Far Cry 2 Video From Console

Started by eor123, September 20, 2010, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

Woohoo!

I figured out how to do it...kind of a convoluted process and the video quality is limited by the standard video output cable but I figured it out.

Far Cry 2 Upload Test
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

PZ

Nice - glad that you got it sorted  :-X

JRD

That's a nice video eor123!

FC2 still lokking great, even two years after release!  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

That is fantastic, I like the camera and cuts.. pictures (pace) match the music.. top notch, Eeyore  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I went into FC2 for a few minutes and promptly got my a$$ whipped.  :-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Very nice eor123!  I am impressed.   :-X

I think it's interesting how each of us have a mind's eye picture of what FC2 is most personified by.  If nothing else one of the things I've enjoyed most here at OWG is getting glimpses of how all you other guys texturally perceive the game.  The way that though the scripted experiences are commonly shared, we each still manage to take something different away from it.

In your video I particularly enjoyed you usage of the game's music and how it shifted to something quicker paced as the scene cuts became more tension filled and then matched the initial explosions in the Wheelegol footage and the action sequences culminating with the musical emphasis synced with the metal rod being pulled out of the leg during a first aid scene and drifting musically slower into the more surreal feel of a buddy rescue.

Your video also made me realize that I'd never seen the bridge drop on the barge from that perspective before because I've always been too focused on the fight that was coming up behind us and I've hung around to protect my BB.  I'm going to have to make a save right before that happens next time and load god mode so I can drop off the bridge in a few places to get in nice and close.

Let the BB fend for themselves for a change.  At least for several game reloads while I enjoy a front row seat for the fun.  8)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

mmosu

Nice Eor!  :-X
Would you mind explaining your "convoluted process"?  I'd love to do some video capture from Borderlands!

Dweller_Benthos

I don't know how most consoles are configured, but I would expect they have a video out option, either via S-video or RCA composite cables. Or both. It should only be a matter of hooking the correct cables to a DVR/VCR or the input of a capture card in a PC and hitting record, then play your game. At most, you might have to go to Radio Shack and get a $5 RCA splitter if your console has only one set of outputs.

My question, after watching the great video, is how did you do the free float / follow shots? Pretty neat.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on September 21, 2010, 12:36:54 PMMy question, after watching the great video, is how did you do the free float / follow shots? Pretty neat.

my exact thoughts  :)

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on September 21, 2010, 12:36:54 PM
My question, after watching the great video, is how did you do the free float / follow shots? Pretty neat.
Although I'm just guessing because I can't recall, isn't at least part of the movie those clips that automatically play if you leave the controller untouched for a while?

JRD

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on September 21, 2010, 12:36:54 PM

I thought it was kind of a promotional video content on the console version... looks really professional and as mandru said, the music fits really well with the action!

Maybe we have another talent here at OWG!!  8)

Quote from: PZ on September 21, 2010, 01:48:54 PM
(...)
Although I'm just guessing because I can't recall, isn't at least part of the movie those clips that automatically play if you leave the controller untouched for a while?

If I leave the controls untouched for a while I start pushing daisies!  :-(

mandru

Quote from: JRD on September 21, 2010, 02:15:29 PM

Quote from: PZ on September 21, 2010, 01:48:54 PM
(...)

If I leave the controls untouched for a while I start pushing daisies!  :-(

No seriously!  Clips that automatically play if you leave the controller untouched for a while?  HOLY JUMP!  How could I have missed that.   ???

I know there's those little slack time animations where my character fidgets with whatever piece of gear equipped if I'm standing and waiting for just the right moment but I have never seen movie clips.

Is there something like an attract mode that runs after the game has loaded but hasn't been advanced into the set up menu?

Honestly whenever I've fired up FC2 I pretty much repeatedly pound my keyboard's Enter button to quickly get back to where I left off.  I've never taken the time to see if something happens if I don't advance it because I'm too anxious to dive back in.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

I think it's a console thing, mandru. I know I fired FC a few times and went downstairs to do something and after a while I came back to the intro screen and only the PRESS ENTER with the flaming farcry logo was there.

Art Blade

fragger

Me either. Maybe it is a console thing.

Terrific vid, Eeyore :-X :-X :-X Very professional-looking - as JRD said, it's like watching a promotional video. Great selection of sequences, and very well-timed to the music. Excellent job!

Man, FC2 is still a great-looking game 8)

The burning question appears to be: How did you get some of those tracking-style shots? You've got to fess up, mate :-()

PZ

I don't exactly remember how I saw automatic videos, but I know it was on the console.  I think that I had fired up the PS3 and left it for 10-20 minutes while I was absorbed in another task, and when I returned, this movie was playing.  The same thing happens in Assassin's Creed2 - I don't know how many others.  Maybe it is a kind of screen saver type of event.

mmosu

It's a video from the console version that automatically plays after a few minutes if you don't do anything on the title screen.  That's odd that the PC version doesn't do that  ????  At any rate, I was just excited to see video capture from a console! I'll have to take a look at what outputs I have to w@&k with like D_B said . . . there's definately at least one HDMI out and one RCA out on the PS3, not sure outside of that. 

eor123

Sorry...I hope I didn't give the impression that I had edited that clip. As mentioned it runs on the console versions if you leave it on the "Start" screen for a while. It repeats until you actually load the game.

The PS3 and XBox have several video outputs -- HDMI, component, and composite video . The problem is that I do not have a DVD recorder that will accept a HDMI or component video input, leaving the low resolution composite input as the only option.

My plan was to start the DVD and record my gameplay in some of the more interesting moments, and then transfer the highlights to the computer via a DVD ripping / conversion program I downloaded. It converts the DVD video to an mp4 file which can be uploaded and shared via youtube.

The problem I have run into is that the XBox [ and I assume the PS3] only allows for one video output at a time, meaning that in order record my gameplay, I have to use the low res video that has fed through the DVD recorder and frankly...on the large screen LCD monitor I use, it looks like crap.  I still may do it...take "one for the team" so to speak.  ;D

I really would like to capture some of the hilarious merc-speak that you hear at higher reputation levels when they are surrounding but cannot find you. That, and some of the convoys that get blown to bits.  :-D

Re: the "convoluted" process summarized: Use the composite output from the Xbox360 [ video, left, and right audio cables] and feed it into a DVD recorder. Then use whatever DVD ripping software you have or can get to convert the DVD video into an MP4 or similar format that can be uploaded to youtube. You have to use whatever video feeds through the DVD recorder to actually play the game, and it may not look very good.

If one had access to a recording device that accepted the HDMI or component inputs, you could really have your high definition cake, eat it, and share it as well, so to speak.   

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

Quote from: eor123 on September 21, 2010, 08:29:44 PMSorry...I hope I didn't give the impression that I had edited that clip.

Oh yes, you did.  ;D

JRD

We were about to make a generous offer for you to edit an OWG video so we could go commercial, but since you didn`t edit that video I guess we`ll have to stick with that James Cameron chap in the end...  :-(

Art Blade

Yeah, all those guys like Tarantino, Coen brothers, Kubrick.. hell, even Eastwood, we can't afford to be too picky these days.

eor123

I used to w@&k in television and did some time code based video editing but have never learned how to use the software on my computer to do it.

Pay me and I might take the time to figure it out.

I'll charge substantially less than one of the aforementioned Hollywood "divas."

:-()

Art Blade

;D

You do take diamond cases, I hope?  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

OK, makes sense now. Too bad about the console not supporting more than one output at a time, kinda cheesy if you ask me.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳