A software "bug" that is funny and profitable

Started by PZ, June 09, 2010, 08:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I had a great morning in SP.  I've killed Bill Williamson, which makes my next point of contact the government agent in Blackwater - in the Great Plains area that was formerly unavailable.  I took a side mission to help Clara, the nanny of a loser that got her pregnant and out in the street.  My mission is to duel the guy and get some money for Clara.  Poor skills resulted in my death instead.  When I spawned, I returned where I was prompted to kill the guy, loot his body, and return to Clara with the money.

Here's the bug.  Instead of killing him directly, I donned my bandanna and lassoed him, hog tied the guy, then threw him onto my horse.  Then I rode out onto the plains and slit his throat, then looted his body for $200.  I thought at this point that the mission was over, but when I checked my map and returned to town, there he was outside the saloon again!  I killed him again the same way, and was able repeat this several times to gain $1200 so far  ;D

I saved, and tried it again, so I now basically have a way to get an extra $200 any time I want  ;)

tehsam016

Nice tip PZ. I think hunting is probably the fastest legitimate way to earn money. One hunting trip through Tall Trees will probably make you at least 1000 dollars if you kill mainly elk/bears/bobcats/cougars.

Art Blade

I think PZ's tip is really good :) Funny discovery  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks guys,
It was really funny to just do the hogtie/slit throat version, and his repeated appearance makes it all the funnier.

Although I've done a bit of hunting, I need to do some more - it is quite fun on those hunts!

PZ

Just an update on this particular "bug":

I decided to place Harold's hogtied body on the railroad tracks and let a train run him over - quite funny to see him struggling while waiting for the train to arrive.  Along it comes at full speed, and the engineer didn't even make an attempt to slow down (maybe he recognized it was Harold)  ;D

A fine-particle red cloud appeared as the train vaporized Harold's body, and unfortunately, I could not find any remnant to loot.

Here's the funny part - when I went back to the saloon, there was Harold, standing as usual, but this time, he was standing over his own dead body as well!.  Evidently the carcass had spawned in the place where I was to have killed him.  I went to loot his body, but received only a few dollars for my trouble.

Next, I tried lassoing the live Harold, but when I did, a bounty quickly appeared on my head, and I couldn't complete the hogtie before I was killed by the law in Blackwater.  A reload later I was at it again, but this time I just killed Harold where he stood (yes, his dead body had also spawned) and then looted the $200, which I was instructed to bring to Clara.  I barely made it out of town alive, but I was able to complete the stranger quest.

Art Blade

I'm afraid this game brings out the beast in you. "A fine-particle red cloud appeared as the train vaporized Harold's body" -- geez, man  ;D :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

I hadn't read this post before because you mentioned Bill Williamson and wanted to avoid spoilers.  I had a different strange experience with Harold than yours.  I approached him in the bar and he got all huffy and challenged me to a duel.  I went out but the old sot never went to his position in the duel.  Instead he just started shooting me from the sidewalk.  (to non RDR players, duels always start with a cut scene after you approach the marker).  He really is a cheating ba$t@rd.  Anyways, I shot him and I guess because it was considered a duel in the game engine no bounty was put on my head.  I quietly looted him and went on my way.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Cool - I have a save game half way through the missions and will enjoy doing this part again.  ;)

lol, Art!

fragger

Art Blade

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳