PORTAL

Started by deadman1, May 13, 2010, 01:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman1

It´s free to download from steam until may 24  :o so if you have an account and are intressed in a non shooting puzzlegame head over to the steam store and give it a shot (no pun intended  ;) )
http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/

JRD

GEEZ deadman...

I was waiting for an excuse to buy this game, but now I don`t even need one!!!... cheers a lot mate!  :-X :-X :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

thanks for the info, deadman  :-X Sure cool that they give it away just like that, even for MACs!

Yet I wasn't interested in the game when it came out, so I won't download it now, not even for free. ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

@JRD: Portal is fun - once. It's a cool game, but once through, there's not really any incentive to go through again. But since it's free, go for it :-X

Dweller_Benthos

I'm actaully playing it again to get the new transmission acheivement, one of my favorite games lately, cool concept. I understand there is some rumor that there will be a portal 2 and maybe a crossover to half life ep 3. Look on youtube for the portal in 18 minutes videos, someone got good enough to finish the game in that amount of time.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

I must admit, I haven't played Portal for a while, and haven't heard about the transmission achievement. Maybe I was a tad hasty...

Someone did Portal in 18 minutes!? Including the showdown with the computer at the end? I'm impressed! Must check that out.

Dweller_Benthos

The transmission acheivment was added in a recent update, there is all sorts of stuff connected to it. The radios actually transmit information in morse code and other codecs that people have decoded into clues about the next game.

Here's the first part of one of the speed runs

[smg id=2304 type=av]

Don't know where the second part is, but the same guy has a bunch of speed runs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JC2rAES0es

Here's the second part, he moves so fast I can't even tell what the heck he's doing. Plus, I don't think that's the fastest anyone has done it either.

[smg id=2305 type=av]
D_B

Art Blade

Watched it, that guy must have played it quite a few times  ;D Definitely not my cup of tea that kind of game.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

It is different, a first person puzzle. Watching that video doesn't really give you a good impression of what the game is about, though. You have the portal gun which makes portals that warp you from one spot to the other. You have to figure out how to get to the exit.
D_B

Art Blade

If I can't race around in a vehicle or kill someone, I don't think I'm going to like it  ;D

JRD

Downloaded Portal yesterday, will give it a try this weekend!

Thanks again for the heads up, mate!  :-X

@D_B: Those vids are nice, too bad I can`t watch it as it gives me motion sickness again... people should be aware that when you do a movie to be posted somewhere, you should try to avoid using drugs like speed!!  :(

@Art: I know Portal is a puzzle game and that`s what got my attention... you have to think in portals to solve those puzzles... seems cool!  ;)

Art Blade

Enjoy the game, JRD :) (and skip the coffee while playing it ;) )

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: JRD on May 14, 2010, 05:45:23 AM
Downloaded Portal yesterday, will give it a try this weekend!

@D_B: Those vids are nice, too bad I can`t watch it as it gives me motion sickness again... people should be aware that when you do a movie to be posted somewhere, you should try to avoid using drugs like speed!!  :(

That's the problem with those vids, they are specifically trying to get the fastest time (and that guy isn't the fastest as far as I know) so they are hard to follow. There are some speedrun vids on youtube where people complete some of the levels in under 10 seconds. 
D_B

GPFontaine

I am loving this game.

It is definitely worth the download at a cost of $0.00.

Currently at test 18.

JRD

I'm at level 10/19 and only now it begins to show some difficulty, but it sure is a great game!!!  :-X

As GPFontaine said... it worth a download at cost $ 0,00   ;)

This game can come so far!!! it's truly amazing!

fragger

Glad to hear you guys are digging it, it is loads of fun first time around. There's a cool twist or two coming your way soon - I won't give anything away ::)

Once you've completed the game, it's well worth trying the Advanced levels (I think that's what they're called, something like that). You have to finish the game proper to unlock them. There's six of them (or is it eight? I can't remember), and they're actually some of the same levels you've already done but with certain changes made to them. Challenging!

Enjoy :)

fragger

Are you aware that your character is female? Well, actually, she's a female android. Try this - find a corner of a room where you can put a portal on each of the two adjacent walls, as close to the corner as possible. When you look into one of the portals, you'll be able to see yourself close up. She's actually a pretty good-looking girl, except for the weird spring-like things on her feet.

JRD

Yeah... I saw it right on start...
I thought: Wow, I'm hot!  ;D ;D

fragger

Art Blade

JRD

AAAAaaarrrrggghhh.... stuck at 18... all I have to do is take the cube.....  :D

But please... don't tell me how to do it, I wanna try it by myself!  ;)

Nice game, makes you think a lot... could be much longer, I wouldn't mind at all!!!  8)

fragger

Quote from: JRD on May 16, 2010, 02:45:10 PM
Nice game, makes you think a lot... could be much longer, I wouldn't mind at all!!!  8)

As I said earlier, there's a twist, so stick with it, mate - the game's longer than you think...

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: fragger on May 16, 2010, 12:47:47 AM
Are you aware that your character is female? Well, actually, she's a female android. Try this - find a corner of a room where you can put a portal on each of the two adjacent walls, as close to the corner as possible. When you look into one of the portals, you'll be able to see yourself close up. She's actually a pretty good-looking girl, except for the weird spring-like things on her feet.

There's some doubt about the character being an android, and I think the developers said she isn't. Somehow, the spring things on her legs allow her to fall 30,000 feet and not get hurt.
D_B

tehsam016

I'm fairly sure they are based off Jumping Stilts.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq7g-pDZTng
They look insanely fun to mess around in.

Art Blade

I saw people using those, it was crazy  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳