Collecting DVDs and Comic Books

Started by deadman1, June 04, 2010, 08:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on June 04, 2010, 06:18:49 AM
No idea  :) I can wait... I own more than 2,000 legally purchased DVDs  ;D

2000!!!  :o And here I am thinking that I have a lot of DVD:s (about 1/100th of Art´s collection)

Art Blade

I started with one DVD (the first one was "Matrix"), then another one, and another... I kept buying all those films I knew I liked just so I could watch them for the first time in English (or Spanish) rather than having to sustain a German dubbed version and kept buying promising films. Now I have slowed down significantly, buy a new DVD once in a while, and I don't buy everything there is. 99% of the films I've got are what I call "good" which leaves me with like 20 DVDs of halfways crappy stuff - not a bad quota :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

It´s the same for me, I onky buy films that I know I´ll enjoy watching several times. But there has been the odd one that looks good when you read the cover but it turns out it´s really bad when you watch it, at those times I´m glad I try and wait until I find them in the bargain bin.

Art Blade

yeah :) Funny side effect: When I happen upon a TV guide, I take a look and think "most of those programmes are crap, so are most of the films, but that particular one is a good idea... hah, of course I've got it on DVD already... I'm going to watch it again"  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I guess I mentioned it here sometime... but again... I moved places so many time I left behind countless DVDs, CDs, books, a nice bike (wouldn`t fit the moving truck  :( ) and so on... so my DVD collection is kept on a drawer  ::)

My plans for the future are to invest some cash on a place to live - house or apartment - where I will start keeping some stuff. The wife is really fond of keeping stuff tidy and collecting quality entertainment as well as art (she is an extremely gifted artist and I live with brushes, canvas and ink cans around me  8) ).

Will re-start my collection of comic books. I probably won`t buy those monthly issues that not only never ends, but usually get splitted into two or more titles so kids (and big kids) have to buy more comic books every time. Instead, I`ll stick to special issues or rare comics. I still own some Frank Miller`s Elektra Saga, Lives and Assassin, all original prints. I have also a new issue of Watchmen - excellent story, very nice movie, they only screwed up one tiny bit in the end). Batman has great solo issues like Dark Knight returns or Year One. On top of all of this I`ll have Calvin and Hobbes and Asterix... my all time favorites.  ;)

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

My favourite comics were René Goscinny & Albert Uderzo's Astérix le Gaulois. I still got some of the first 24 published by Dargaud, of the first edition from like 1969 and later, but stopped collecting those after Goscinny and Uderzo stopped working together, beginning with #25, because they were not as good any more. Great comic indeed. And I loved André Franquin's comic book called Idées noires and I also loved his Gaston comic series. I've still got some of them :)

fragger

I too used to enjoy the Asterix comics, I loved the style of humour in them as well as the way they were drawn. Plus some of the names were funny - Readymix, Dogmatix, Getafix and Bacteria, to name but a few ;D

Otherwise, I was never a huge comic book fan generally, but some I really liked. When I was a kid I came to have a hard-cover comic book adaptation of H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds. I wish I still had this as it was 100% faithful to the novel (unlike the movies!) and was done in "narration" style, i.e. no "speech bubbles". Instead, there was some text, quoted verbatim from the book, printed in a box at the top of each panel, which of course would be showing the corresponding action. The artwork was superb, more like classical painting than comic book-style art. I can't for the life of me remember who was responsible for it, but whoever they were, they went to a great deal of trouble.

When I was about 12 I was a big fan of Commando comics. Does anyone remember them? I think they were produced in the UK. They were smaller in height and width than standard comic books but had more pages, and they were exclusively WW2 stories. Some of the stories were very good, as I remember, and they were all beautifully drawn (B&W only).

Then there's the French Métal Hurlant (re-released or imitated as "Heavy Metal" in the English-speaking world). These weren't entirely what you'd call comic books as they also contained articles, printed stories and such, and were much more of an adult nature than mainstream comics. Some of the artwork in those was amazing. One of the publishers/artists was Jean Giruad/"Mœbius", who also produced concept art for the original Alien movie. Here's some Métal Hurlant covers:

http://www.pulpinternational.com/pulp/entry/Nine-Metal-Hurlant-covers.html

Having a bit of an artistic bent myself, I've always admired the artwork in comics more than the comics themselves. I believe it to be very much a legitimate art form.

Art Blade

Hehe, nice post, fragger :) No idea whatsoever regarding "commando" and Métal Hurlant. For some reason you made me remember an American comic by Jim Davis called Garfield which I used to buy some time in the early 1980s in the UK and later from a shop which had it imported. Many years later it became increasingly popular in Germany :)

Aw, gosh... how could I forget this: Ibáñez' Mort & Phil (original "Mortadelo y Filemón" -- in Germany known as "Clever&Smart") Oh dear, I loved those, and I bought some of those books (yes, huge heavy books lol) in the original version when I was in Spain. Greatest fun ever  ;D

Here a pic with those two :)
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

source: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:Falla_con_mortadelo_y_filemon.jpg

JRD

Oh yeah... Mortadelo y Filemón, in Portuguese they are called Mortadelo e Salaminho... great artwork and funny as hell!

I remember when I was learning to read and my mom used to throw Asterix books on my lap. I used to read and re-read them over and over and laugh at the same jokes again and again. It's been many years since I last read one, but I know I can remember most of the stories by heart and when I get one again, will laugh as a kid at the same jokes over and over  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

;D Hehe... Some things you never get sick of!

Tags:
🡱 🡳