Flora Guillen buddy missions

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2009, 08:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

The first is to destroy a weapons cache at the Cattle Xing. Approach from the north, sneak in, one IED at the weapons pile in the building, and sneak back out before detonating.

[smg id=4813]

The second is to destroy a convoy of furniture (no kidding!) that some bigwig is getting delivered. Whatever. Anyway, the best way to get this one is to plant some IEDs in the narrow canyon behind the safe house, wait for the convoy to get close, and detonate. Otherwise, they wander around the desert and you best use a grenade launcher, or snipe the drivers.

[smg id=4811]
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I recall those missions, and in fact I had fun with the furniture convoy one the last play through the game.  Like a fool, I went in there with only a golden AK, a 6P9, and a dart rifle (too much of a hurry I guess).  So my dilemma was how to complete the mission without having to go back and change weapon sets.  My solution was to park my assault truck sideways in the narrowest part of the canyon and wait behind it for the convoy to arrive.  Sure enough, they couldn't get past it so the traffic bottle-necked.  A funny thing - the truck driver exited his vehicle and started running away!  After gunning the AI, I took the big truck back to the bus stop and threw a grenade at it just before hopping a bus back to town for another mission.

Thanks for posting D_B, and I'll get your mission recommendations entered into new pages.  BTW, the way you're posting the images via imageshack is outstanding - easy to download and incorporate into the pages.  I like your screen cap of the ammo pile at the cattle ranch.  I plan to add shots like that to the mission pages so users can see actual pics of the mission areas in addition to the maps.

spaceboy

nice one pzrzao, I like the traffic jam and the run away driver.  One time I had to destroy a convoy (early on during first play through) and the stopped their circuit.  Which was strange as it hadn't happened to me since but at the time I thought it was normal and that you couldn't "wait" for them to drive past.  Anyways, I wound up hiking over to where they were at and they were all out of their trucks (both big and small) just hanging out.  It's great how the AI does different stuff - it's probably subtle to most gamers but I seem to always be amazed when I hear others stories. 
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

That's a good one that I've not noticed before - I too enjoy observing what the AI are doing in their spare time.  Reminds me of the posts you made regarding the AI relieving themselves - the interesting thing is that until you pointed it out, I didn't realize that there was another fine detail to check out.

It all adds to the richness of the experience, and I hope that I'll be able to find other games like this.  Speaking of other games, I hear that Ubi is releasing a western-themed game this summer called something like (Call of Juarez).

spaceboy

I'll have to see what I can learn on Call of Juarez.  That could be quite interesting.  Based on what I know you like about FC2 and these upcoming games, you might want to put Infamous and Heavy Rain on your radar.  They are both Sony exclusives btw.  Infamous is due in June and is an open world set in a city, more sci fi than shooter, but supposedly your interactions with inhabitants will be organic and they will react to you based on your previous exploits (help people or cause destruction).  It sounds good.  Heavy Rain doesn't have much out on it (late 2009 release) but it is supposed to have a real moral dilemma or something and looks to have AI interactions.  Another open world game due this summer is Prototype. 

I get GameInformer (from gamestop, it's a good mag), and Official Playstation Mag (ok, but not as good as gameinformer).  I try to learn as much as possible about upcoming games to make good choices.  It certainly worked on FC2!

PZ

Appreciate the heads up on the gamer mag - the games you mentioned sound intriguing although it's difficult to imagine one better than FC2!

spaceboy

Well you are right about that.  I've played a few other games that are very fun, but the only other game I've logged as many hours as FC2 is Battlefield Bad Company - and that was due mostly to it's multiplayer.  FC2 is by far the best single player game I've ever played and gives you honestly unending replay value.

Dweller_Benthos

I shot the driver in the first vehicle, then the gunner, and that caused a traffic jam, but the other vehicle came around the other way from the front. Pretty weird, I hadn't been watching where they were to begin with, then all of a sudden here comes this other truck. Funny.

I played Call Of Juarez, it was pretty good, but more of a normal shooter though. Not open world like FC2. Unless there's going to be a sequel, that would be cool. I enjoyed the first one, it was something different from the usual modern shooter or futurisitc ones like Quake & Doom. Loved the bow & arrow as a sniper weapon. Though you had to hold it steady, and shoot fast or it got more & more wobbly as you tried to hold it like a real bow would. Still can't compare to the crossbow in No One Lives Forever though, which you could pin people to the wall with, then walk up and get your arrow back and the body drops to the floor.
D_B

PZ

That's a good one - the AI seems to be a bit smarter than I thought so I'll need to be more careful the next time. Thanks for the review on the games you've played.  About Call of Juarez, is there a sequel that is coming out this summer?  (I thought that I received an email notice titled Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood)

PZ

I just uploaded the Flora Guillen buddy quest missions.  I've not put the graphic overlays onto the maps until I determine exactly what the problem is, but the descriptions should be good enough to find your way around.

Dweller_Benthos

Seems the overlays w@&k now, try it, see how it goes.

Just looked up Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood and it seems it will be out this summer. But whether it's open world or not I can't seem to find. Not much info http://callofjuarez.us.ubi.com/
D_B

PZ

Just checked out the in-game video and it looks good - someone on their forums said that it is not an open world game, but it sounds more like speculation.  I've always liked the old west; movies like Eldorado, and the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, so this game might be worth checking out.

JRD

Quote from: spaceboy on March 11, 2009, 12:08:53 PM
I'll have to see what I can learn on Call of Juarez.  That could be quite interesting.  Based on what I know you like about FC2 and these upcoming games, you might want to put Infamous and Heavy Rain on your radar.  They are both Sony exclusives btw.  Infamous is due in June and is an open world set in a city, more sci fi than shooter, but supposedly your interactions with inhabitants will be organic and they will react to you based on your previous exploits (help people or cause destruction).  It sounds good.  Heavy Rain doesn't have much out on it (late 2009 release) but it is supposed to have a real moral dilemma or something and looks to have AI interactions.  Another open world game due this summer is Prototype. 

I get GameInformer (from gamestop, it's a good mag), and Official Playstation Mag (ok, but not as good as gameinformer).  I try to learn as much as possible about upcoming games to make good choices.  It certainly worked on FC2!

Let me add something to your post... I know its kindda off topic, but anyway...
Have you heard about a game called Warhound?
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/warhound/news.html?sid=6166887&mode=previews
You play a mercenary and must accept missions around the world. As you progress into the game you are supposed to become a better merc by learning about repairing your vehicles, improving your skills in guns and explosives handling and learning to climb!!!
In a mission, you are to kill a guy another merc is supposed to protect, so you also have other mercs competing with you for missions!!
Seems familiar?
Sounds like someone read all posts about FC2 and is trying to put a game to score where FC2 "didn't".
Check it out and let me know what you think about it.

BTW, pzrzao, may I suggest an "off topic" or "games alike" section on you excellent site?!?! Maybe a place where we can all discuss other games without going too off topics!
I know its a w@&k in progress, and a very good one, and won't start complaining that soon... just a thought!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Excellent idea my friend - done

... and I can't wait to check out the url you forwarded - sounds intriguing!

PZ

Just for kicks, I loaded an earlier save (I probably have 100 or so) just to see what would happen because I've undoubtedly forgotten what it was all about.  The character was Marty at about 20% or so, and I found myself at the safe house near the southeast oasis.  Checking the map revealed that the furniture convoy was my mission.  I ran out and jumped into the vehicle and made my way into the narrow canyon behind the safe house - only had a Dragunov, Dart, and IEDs.  I don't know how I originally did the mission, but because if the IED loadout, I suspect that I planted them somewhere.  This time I did something different, similar to something I did in Bowa. 

With my vehicle parked sideways, the traffic bottle-necked as expected.  Killed all the guards and the driver - then stole the big truck (kind of fun to drive once in a while - diesel).  Started driving to the Mokuba shanty town, but before reaching it, I stopped and stuck 2 IEDs to the grill of the truck.  Then, coming into Mokuba via the southern road (which is kind of straight) - at full speed I made my way almost to the position of the RPG guy at the north edge of town.  Jumped out of the truck and ran to a foot path leading north from the RPG platform (this is my favorite attack launch spot at Mokuba).  I turned around and I could see the big truck with the IEDs bristling on the front end, and waited...  Sure enough, the AI started trickling in - killed them with the golden AK.  Then a large wave came up the hill, and you guessed it - foolishly ran right past the big truck - pulled out the detonator and you should have heard the chorus!

A side benefit: the explosion truly rocked Mokuba and secondary explosions and fires spread quickly, eliminating the rest of the AI.  This was the first time I have ever really enjoyed being in Mokuba - the place is usually a challenge to escape from!

What I learned: I can load old saves, check my weapon loadout and mission, and it is amazing how differently I'd do things now than I had done before.  In my last couple of plays through the game, I haven't even purchased IEDs - have done everything with grenades.  It's kind of fun throwing yourself into a prior save and improvising!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

I know what you mean pzrzao, when I finished my first playthough I checked the folder and I had 935 saved game files (F5 - quicksave, F8 quickload does that)!!!
I can choose plenty saves at any time. And the good part, as you said, is that you don't know your loadout, so you have to improvise with whatever you have.
Mokuba is always hard for me too... I'll try come from south to north wth a mortar and make rain in that place, or, using one of your suggestions, use a grenade jeep!!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tags:
🡱 🡳