Welcome to RDR:Multiplayer

Started by PZ, May 07, 2010, 02:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

We have a new board in anticipation of a wonderful open world game.  :-X

spaceboy

cheers PZ - I for one intend to go on some free roam rides, co-op games, and standard multiplayer games so if anyone on PS3 wants to meet up - let me know! (PSN spaceboy21)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Oh? just replied to an almost identical post, but hey... here I go again:

Nice  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I think that I already have you listed as a friend on PlayStation, space - I just hope that I can get online with this game on the console.  Riding a horse is probably going to be a bunch easier for me to master than a high speed crotch rocket!  ;D

batdog

Almost makes me want to buy a PS3 just to join you guys.  Instead I'm going to be the lone gunman riding the Xbox range.  Pity there can't be range wars - PS3 vs Xbox.  :)

PZ

You bet - if a company developed that could merge all platforms, they'd make millions.

spaceboy

that would be cool batdog...well at least we'll be able to share our stories and tips about what we find out there.

Art Blade

if we could add PCs to the list, I'd join you guys too  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Is this that old west shooter, kind of like GTA only with horses? Saw a preview for it at the movies yesterday (Iron Man 2 - not bad)

Anyway, I would expect the only thing holding back console owners from playing against each other (PS3 v Xbox) is that Microsoft and Sony hate each other. Well, maybe not hate, but seems they can't get their own networks to run right, much less merge with someone else's. PC owners have an unfair advantage over consoles with the mouse/keyboard aiming system, they would easily beat the console players just because of that. From what I've heard, the same game on a console that's also on PC has some type of auto-aiming to help the console player actually hit something where on the PC you don't need it. So, they'd either have to turn the auto-aim way up to compensate or make PC player's aim more soft to equalize things.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

or just cripple the PC gamers  ;D

Ubisoft programmed in an auto-aim feature into the PS3 version that I did not notice on the PC.  On the console, all you had to do was hold your aim point above the head of your intended victim, and you were just about guaranteed a head shot.  This was the reason for the 6P9 being my favorite weapon on the console - I could realize a head shot on mercs so far away that I couldn't even clearly see their heads.

Art Blade

Good point, D_B.

PZ, I noticed the aiming system is on with JC2 as long as you don't use "c" to aim down the barrel (sort of). The best moment to check it is when you have tethered someone to a gas canister and try to shoot the canister... you'll shoot the poor ba$t@rd instead. It's only a general direction aiming help and I can't turn it off, but it is useful in this game because the controls are so wonky (there you go, "crippled") compared to any other game I know. In FC2 I could realise the same headshots with a 6P9 that you mentioned, like popping a head I could barely see, yet without aiming help.

PZ

Yes, I've noticed that in JC2, and it is bothersome on the rare occasions that you might want to shoot something other than the nearby govman.  However, most of the time it is very welcome.

Art Blade

Yes, I agree. But then again, if the controls were crisp, we wouldn't have to worry about that kind of help  ;) ;D

PZ

So true, but if you think the PC is not as crisp as it could be, you should see how tough it is to aim in comparison using my PC3 controller  ;D

Art Blade

Geez, one more reason never to touch some of those  ;D

spaceboy

Quote from: Art Blade on May 10, 2010, 03:01:33 PM
Geez, one more reason never to touch some of those  ;D

aw geez Art - come to the Dark Side!!!

seriously I don't find aiming bad using a controller but I really have nothing to compare - I suppose it's what you get used to.  The last time I played a PC game it was Duke Nukem 3D and I didn't use a mouse - only keyboard...

Art Blade

Well, space, think about your windows desktop and how you'd click on items there... maybe even think about reading this forum and how you'd manoeuvre your mouse around to click stuff... now remove the mouse and use your controller instead. Get the idea?  ;D

PZ

That's the best analogy I've ever encountered in the comparison between mouse and console controller - I couldn't agree more.  One thing I could add is how you need to type something using the console controller.  Even if you had to use an on-screen keyboard with mouse clicks it would be better than using the controller.   :-X

I just wonder why the PC developers can't get the smoothness of the steering that we get with the consoles.

spaceboy

makes sense.  I do think the mouse would have much more precision.  I never really thought about it.  I guess the appeal of the controller to me is in the analog sticks which provide better steering as PZ said and all the shoulder buttons (like upper right shoulder for firing your weapon - seems like a trigger vs. a mouse click).  I like the feeling of holding the controller.

But what's real important is:

ONE WEEK UNTIL RDR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PZ

Quote from: spaceboy on May 10, 2010, 09:47:19 PM
But what's real important is:

ONE WEEK UNTIL RDR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with you 100% spaceboy!  The only problem for me is that I'm probably on the road for three weeks starting next week.  However, I'm planning to bring my PS3 with me - sad part is that I'll not be able to play any game that requires Internet connection because I won't have one  :'(

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: PZ on May 10, 2010, 08:26:46 PM
I just wonder why the PC developers can't get the smoothness of the steering that we get with the consoles.

As Sapceboy mentioned, it's all in the analog for steering. Unless you have an analog device, then there's no way to simulate how it would w@&k. A PC keyboard is on/off so you're either steering all the way or none at all, so you have to keep tapping the key to steer where you want to. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from plugging in a controller with an analog stick to drive with in FC2 - that's what I used to do when I was playing Driver 3, I had my Gravis dual analog stick game pad that I used for the driving segments, and dropped it in my lap and used mouse/keyboard for the walking around stuff. I could probably do that for FC2, but the driving isn't as critical in that game, so I just use the keyboard.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳