Select messages

Started by JRD, April 14, 2010, 08:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Lately I found myself with loads of w@&k and other things to do, so I`m not checking OWG as much as I used to do in the past year.  :(

What happens then is that I usually have 5, 6, 7, 8 and more pages of unread messages.

Sometimes is impossible to catch up with everything posted, specially given our growing community with quality members like GPFontaine and others adding lots of content.

I would really love to see a "select messages" box near the messages displayed in the forums, like what we have on mailboxes.

This way I could easily get rid of messages I don`t want to read, like Borderlands for instance, and keep the ones I intend to read today or tomorrow.

We have now a "Mark all messages as read" option, but as it says, it marks ALL messages as read, so I lose the ones I want to keep.

Is it doable, PZ?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

a product of growth a bit I guess as well as your limited time - I also know that since there are several boards I don't participate in, using the "show undread posts since last visit" link is not always do-able.

Back in days of only a few boards it was manageable.

What I find myself doing is clicking that first and then if it's too noisy just going to the individual boards and seeing what's marked New.

Depending on what PZ can do it would be cool to mark entire boards off your list of unread posts though.  But I'm not sure if that's possible.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

For those that wish to limit the number of boards whose new posts show up in the Unread list, go to your profile and look for the Ignore board options option under the Modify profile category.

Limiting the number of boards you monitor should alleviate some of the unread posts congestion.

Art Blade

I could just stop posting and you wouldn't need to worry about that feature any more.

But I won't.  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on April 14, 2010, 11:13:13 AM
I could just stop posting and you wouldn't need to worry about that feature any more.

But I won't.  ;D

I'm glad - the place just wouldn't be the same!  ;)

JRD

Quote from: PZ on April 14, 2010, 10:48:22 AM
For those that wish to limit the number of boards whose new posts show up in the Unread list, go to your profile and look for the Ignore board options option under the Modify profile category.

Limiting the number of boards you monitor should alleviate some of the unread posts congestion.

OK... but I still want to check what messages are there to be read and easily discard what I don't want to read.

It's kind of a ritual for me... grab a mug of fresh coffee saturday morning, or when I get home, after dinner... you know, chillax and check what's on at OWG  ;)

Anyway... it's just a thought, if it can't be done, no worries mate... I can still go through the unread area, check what I want and click on Mark all as read buttom.

spaceboy

I say go to the boards you are closely following first, go through them, then click the total unread.  You can skim through and see if anything jumps out or leave them - they won't respawn in your unread list unless posted in again  ;D
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

That's what I do when I don't have much time; there are often several responses in a particular thread and looking at it one time essentially marks all of them as "read" - the only down side is that I often miss things that I would otherwise like to have read/responded.

GPFontaine

I put a lot of RAM into my computer, and having 30 web browsing windows open at a time is why.

I click the "Show unread posts since last visit." and then hold CTRL as I open a new tab for each post.

I then quickly tap CTRL+W to close tabs that I am not interested in.

It is a bit over the top, but I need to flex my RAM once in a while.

JRD

Quote from: GPFontaine on April 14, 2010, 07:17:31 PM
I put a lot of RAM into my computer, and having 30 web browsing windows open at a time is why.

I click the "Show unread posts since last visit." and then hold CTRL as I open a new tab for each post.

I then quickly tap CTRL+W to close tabs that I am not interested in.

It is a bit over the top, but I need to flex my RAM once in a while.

Hahahahahaha

I used to do the same, in the beginning of the site, when the ammount of messages was easily manageable.

Now I click on unreaed, read a topic of my interest and click gain, updating the list and narrowing my messages. It is a bit tough with 8 pages of unread since I have to browse on all of them... but eventually I read what I want and click Mark all as unread... as PZ said, I end up losing a bunch of things I'd read, but time is short these days and a man needs time for his gaming too  ;)

Art Blade

I still regret what I did when I was newly registered with this site: After having read many recent (unread) posts, I too thought it was too much to bear (probably two pages of new messages) and I hit "mark all as read." It was a royal pain in the rear end to get back to just those topics I missed in the first place, and I think by now I've read them all.

Ever since, I read everything that is being posted, no matter if it is console games or anything, I just don't want to miss you guys' opinions and thoughts, and especially I don't want to ever miss any of those usually amusing off topic deviations inside some of our topics.

So you can bet on it, I will read them all.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Oh yeah... the off topic deviations  8)

wqqll

Post removed by moderator / Art

We don't tolerate people to register with us just to spam this nice forum. You are being warned!

Tags:
🡱 🡳