Open World Game with Strategy

Started by Joriko, May 21, 2010, 04:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joriko

Are there any open world games like Godfather 2 or Assassin's Creed 2 where you operate businesses and control territory, etc.

Art Blade

Hello and welcome to OWG, Joriko :)

I'm not entirely sure if I understand you right, because you mention AC2. Sounds like you refer to it as something like open world game, yet you seem to be looking for something like Civilization or Command & Conquer. Sounds like you are looking for a mixture of both game types. Personally, I'm not a fan of strategy games, so I can't be much of help, but you may want to take a look at our "other games" section of the forum and see for yourself if there are any games we discussed that you're interested in :) I'm certain that someone else will post here soon with some better ideas. I hope you'll find what you're looking for :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Joriko

I just mean with Strategic elements. Like the Don's View in Godfather 2 or the Villa in AC2. Or something like the factions in JC2. Just curious if there were more games with "turf wars" or business aspects.

Art Blade

One of our favourites is FarCry2. There are two different factions you w@&k for (plus "buddy missions"), and the game definitely is open world. I say that comparing JC2's factions with FC2's factions... you can pick any of those missions in both games, but I don't see much of a strategy game behind any one of them. Turf war, perhaps, yes.

Really, if you haven't done so already, I suggest you take a look at the "other games" board to find reviews of many many games that are mostly open world :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Hi Joriko,

I'm currently playing Red Dead Redemption and while not "turf" wars or business, there is a monetary system.  You earn money by completing tasks, hunting and selling the pelts.  You can go to the store and buy supplies etc.  Hell you can even gamble and drink your money away if you wish!

I don't know of any other games that really fit your bill, but you may want to look into Mercenaries 2 or Saints Row 2, those I've heard decent things about being open world and may have a monetary side of them, but I'm not sure.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

tehsam016

Only open world game(s) i can think of atm that fit your description is either GTA San Andreas, or Saints Row 2. Saints Row 2 is obviously heavily based around San Andreas, and has turf wars letting you eventually take over the whole city. Space boy's suggestion is good as well since RDR is rockstar's newest, and you can also look after towns by doing night watch jobs, bounties, helping innocents, and buying/renting villas in said towns.

batdog

Yeah - I was thinking GTA: San Andreas and also the original Just Cause where all areas of the map could be converted from government to faction control by helping the locals in each settlement kick out the government troops.  However, I wouldn't advise playing JC above JC2 as although the basic ideas for JC2 were there they were often poorly executed, particularly in controlling Rico.

Tags:
🡱 🡳