Leboa interactive map

Started by PZ, April 07, 2010, 11:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

We've been playing with a new interactive map of the Far Cry2 northern district using D_B's fantastic w@&k as a base.  It works like a Google map that you can zoom to the level you desire.  You can also see points of interest markers such as main areas, guard posts, bus stops, etc.

What makes it doubly nice is that you can add your own markers to help complete the map.  Another nice feature is the "User notes" marker, where you can add your own experiences to the map for others to read.

The link below will take you to the map, and once there, you'll see an overview of Leboa Sako:

• the zoom slider is at the left
  • near the top left is the legend for the markers
  • clicking the "More" link in the upper right takes you to additional features where you can search for markers, or simply click the marker of interest to bring up additional information.
You might set your own markers in places that you like to visit, and you can even refer to those markers in your posts so people know exactly where you are writing about.

Leboa Sako interactive map

JRD

OUTSTANDING  :-X :-X :-X

By "we" I assume you and D_B are working on it...

Kudos to you guys once more... FC2 will live for long in our hearts to have fun with those maps. And by the time FC3 is out you'll be mastering the tool and we'll have, again, the best Far Cry maps on the net...
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

wow, nice!  :-X indeed, kudos to you guys  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks guys - this could indeed be the basis of the FC3 maps that will hopefully come out one of these days.

What makes it fun is that anyone can add markers to the maps - you should try adding something to see how it goes - kind of fun reminiscing about the places you see on the map.  :-X

PZ

Update:  I added the Bowa-Seko interactive map to the Far Cry2 atlas.  The atlas is in it's own new block at the bottom of the main page.  Check it out for a completely new FC2 mapping experience because it is a map that all can contribute to.  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

Looks cool, and I had nothing to do with it except to make the base maps, this is all the beautiful brain child of our fearless leader, PZ!
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

It's not too bad a sign if stuff you created is being reused  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on April 08, 2010, 03:37:39 PM
It's not too bad a sign if stuff you created is being reused  ;D

Hey, I'm just the clerical-type of guy that put it together  ;) - D_B is the creative-type that came up with the maps.  I don't think I've seen anyone else produce maps like his  :-X

Art Blade

I've never seen maps like his. I've more than once marveled at his maps, imagining how he must have spent hours studying the data and the game to actually get all those patrol routes sorted out, those golden AK locations pinned down and all the other stuff we are now so used to. Like, a map just has to look the way his maps look like.  :) :-X

PZ

Indeed - I recall D_B mentioning one time as he was finishing up the main parts of the map that he'd not even had a chance to play the game through yet!  That kind of dedication is rare these days.  :-X

Art Blade

I remember him saying that, too. And yes... dedication is a really nice virtue  :) :-X

GPFontaine

I really like where this is going.  I definitely dig the Google Maps usage and the zoomability.

I have a few suggestions.

* Do the maps exist without the marks on them?  I'd love to see all of the marks eventually become dynamic clickable items that could also be descriptive.
* Can an additional layer be added for zoomed in areas?
* Can Bowa-Seko be included with Leboa in the same map?  It seems like the two maps might be able to be slapped together given the nature of Google Maps.

Good w@&k so far!

PZ

Quote from: GPFontaine on April 08, 2010, 05:36:44 PM
I really like where this is going.  I definitely dig the Google Maps usage and the zoomability.

I have a few suggestions.

* Do the maps exist without the marks on them?  I'd love to see all of the marks eventually become dynamic clickable items that could also be descriptive.
* Can an additional layer be added for zoomed in areas?
* Can Bowa-Seko be included with Leboa in the same map?  It seems like the two maps might be able to be slapped together given the nature of Google Maps.

Good w@&k so far!

Thanks for the comments; I too like Google mapping - I don't know if D_B kept native map graphics, but we could always use the appropriate small icon (maybe even transparent) so that we need not lose any of the existing map items, i.e.,  create a completely transparent icon that overlays existing map features.

I actually tried incorporating the zoomed in areas (detailed area maps) which works because you can embed images into markers.  One of the markers in PetroSahel is structured this way - when you click it, a high magnification image of the area appears.

The two large maps cannot be combined right now because I'm using the free version of the map software (the limit is 5 mb, and each district is approximately that size).  If this goes well, then I'll probably make the investment to run the .php on the OWG server which will have higher limits.

I too think that this might be something that could be an excellent way to collaborate on projects.  For instance, I'm playing JC2, and I've completed several areas at 100% - it would be nice to add screen captures and/or videos plus tax.

fragger

Excellent! Terrific innovation PZ, the interactive maps are fantastic :-X :-X :-X

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on April 08, 2010, 01:28:30 PM
Looks cool, and I had nothing to do with it except to make the base maps

Don't sell yourself short, mate :) :-X

PZ

Thanks fragger - will see if it pans out, but it looks like fun anyway - sort of a method for us to keep a record of our adventures.

The only problem is that there is a limit to the number of markers in the free version.  I'm going to investigate possible solutions.

Dweller_Benthos

I can supply the map in any way you need, just let me know. I have the base map with no markers, so that's easy enough. Getting the markers into a separate file might be a bit tricky, but I can imagine doing an overlay type file set where the diamonds are one overlay, the icons another, patrol areas another, etc. That would require transparency layers though and that usually means a large increase in file size. The layered file I have in Corel Photo Paint is over 200MB and has something like 600 objects in it.

I originally started from the Prima guide maps that someone posted, used those to place the diamonds and gold AKs and guard posts. The rest I placed by taking a screenshot of the location in game with the map & GPS showing. For patrol areas I just followed the truck around and traced the route with a pen on a printed map. That got a lot easier once I found the no AI cheat code and the trainer.
D_B

Art Blade

I've got the original prima guide (printed book) and know its maps, but they were never as handy or useful as yours. Thanks for sharing how you did it... you're rather humble, mate.

Actually, I'll give you another karma slap for being such a good bloke ;D

PZ

Indeed - there is a reason that we created a member group called "The mapper" with only a single member.  :-X  ;)

Art Blade

Heh, that truly is "outstanding" ;D :-X

KingRat

Quote from: PZ on April 08, 2010, 04:19:41 PM
Indeed - I recall D_B mentioning one time as he was finishing up the main parts of the map that he'd not even had a chance to play the game through yet!  That kind of dedication is rare these days.  :-X

Great w@&k guys; multiple  :-X :-X for PZ & D_B  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

:-[   :P  you guys makes me blush
D_B

ninzza

I've never seen any maps like this before. Very cool, PZ and D_B. Thanks a lot. :-X

Dweller_Benthos

If we had infinite time & resources, I could imagine doing a map where EVERYTHING is a clickable link. Click a diamond to get a video or screenshot of how to get it. Click a major location to get it's map and screenshots/videos of how to attack it, or complete a mission there. Just plain old spots in the map that are cool looking could have a clickable link for a screenshot or panorama.

Unfortunately, time & resources are far from inifinte.....
D_B

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on April 13, 2010, 01:06:03 PM
If we had infinite time & resources, I could imagine doing a map where EVERYTHING is a clickable link. Click a diamond to get a video or screenshot of how to get it. Click a major location to get it's map and screenshots/videos of how to attack it, or complete a mission there. Just plain old spots in the map that are cool looking could have a clickable link for a screenshot or panorama.

Unfortunately, time & resources are far from inifinte.....

I tried starting doing just that with your FC2 maps (look at the Fort area of Leboa for an example), but as you wrote, it takes lots of time to make it all w@&k.  Perhaps these new maps where everyone can contribute is our best chance at getting a complete map done.  Several icons on the map are click-able

http://openworldgames.org/MapPages/LeboaRegionPages/NorthEast.htm

Another good example is the PetroSahel area where you can see other items

http://openworldgames.org/MapPages/LeboaRegionPages/NorthWest.htm

Tags:
🡱 🡳