I hate helicopters

Started by eor123, May 01, 2010, 03:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

Nothing ruins a good run of carnage and mayhem like a helicopter. Hijack it and more come. Shoot one or two down, get blown up, hijack another one shot a couple more down, get blown up, hijack another, etc. By the time I get the heat off me or get killed, I'm km's from my objective.  >:(

I hate it when I'm smoking and see three enemy helicopters abreast charging toward me. I have to keep reminding myself this is CASUAL ?

I haven't tried the rocket launcher yet but have found the fully upgraded machine gun can do a pretty good job of downing a helicopter...and I believe reinforcements are much slower to arrive on the scene if you shoot one down from the ground.

The machine gun is probably my favorite weapon.

Interestingly enough, I have found that a hand carried mini-gun doesn't w@&k as well as the upgraded machine gun in downing a helicopter. It takes probably 15-20 seconds of dead on sustained fire to bring one down. Time you may not have.

I have found a use for helicopters. If I'm clearing a military base, I run near the fuel tanks, SAM sites, and antennas and let the spray from the chopper take them out at no cost to me in ammo. Gotten blown around a bit doing that, but never been killed...so far.

I tried the same thing with a colonel assassination but that wasn't a good idea.  ::)

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

spaceboy

I can relate.  It's not all the time, but sometimes they keep coming and are unstoppable.  Last night I had a heck of a time on a Roaches mission.  You have to take down a statue then deliver the head of it to a drop off point.  There is a convenient chopper at the site but the damn cable keeps breaking and the stupid head rolls down the hill.  If it gets too far away from you the mission is aborted (annoying) then comes all the helis - even grappling up to one can make you "out of bounds"!  This is the ONLY really annoying time I've had with the game. 

Finally I found myself  with the head in the middle of the street fighting govmen every minute or two, I bought a chopper from BM only to be accosted by 2 military choppers.  I couldn't tow the damn head with a military jeep.  Then the BM was freaking out and not delivering my purchases (I tried to buy the icebreaker and another chopper) but the ba$t@rd wasn't delivering for some reason. 

My next attempt I will try to clear the small island of all govmen (get all settlements to 100%) maybe they'll leave me along long enough to transport the dang statue head...arrgh.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

eor123

I've had two "deliver the statue head" missions for the Roaches. One was relatively easy with the statue on top of a mountain guarded by just a few govmen. Big transport helo on pad next to statute. Easy hook and go.

I think you are referring to the other one where the statue is in town? If so, that is a a tough one. I blew the statue from a distance with the supplied rocket launcher and drug the head to the drop off point with one of the armored vehicles parked in the square.

Handling was...somewhat compromised. I wish I had captured it on video. Panay's head was taking out cars and motorcycles all over the highway en route to the drop off point. .  ;D

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

spaceboy

actually the one I was having trouble with is the mountain one!  The grapple kept breaking when carrying the statue head from the heli...

eor123

That's strange...I've never had the grapple line break but have disengaged it accidentally a few times. I wonder if you might be hitting the release button accidentally?

spaceboy

That was exactly it eor!

It's because I flipped the default firing from L2/R2 to L1/R1 when I started the game.  This means that my grapple button (now L2) is the same as the descend button in helicopters.  >:(  So basically as I  tried to descend I was disconnecting the grapple.  :(

All I did is I went into settings and changed the firing buttons back to L2/R2 right before I took off in the heli with the head connected.  That way I could fly as normal and not drop the head.   :D

PZ

Early in the game on casual I loved the helicopters because I could rake the military sites, but as the military security increased with progression into the game, I found that helicopters were sometimes a nuisance.  I try to get a minigun and down the chopper more times than I'll grapple it these days, which reduces the number of copters that arrive on the scene.

I would recommend the rocket launcher if you want to down copters, especially if you max out it's effectiveness with weapons upgrades.  For those on PC and don't have the DLC, there is a mod that basically changes the vanilla launcher into a multi-launcher.  The aiming boxes disappear sometimes, but overall, it is a very effective weapon.

Art Blade

Quote from: spaceboy on May 01, 2010, 09:10:58 PM
That was exactly it eor! ...  That way I could fly as normal and not drop the head.   :D

LOL Nice one, space  ;D :-X (I know stuff like that myself, hehe)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳