Using death as a tactic?

Started by eor123, April 06, 2010, 10:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

I was on the assassination mission to Goka Falls, Infamous level.

After taking out three or four mercs with the 6P9, one raised the alarm and three rushed me in the brush. I still don't understand how they can see, hit, and kill me through the brush when I can't see them.

Flora came to my rescue and I continued on to kill Gakumba, which triggered the second group of mercs. They took Flora out pretty quickly and overwhelmed me in the building. It was a bad weapon choice on my part.

I wondered what would happen if I tried it again, allowing myself to get killed so Flora would rescue me and be available to help me with the second onslaught.

I took out all but a couple mercs before going down. Flora killed them and rescued me. I went into the building and killed Gakumba.

From inside the buidling, I heard Flora's PKM rattling away as I killed a few mercs at the building with shotgun blasts and grenade tosses.

When the shooting stopped, I heard Flora moaning and found her on a rock that was pretty hard to get to. She had found a very good vantage point apparently and had killed several mercs trying to get to the building. Although I didn't have to since it was near the end of Act I, I rescued Flora -- out of a sense of loyalty I suppose.

After recovering. she even took out one of the two mercs on the far side of the wooden bridge.

Gracias,  Amiga!  :-X
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

That's a nice idea there, eor. Have your buddy participate in a raid... I'd like to try that out myself, thanks for the tip  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Good idea - have never tried that technique to get a buddy to help me during part of a mission  :-X

On a related note - if you've not tried it yet, go into the building after you deal with the first wave and throw a few IEDs into the room with Gakumba, then run back across the wooden bridge to detonate.  This will of course kill Gakumba, and if you're lucky, collapse the bridge leaving the second wave stranded on the far side.

Watch your back though, because sometimes a couple will spawn behind you!

mandru

If I can get back across the bridge and headed down the trail fast enough I've rarely ever had mercs spawn on that side of the bridge to harass me.

I think the key is to be across the bridge before the 2nd wave of mercs arrive. 

Because of the conversation with Reuben at the logging camp I believe the 2nd wave of mercs that show up are actually from the faction that sent you to Goka Falls, not the faction that was there protecting the hiding leader.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

eor123

The shootout with all the mercs after killing Makumba at Goka Falls is one of my favorite parts of Act II.

On one play through it was Kouassi I killed there. He was pretty entertaining before I shot him... "f@#k you, motherfucker!"

>:(
;D

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

fragger

Quote from: PZ on April 06, 2010, 11:04:16 AM
Good idea - have never tried that technique to get a buddy to help me during part of a mission  :-X

Some time ago I got that to happen, albeit inadvertently. I was on my way to help out Frank at the GP north of Weelegol Village after blowing up the mobile radio station, and got myself deaded there (at the GP). Andre came and rescued me, then he charged off into the GP to help clean up the mercs. With three of us on their collective case, the mercs didn't stand a chance ;D

Dweller_Benthos

Pretty cool idea, might have to try that.

As for the assassination mission at Goka Falls, last time I did it, I ran out of the building as the mercs were arriving and jumped off the bridge into the river below. You have to land in deep enough water, but apparently you can fall from any height if you do. I had planned for it, so I parked my swamp boat in a place I could get to it fast and was off down the river before the mercs even knew what was happening.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

that was literally by the book (prima guide) and exactly how I did that mission during my first playthrough  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

eor123

Interesting to read about different approaches to the same mission. Most games give you a weapon choice and whether to approach and escape the objective from the left, right, or center of the narrow virtual corridor.

Tags:
🡱 🡳