Funny Moments

Started by batdog, May 24, 2010, 04:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

batdog

There's been some mention of how dark and depressing some of the subject matters are in RDR.  Yes but there are some lighter moments.  Not quite as laugh out loud as JC2 but still quite funny.  Here are some single player examples:

Riding behind another guy who jumps off his horse, walks over to the nearest tree and starts pissing against it - yes you do see the stream of piss.  I've also spotted a dog in Armadillo cocking his leg against the station building.

Stopping to help a prostitute in distress by the side of the road only to find that she jumped on my horse and rode off.  A couple of shots from my Winchester Repeater persuaded her that it wasn't a smart move.

A similar thing happened when I tried to apprehend a criminal.  I was so busy trying to (unsuccessfully) lasso him that he jumped on my horse and tried to make a getaway.  I experimented by whistling for my horse, he bucked the criminal off and I was able to catch him alive.  Whistling doesn't always seem to buck the baddies off your horse though.

Riding shotgun for one of the major characters in the story, we were pursued by numerous horse riding baddies.  Think of car-surfing in JC2 and shooting the pursuing govmen.  Targeting is very easy and the criminals fall very convincingly off their horses.  On several occasions their legs get caught in their reins and they are swung around a few times and flung up in the air. The more I play it the more I'm impressed by the Euphoria physics engine (look it up on YouTube or at naturalmotion.com for some interesting tech information).  I don't think I was really so aware of it in GTA IV but here the physical reactions to being shot are really well done.  OK, JC2's ragdoll physics is funnier but here it just feels more - satisfying!

Random violence is occasionally funny but often bewildering.  I turned up at Thieves Landing to meet up with one of the characters, walked through the doors of the saloon and suddenly all hell broke loose.  The barman pulled out a rifle and started shooting at me, a couple of patrons joined in and shot at me and a couple more attacked the barman.  I managed to kill the barman and one of my attackers but ended up dead.  None of this was scripted as after reloading I returned to the same spot and everyone was all smiles.

Art Blade

Hehe, I liked the bar scene you described... and what tehsam016 said, he killed those who had been playing poker with him. Sounds cliché Wild West, but funny too  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

tehsam016

Haha yeah I dont really lose anymore in poker thanks to the Elegant Suit you get in thieves landing that lets you cheat ;). But if you dont like somebody that's at the table you can get caught cheating on purpose and duel whoever caught you. The good thing is if you win you get more fame as well :).

spaceboy

great stories batdog - I love when their feet get caught in the saddle and they get dragged.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

batdog

After my four year old accidentally discovered jumping onto your horse from a height I managed it last night.  Go upstairs in the saloon at Armadillo, walk through the double doors to the outside upper decking and stand right against the railings. Whistle for your horse a few times so that he (or she?) is immediately below you, then vault over the railings.  Possible damage to your manhood, but cool nevertheless.  8)  I'll see if I can do from a greater height. I'm also thinking of mounting my horse from a moving train, but that's maybe a bit ambitious.  :-\

spaceboy

Nice info on the jump/mount - somewhat related, I am impressed how cool it looks getting on or off a moving horse.

The train passed me twice, can you jump on or do you need to be at a station to get on?

tehsam016

You can jump from your horse onto the train as i have many times. It's fun just sitting on top of the train watching the beautiful scenery pass by.

spaceboy

I was in the coal mine and accidentally whistled for my horse.  I could see on the HUD the poor thing trying to get to me above me.  As I eventually made my way out of the mine (the opening is in the side of a hill)...I see my horse run full gallop over the edge and fall to its death.  Crap.  Luckily you have to only wait a minute or two before you can whistle a new one. 

Wound up jumping the train into town anyways though...

batdog

These horses seem like lemmings.  In a similar vein my four year old caused havoc on my game by jumping off my horse, mounting a different horse and then riding off as fast as he could.  My riderless horse followed in hot pursuit.  I suddenly realised that my son was heading for a cliff so I shouted several times to put on the brakes. He fumbled with the controller but at the last moment pulled to a stop at the edge of the cliff.  Unfortunately my riderless horse had no means of slowing down and sailed straight over the edge to his death.

Art Blade

lol... "if only he had grown wings"  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

eor123

I was amused to hear a prostitute say, "I just hate to see a man with a dry pecker."

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

eor123

Game of poker gone bad in Mexico. German accuses Marsten of cheating, gets up and draws his pistol. Marsten draws his pistol. Old gunfighter pulls his pistol. A few Mexicans with the German pull their pistols. Everyone has a pistol pointing at them.

The German remarks,

"There must be a name for this."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The old gunfighter says, "Yeah, it's called an impasse."

In case you aren't getting the humor, such a situation is known as "Mexican standoff."
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

fragger

Good story eor, and some funny bits of dialogue :-X

Btw, does anyone know how it came to be known as a Mexican standoff?

eor123

Interesting that Cambridge Dictionary says that the term has its origins in Australia?

From Wiki:

A Mexican standoff is a slang term defined as a stalemate or impasse, a confrontation that neither side can forseeably win. In popular culture, the Mexican standoff is usually portrayed as three or more opponents with guns drawn and ready, creating a tense situation. Neither side is willing to shoot for fear of being shot in return, yet neither side wants to relinquish its weapons for fear that its opponents will shoot them. This situation forces the participants to resolve the situation either by diplomacy, surrender, or a pre-emptive strike. Discussions of the Soviet Union-United States nuclear confrontation during the Cold War frequently used the term, specifically in reference to the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962.

This expression came into usage during the last decade of the 19th century, most likely originating in the American southwest, although the Cambridge Dictionary makes the claim that the term is of Australian origin.[1]

The Mexican standoff is now considered a movie cliché through its frequent use in Spaghetti Westerns, B-movies, and the films of Ringo Lam (specifically City on Fire), Quentin Tarantino (especially Reservoir Dogs) and John Woo. Nevertheless, it remains a staple in popular culture because of its potential for high-tension drama.

Art Blade

interesting and funny, guys :)  :-X

batdog

Four hilarious glitches from RDR where the wrong character/animal model has been used:

Donkey Lady: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q7v4F8r9Og
Gunslinger Dog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFoMvLmfFEY
Cougar Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVVXyKP1FVk
Flying Deer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFYiSazZWm4

eor123

Ran into an odd situation last night....

Except for the watching the inventor attempt to fly his homemade glider, I was finished with the Mexico missions. I had brought him the red sage, beaver pelts, and feathers he needed but had to wait a few hours to go back and watch his attempt.

I rode to the nearest town, which is Casa Madrugada where I could save my game and flirt with the prostitutes until time to go back to the mission.

The usually busy place was almost deserted. The only person inside the town was the preacher and he was still walking around preaching as usual.

When I was in my room saving the game, I heard growls, howls, and barks -- close by.

I started looking around for people. Was bitten by a rattle snake as soon as I opened a door. There were rattlers all over the town. I shot 3-4 of them.

The town was infested with coyotes, wolves, and bobcats It was a regular traffic jam in the courtyard with them all milling about. Oddly enough, the preacher was walking around among them, taking no notice. I learned that I could freely walk around them as well. The only risks to me were the rattlesnakes. Vultures were making low passes just above the courtyard. 

I could have stayed there hours killing and skinning animals as they strolled into the courtyard.

I heard a woman scream and rescued a prostitute about to get knifed. Afterward she walked around the empty saloon for a while and disappeared into a room.

The place was pretty creepy.   

Art Blade

Either a bug or an Easter egg? Sounds both strange and funny :)

spaceboy

sounds like I'm making a trip to Casa Magrudel tonight!  crazy story eor.   Batdog I saw those vids and they are hilarious.

eor123

I reloaded the game with similar results...only the prostitute didn't appear, or I didn't wait long enough.

Really strange... the wolves and bobcats periodically strolling into the courtyard. A coyotes spawns somewhere in the rear of the courtyard every few minutes. The snakes can be anywhere. I sure wasn't expecting to find one inside a room when I opened the door. I almost died and didn't know what was happening.

Whenever I shot an animal, the preacher ran screaming out of the courtyard but he quickly respawned around the "hotel" and greeted Marsten.

Definitely the strangest thing I've encountered.

Art Blade

there is one word I know for that: clusterf**k  ;D

eor123

A guy in Blackwater asked for help returning his stolen horse. I chased down and shot the horse thief, literally running into a couple of cops while lassoing the the horse. Right after I lassoed the horse, one of the cops mounted it and rode it back to the owner with me pulling it along with the rope.

When I released the horse, the guy said, "Thank you for returning my horse, mister." He then grabbed the cop, pulled him off the horse, got on and rode away. I was watching with amusement when the cop grabbed me and pulled me off my horse. He then began to punch me. I responded with punches and he pulled out a gun so I shot him.

Ended up in jail. No good deed goes unpunished.

Art Blade

lol  :-X What happens when you get thrown into jail? Like, for how long, or can you escape etc?

eor123

If you surrender, your time in jail varies with the severity of the crime. There is a time lapse cut scene you have to sit through.

Art Blade

(Reminds me of TestDriveUnlimited. When caught, traffic violations cost money, and if you haven't got enough, you need to spend some time in jail, which basically teleports you there, causes a cut scene, and then you're out... sort of in the middle of the map where the jail is.)

Tags:
🡱 🡳