Borderlands soundtrack

Started by JRD, September 21, 2010, 03:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Made a playlist at the office and am listening to the great soundtrack they put together for Borderlands!  8)

It helps if your boss is in Ibiza and you have to wait for the computer to finish a loooooong calculation  :-D

Tracks 1 and 2 are, respectively, the end credits theme and the intro song, which are just great. All other tracks are ingame music playing as you mind your vault key hunt through Pandora and are great for setting the mood during firefights! tracks 7,8,9,12 and 14 are among my favorites!

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 01 - No Heaven

Borderlands Soundtrack (Intro Song).flv

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 03

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 04

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 05

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 06

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 07 - Menu Theme

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 08 - The Arid Badlands Action 1

FOR SOME REASON I CAN`T FIND TRACK 10  ????

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 11 - The Arid Badlands Action 2

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 12 - Skag Gully Theme

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 13 - Skag Gully High Action

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 14 - Skag Gully Theme 2

Borderlands Soundtrack - Track 15 - Skag Gully Kill Nine Toes

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

hehe, you did it..

Quote(Embedding disabled, limit reached)

The last song didn't embed any more (plus the one you didn't find) means two links are out of bounce. Despite the fact that the number of embedded items has been increased.. ????  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Yeah, I saw that message and giggle!

The last video is playing here though! Only track 10 is missing for me and when I find it I`ll put it in another reply, maybe it won`t go over the permitted embed!

Art Blade

the links still w@&k, no worries  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Cheers JRD, nice w@&k!  ;D :-X

JRD

Listening to some of those tracks and also to the FC2 video eor123 posted, I realized what I like in ambient music in games. Strings like cellos and violins with percussion goes really well to set the mood for games. Both FC2 and BL have a great ambient soundtrack with some really involving tunes with minor chords that brings a sad tone (see track 12 for instance) and are somehow a contrast between the sharp humor of the game. BL brings some more sophisticated musical elements like electronic sounds into the game, but never sounding like arcade Mario Bros or Sonic.

Again, it balance so well and does a great job in sucking the player into the game.  8)

In FC2, all it takes is a single shot fired by you to trigger an action  track, no matter if you are alone in the Savannah. In BL it takes a bit more. If you are alone and fire an accidental shot, nothing plays besides the ongoing ambient song, once facing a few weak enemies, another song with a bit more, say, spice will trigger (see track 5). Once surrounded by foes or facing a strong enemy or a boss, you`ll be plunged into hard percussion and thundering sounds!

Sometimes you are just walking and suddenly pops in a bunch of enemies (spiderants and zombies from the ground, guardians out of thin air, Lance soldiers or enemies around the corner etc...) and the music changes drastically... next thing you know your heart is beating fast and you are all alert, blood cooling in you veins!  >:D >:D

Really nice attention to details!  :-X :-X :-X

Art Blade

Most of the time I switch off game music (or at least have the volume turned down significantly). I'm not fond of BL's tracks so far (without the game at least) and I almost immediately switched off FC2's tunes. If I remember it right, HitMan:BloodMoney had good music at least while in the menu, and definitely ALPHA Protocol has really nice music for my taste and I keep that switched on, even rather loud. :)

JRD

BL`s intro and ending tracks are great songs but I can see how they are not your cup of tea. They are there to open and end the game, that`s all and wouldn`t fit in the game. It doesn`t mean they are bad songs (I love both, actually  :-() )

The other tracks, when listened outside the game world are not good. Obviously, they were made to keep the player in the mood and not to entertain.

I usually leave the soundtrack play during a game for as long as I can stand it. Usually they get old after a while and I just switch it off... on rare games I end up enjoying the tracks and leave them play always... BL is one of those rare games imo.

mmosu

Quote from: JRD on September 22, 2010, 06:05:36 AM
The other tracks, when listened outside the game world are not good. Obviously, they were made to keep the player in the mood and not to entertain.

That's exactly right, it's context sensitive music, and without the context of the game, it just becomes noise.

Tags:
🡱 🡳