammo they actually carry. They are called "ammo pouch" and "ammo netting" but I'll refer to them as small and big ammo pouches. Today I finally experimented with those and found out a couple of things. For example:

• you can equip pouches before the mission starts and then change your upgrade during the mission without losing any ammo. Same with weapon clips: Start with oversize and during mission change to your preferred clip :)
  • it doesn't matter in which order or upgrade slot you use them

The amount of ammo given in the table below may differ from your game because

• you're using a different weapon model (I used a UC Commissar and a Samael Assassin)
  • you simply haven't collected/bought the same amount of ammo
  • you don't have perks that increase ammo capacity
  • you're using a smaller clip (apparently the type of ammo you had equipped when you finished your last mission will be in your clip when starting a new mission, so equip an oversized clip and maybe an internal magazine before a new mission which will increase your "favourite" ammo capacity)

But now let's have a look:

No ammo pouches |Small ammo pouch |Big ammo pouch |Both ammo pouches
Pistol tranquiliser rounds
68 +0
70 +2
74 +6
77 +9(!)
(oversized clip: 87
+internal magazine: 89
)
Pistol ammo
112 +0
117 +5
125 +13
130 +18
Pistol steel core rounds
56 +0
58 +2
62 +6
65 +9(!)
Assault Rifle APDS rounds
135 +0
141 +6
150 +15
156 +21
Assault Rifle ammo
314 +0
326 +12
344 +30
356 +42
Assault Rifle subsonic rounds
(* I didn't have more)
126* +0
126*
126*
126*

What I find striking is that equipping both pouches allows you to carry more ammo than the sum of both when equipped separately suggests. Also, that it doesn't affect both of my weapons.

I only use pistol and assault rifle so I have no idea what happens with SMGs or shotguns.

In general, I think that the effect described by the vendors at the clearinghouse ("increases/greatly increases Ammunition Carrying Capacity") is exaggerated. Considering that those pouches cost a large sum of money ($6,500 + $17,500 = $24,000) and the special ammo types (other than "<weapon> ammo") either cost large amounts of money (something like 30 rounds for $4,000 and you can only buy 2x30 rounds unless you've run out of those) or can only be found randomly during some missions...

I think you should only buy those pouches if you are stinking rich  ;D

Edit:
Just to prove it, I used regular pistol ammo when I last finished the mission, and now with both pouches, oversized clip and internal magazine I got:

65 tranquiliser rounds
154 pistol ammo
65 steel core rounds

The result with my assault rifle is different (can't see a rule behind its changes) -- I was using APDS rounds during my last mission and therefore I didn't have as many left (116) as when creating the original table. The other difference is regular assault rifle ammo, 312, for some reason. The total amount of ammo is far less than when having the pistol equipped with tranquiliser rounds: 554 compared to 638 = 84 rounds less!
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

had to edit because I only now had an idea that indeed payed off  ;D

Basically: Before a mission equip any upgrade that increases your ammo capacity (with your last mission's last equipped ammo for that weapon) -> pouches and weapon upgrades.

You can't swap weapon models during a mission, though, so you'll keep the weapon which you had chosen before the mission started. But once the mission started, swap those upgrades to whatever upgrade you favour, and you can do that with any upgrade for any part of your gear (like, armour suit upgrades).

Outsmarting the game  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

or the game is outsmarting me..  :-\\ see orange edit in the first post. For some reason it doesn't always add up so well. ????

Art Blade

This time I payed attention to how I end a mission: swapped the desired upgrades and ammo type and left. The next mission indeed had the desired extra amount of ammo for the respective weapon and ammo type (both weapons) :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳