Game rating: Red Dead Redemption

Started by PZ, August 26, 2010, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Game title
Red Dead Redemption

Category            Rating            Comments
Story line6While there is a linear progression of missions like in any game, the open world nature of RDR lets you choose how you're going to go about them.  You can do missions, or just ride your horse through the countryside.
Graphics6A bit better than average for me, I like the variation in locale, for instance you can be bear hunting in the snowy north, then take a trip down to Mexico where you enjoy the hot dry desert.
Sound7Generally good, the only part of the sound scheme that I didn't really like occurs when you finish the main story line - your character, John Marston dies, and you become his son, Jack.  Unfortunately, you look like a grizzled western gunslinger, but talk like a little kid - complete with "<i>yee-hawwws</i>" as you ride your horse.
Game play7It is easy to control your character (else I'd not be able to play the game :) ) and fun.  I have a great time using the lasso to capture and hogtie the bad guys.  There is always somewhere to go if you're bored with the scenery where you are, and areas have their local dangers.  For instance, wolves abound in Mexico while bears and cougars are ready to take you out in the northeast.
Replay value7The replay value is not so high for me, mostly because once you complete the linear missions, there is not much reason to return.  It is fun to return for activities like hunting though.  Multiplayer is fun - I can only do private, but the game allows you to go through things like the gang hideouts on your own, so you don't even need to have a partner - I wish that more games had this feature.  The DLC is good, and the extra missions you have are excellent.

Final thoughts
If you like westerns, then you'll like Red Dead Redemption.  It is an open world western in which you decide how you're going to play the missions through.  You can just explore and hit various areas, or you can seek out the people that offer you missions.  The graphics are not superb, but very good even by today's standards.  I'd give this game the thumbs up :-X

JRD

I guess your rating reflects the overall appeal of this game. At first I thought it would be a blast, but it never actually got too many followers here at OWG (can`t say about other sites). Thin is: it is only available for console owners if I`m not mistaken - I remember reading about a PC version on the making, just like happened with GTA IV. Anyway, if it ever make it to PC, I`ll sure have a go on this one!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Well, if I had it all over to do again, I'd still get RDR - I based my ratings on an average of "5" so as you can see, all are above average for me.  Perhaps it is as you said - only available on the console makes it a limiting factor.  While not a great game, it is truly open world (once you unlock all of the areas by completing missions), so you can have a blast going to different places (there is a teleporter of sorts).

Tags:
🡱 🡳