I finally accomplshed races!

Started by PZ, April 10, 2010, 10:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I actually managed to complete a couple of races, and it was loads of fun - this is the first time I can honestly say that!

The races were water-based.  In the first one, I was piloting a cigar boat and in the second, a hydroplane.  The object is to complete the course before the time expires.

The first one was fun because you actually had to run your boat full speed over a slender beachhead and launch your boat into the air to make it to the water on the other side of the strand of sand.  Man, this was reminiscent of James Bond movies.  ;D

The other fun part of the races was that when finished, you were not kicked out of your boat - you could use it to get to your next point of interest, so I just checked the map and sailed toward another "undiscovered area" which turned out to be a military base.

The game gets better every day  ;)

spaceboy

Flying races aren't bad but only once you get a handle on the planes controls.  Cars are also somewhat finicky.  I suggest rarely using the brakes and just ease of the gas for basic maneuvering.  Hard turns will require slowing down the same way, then maybe a hand brake.  The regular brakes are very sensitive.  Also, in JC2 fashion, you don't have to finish the race with the vehicle you started with, so if you get too damaged or launch yourself off the bridge, just parachute out and grab another one!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Thanks for the tip, space - I saw that prompt with the boat race, but unfortunately there was not a single boat in view  ;D

batdog

There are some tricky flying races - usually where the ring is right next to a bridge or crane.  However, the hardest races by far are the ones that don't need vehicles.  In these you have to freefall, parachute and slingshot your way through the rings.  I've come across a couple of these in the largest city but I know there are some out in the countryside somewhere.  I've yet to complete one.

PZ

Those sound really difficult - although I can slingshot to escape the govmen, I'm not that proficient at it  :'(

Art Blade

we have a proverb that goes like "until now, no master has fallen out of the sky" which sounds funny in this context. It means you need to practice (a lot) before you become a master.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

yeah, I wasn't able to complete the one skydive challenge I tried...
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Those skydive challenges sound bad!  So far I've managed to successfully complete plan, car, and boat races, and I must say that they are quite fun when compared to the races in other games.  When I first started JC2, I didn't think I would do any of the races, but when I was successful with the first boat race, I tried some of the others and they are not what I expected at all.

batdog

Yesterday I did the best car race ever - the Raya Race.  It starts over on the east coast of the main island and follows the main highway round the north of the island all the way round to the west close to the international airport.

It lasted 10 to 15 minutes, possibly more, with all checkpoints on the "wrong" side of the road!  During the race I lost about five or six of my vehicles, had three gunfights with govmen, had time to stop a get the Ice Cream Truck delivered to continue the race and finished with seconds to spare.  I even completed a bonus checkpoint which was up in the air.  It requires parachuting from the vehicle, flying through the checkpoint and then grappling back into the car; almost like skateboarding towards a fence, leaping off the board, over the fence and back onto the skateboard.

Hilarious fun and designed for guaranteed crashes.  :-X :-X

PZ

wow, that one sounds like a real challenge - I'd better practice my driving skills before attempting that one  ;D

Art Blade

sounds great! Reminds me of the island trophy in TestDriveUnlimited when you have to drive once around Oʻahu through traffic; only that takes like one hour or so  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

eor123

I attempted to a couple of the aerial races with the default stunt plane -- major FAIL.

I almost made it using a helicopter...once in several attempts. 

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

PZ

Personally, I don't care for the airplane races yet - they have proved a bit too difficult.  I enjoy the boat races the best, and then the car races that are off-road.  These are relatively easy to accomplish with my 10 thumbs.  I did a car race in the snow the other day and it was hilarious the way I slid off and onto the road - quite fun even though I barely made it!

Tags:
🡱 🡳