Clobber the leader

Started by fragger, August 05, 2010, 10:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

I found a hassle-free way to take out whichever faction leader, Gakumba or Kouassi, needs to be given his come-uppance at the troop rally during the start of the second half.

First, after driving up from the house in the desert sandstorm, head for this Weapon Shop WNW of the Bus Stop. Ditch the weapons you found in the desert house (especially that cruddy mortar) and grab whatever takes your fancy, but make sure a sniper rifle is included in your loadout:

[smg id=2461 width=400 align=center]

Next, follow this route to the indicated landscape feature. "X" is the target's position. You won't encounter any patrols along this route, but make sure you pass well between the GPs on the east-west road halfway up:

[smg id=2462 width=400 align=center]

The landscape feature is a grassy knoll - always a good choice for a hidden assassin ;):

[smg id=2463 width=400 align=center]

Go to the top of the knoll and look NW, you'll see this rock:

[smg id=2465 width=400 align=center]

Get on top of the rock and look about due east, and focus on the bunch of rocks in the distance. Gakumba or Kouassi will be about here (just his head and shoulders will be visible above the right-hand rock):

[smg id=2466 width=400 align=center]

[smg id=2467 width=400 align=center]

Take a careful head shot, then get out of Dodge. Retrace your route in (you can follow your own tracks that you left in the grass on the way up), then either return to the Weapon Shop or head straight on down to Sefapane, your choice. One round expended, mission complete!

mandru

Nice tutorial fragger.  :-X

I'd never thought about taking the faction leaders from that direction.  I'll have to give that a try the next time I don't get invited to that party.  ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

That`s amazing fragger my mate!

I once wrote an article about my goodbye to Leon Gakumba in that very same spot. I even used the same tree as cover!  8)

If you look carefully, you`ll see a cheesy "JRD loves JC" carved in that tree!  :-D

Funny... it`s a pretty old article - images are still hosted at imageshack, our first method of getting images into our posts!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mandru

Nice article JRD.  The feel, the voice tone and narration really dropped me right into the moment :-X

I'd not come across that before.  Thanks for linking it.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

I always use that or a similar route from the arms dealer, park my jeep or whatever behind a knoll just there and take out the leader but not as nicely as described above. Because 99 in 100 times I bloody want to kill everything that moves over there  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

On my last playthrough I tossed all my molotovs from a higher ground, then started running around the area torching everything with my flamethrower and trapping all mercs in a ring of fire.

It was a great move... when the BBQ was over, I only had to walk in and shoot a couple mercs or slice some guys on the ground! Needless to say, the "Mission complete" message popped in during the fun >:D >:D >:D >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mmosu

Great read fragger!   :-X :-X :-X
I did this one ->  :o as I read your description because I took Kouasi out from this exact spot on my first playthrough.  I found it by complete accident, put a round through his throat right in the middle of his speech, and then when the goon squad jumped in their jeeps to come and get me I set the grass ablaze with grenades and hoofed it outta there!!

Art Blade

I just can't stand the thought of leaving anybody behind. So I kill them before I leg it.  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Nice story - my first method was to go to the overlook on the east side of where the faction leader stands - there is a place that looks kind of like a machine gun emplacement.  First, I'd shoot the leader and then throw Molotovs which kept most of the mercs from following me as I ran behind the hills back south.  Once I even managed to kill the faction leader just by tossing Molotovs and running  :-()

On later plays through, I did as you now write about - however I usually steal the Unimog at the post in the middle of nowhere, west of the rally.  Lots of fun no matter which method you choose.  In fact, the only direction I'd not tried was approach from the north.

Art Blade

I just realised I didn't say how much I liked those screenies with comments and drawings in them, excellent  :-X

fragger

Cheers guys, even if some of my fellow explorers actually found that spot first ;D

And thanks muchly, Art :)

eor123

I go the same general area and lob a single mortar round from the M79.

End of speech.

;D
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳