Toy Story 3

Started by batdog, June 05, 2010, 02:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batdog

Don't laugh, but this is the next game I have on pre-order. I was getting concerned that my four year old son was wanting to play JC2 and RDR all the time.  RDR isn't too bad if I can keep him away from any towns or ranches or keep him riding the trains.  But I've been on the lookout for something for his age level but with a sandbox feel.  The Lego games (Batman, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc) aren't too bad but the controls and camera are frustrating even for me.

So when I discovered that the Toy Story 3 video game was to have a sand box mode (or Toy Box mode, as they call it) I jumped at it.  There is a story mode which has the usual linear gameplay featuring scenes from the forthcoming movie but the developers decided to add the Toy Box mode.  I think it has mini-missions to complete but otherwise I think the player can pretty much do what they want within the confines of the game world, playing as any of the toys from the franchise.

When I found out that it was developed by Avalanche I was amazed that they could move from JC2 straight to TS3.  But then I realised it was a different studio with the same name based in the US not the Swedish developers that produced the game we know and love.

Anyway, the following link will give you a taste of what the Toy Box mode plays and looks like if you have any little ones that may be wanting something different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQMeN8LatH4

spaceboy

We're big Toy Story fans at our house, batdog.   I've had my eye on this game as well.  It also has a 2 player split screen which is great for family gaming.  My older son keeps saying he can't wait for his little brother to start gaming.  He woudn't be able to follow a story mode easily, but perhaps the toybox mode, especially with split screen, will allow him to enjoy moving his favorite characters around the screen.

I MAY rent it first, but then again, Amazon is offering a $10 credit for future purchase which is always enticing.  :)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

I`m a big Toy Story fan too... the movies makes me laugh so hard my wife start to laugh at me instead of the jokes in the flick!  :P

I always thought that TS would give a great game and always wondered why they didn`t make one  that actually stood up for the movie!

The Toy Box idea is great... now is wait and see how it plays!  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

tehsam016

Wish I had a younger sibling just for an excuse to buy this :P. Seems like it'll be fun, especially since i kinda grew up with Toy Story, have loved the movies (can't say the same for the games, the SNES one was BAD), and i'm looking forward to the new movie. I may rent it for the hell of it just to see it's sandbox features.

spaceboy

Quote from: tehsam016 on June 07, 2010, 09:43:32 AM
Wish I had a younger sibling just for an excuse to buy this :P.

lol - now you can see why my kids are spoiled on video games.  What a great excuse to buy games that I'd probably pass up if it were just me.   ;D

fragger

Quote from: spaceboy on June 07, 2010, 09:53:42 AM
lol - now you can see why my kids are spoiled on video games.

I, er, don't suppose you'd consider adopting me...?

JRD

Quote from: fragger on June 08, 2010, 04:46:30 AM

Huahuahuahuahuahuahuahuachuiwvas....  :-X :-X :-X

spaceboy

Quote from: fragger on June 08, 2010, 04:46:30 AM

hmmm, what kind of grades are you pulling in school?  do you know how to make your own bed?  will you promise not to argue about ridiculous stuff with the other children?  ...probably can't pass the last question I'll bet fragger  ;)   frankly neither can I  ;D

JRD

I once considered adopting an ugly looking, 25 years old kid with a college degree and a proper job to help with my home budget, but my wife didn`t like the idea  ::)

==============================EDIT==============================

... obviously, the plan B - adopting a good looking, 25 years old chick with a college degree - wasn`t even mentioned!  ;D

Art Blade

why... too old? Can't teach them tricks at that age any more ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Quote from: JRD on June 08, 2010, 07:12:53 AM
I once considered adopting an ugly looking, 25 years old kid with a college degree and a proper job to help with my home budget, but my wife didn`t like the idea  ::)

==============================EDIT==============================

... obviously, the plan B - adopting a good looking, 25 years old chick with a college degree - wasn`t even mentioned!  ;D

hahaha  :-X  Good one.  I was going to say at least she didn't suggest a good looking guy as an alternative.

- and I sure hope you weren't implying fragger is ugly  :o

JRD

I naver saw fragger`s face, but I assume that, as a man, fragger should be er... say... man-ish, which makes him ugly for my liking, if you know what I mean  ;) !

No offense, fragger, my mate, I`m sure you think the same of me... and I take it as a compliment, actually!!  ;D ;D

spaceboy

very true, they don't call women the fairer sex for no reason!

Anyways, back to Toy Story  -  what are your favorite lines/scenes?

For some reason I love when Buzz is trying to fix his spaceship early in the first movie and in requesting tape, he asks for "that uni-directional bonding strip"

tehsam016

I'm kinda fuzzy on the Toy Story movies as I haven't seen them in some time. But one scene I do remember(and love) from the first one was when the plastic army men did some reconnaissance to find out what presents the boy got :P.

JRD

I like when Mr Potato Head is praying to the kid to get a Ms Potato Head... and when the cork pops out of the pig's belly and he goes "ok, nobody look, I have to put the cork back"  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

fragger

I thought the first Toy Story movie was a very original and inspired idea, as well as being very funny. I liked the way Buzz refused to believe he was a toy - until he saw "Made in Taiwan" printed on his arm ;D

The Toy Story movies are my favourite Pixar-style films. I'm looking forward to number 3, hope they keep up the standard.

Oh, and I thought the adoption idea was a good one at the time, but now that I think about it some more, I'd probably be forever getting grounded for smoking, drinking, swearing, fighting over the console, and bringing lousy report cards home.

And as for me being ugly, well... I'll let the repeatedly-cracking mirror in my bathroom speak for itself.

Art Blade

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" -- obviously Ugliness as well. Who out there wants to judge?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

TS3 game comes out today.  Over the weekend my wife was pressing me for a Father's Day gift idea and this came to mind.  The kids will enjoy giving me the gift and it'll be fun we can all have together... a perfect idea if I don't say so myself.  Can't wait for Sunday now to try it out!

spaceboy

the game looks and plays great.  The first level is a great little intro with Woody riding Bullseye to save a train - complete with Ham taking a role of an evil enemy in a space ship (this is Andy's imagination).  I watched my son play and it looked great.  We also did some split screen in Toy Box mode.  It also looks and plays great.  We didn't unlock too much but wasted more than a few minutes throwing bouncy balls at each other and throwing little people around.  Looks to be a fun family game that all can enjoy (together or alone - I can't wait to do the train level on my own  :P  )

Art Blade

Haha, spaceboy! Nice to know that you and spacekid are enjoying this game. And to see you're still a child at heart (playing games, for that matter) ;) :-X

fragger

Glad you're enjoying it, spaceboy, it sounds like fun :) :-X

Lol Art - "spacekid" ;D

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on June 21, 2010, 02:55:47 PM
Lol Art - "spacekid" ;D

Hehe, déjà vu  :)

JRD coinded that expression, he came up with it May 2009

Quote from: JRD on May 21, 2009, 06:58:22 AM
spaceboy... its great to see a father reading a book to his son these days.. its something that seem to be outdated, but shouldn't be   :-X.  spacekid will grow to be a reader in addition to a gamer, which is excellent  ;)

edited the déjà vu to link a few posts up when PZ commented on it

fragger

I missed those posts, it was before my time and I never got around to them - even back then there were too many previous posts to backtrack through. I did try, though...

So - great expression, JRD ;D :-X

Art Blade

LOL! I remember when I joined (as member #52, around six weeks after the forum was launched). Before joining, I had been visiting the forum for some time and knew quite a bit of the topics and posts. When I joined, all topics were marked as "unread" and it was already overwhelming. Because I didn't want to read through those I already knew, I decided to mark all as "read" -- later I wanted to read those I hadn't known, but it was near impossible to find them.. you can't sort topics by date of creation, only by date of the latest post in a topic. So it was quite some w@&k to read through all posts there were, and I believe I have read all until now. Can't miss any of them  ;D

spaceboy

lol.  that's right it was JRD who coined the phrase.  I've got 3 spacekids to be exact.  And Art - impressive you still keeping up with all posts, a real asset to the team for sure...  Just like how you so quickly found those spam posts the other day  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳