Bad Advice in Port Soleo

Started by eor123, April 06, 2010, 10:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

On my numerous play throughs, I have never questioned the advice of the buddy who tells me not to go out the front door of the doctor's office in Mosate Soleo. I believe they say something like, "They'll shoot you if you go out that way. Go out the back door."

And I always go out the back door and struggle to get out of town without getting killed, usually taking some hits and expending health and bullets in the process.

Last night, I thought I'd try something different. I went out the front door, expecting to get hammered immediately, especially since I am on Infamous.

Funny thing happened.

Never got touched. Never saw a single merc as I sprinted straight ahead through the courtyard and into the alley next to the church. Ducked down and made my way out through the hole in the wall.

Don't know if it was a fluke of timing or if that it the case every time.

And speaking of Port Soleo, I shot the suit from the rooftop of the building in the center of the town, ducked and retreated to the center of the roof, where I waited the angry mercs out. It is a good opportunity to hear their usual trash talking and worried banter. I waited for what seemed like 4-5 minutes before getting the all clear. I  first heard about this tactic here.

However...when I tried the same thing on the assassination of the second suit, I never got the all clear prompt. The trash talking from the mercs quieted down and they started the whistling and small talk routine, with the occasional, "Are we under attack" or "I don't know where he is" kind of stuff.

I must have waited 20 minutes. I even took a bathroom break and got a snack while I waited.  I finally gave up and crawled down the ladder. Fortunately there was only one merc in view and he was pointing his rifle in the opposite direction so a quick head shot took him out and I sprinted for an exit.

Perhaps this tactic can only be used once there,or perhaps it was because I was playing on Infamous?

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

PZ

Interesting story - I've never tried that one, but would like to.  I can say though, that there are sometimes "flukes" in my favor that I've not been able to reproduce.

Art Blade

I remember we had a discussion about something like that when PZ used the expression "to wait it out"... let me have a look... ah, got it:

Quote from: PZ on April 12, 2009, 08:17:37 PM
Very interesting Art - I did not realize that you could "escape the cease-fire zone" by waiting it out.  This means that you could sit in a church bell tower and snipe until you ran out of ammo and just wait it out...

And I played on easy.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: eor123 on April 06, 2010, 10:10:17 AM
Never got touched. Never saw a single merc as I sprinted straight ahead through the courtyard and into the alley next to the church. Ducked down and made my way out through the hole in the wall.

Yeah, I recall our conversation, and have done the "wait it out" technique, but what caught my eye was eor123's comment above after going out the front door.  I've always taken Nasreen's advice to go out the back door, and got my a$$ whooped  ;D

Art Blade

I walked out the front door myself once, just for the sake of opposition, and found most of the mercs were just busy with themselves. I also noticed that on the roofs of some buildings there were RPG guys. I could escape under fire, mostly unharmed. What hit me might have been stray bullets, most likely.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Cool - I need to try this one out just for the fun of it.  If I can do the same then I'm going to shoot Nasreen for giving me bad advice. (She was probably laughing as I exited the back door)  ;D

Art Blade

LOL! I can imagine how you go out through the front door, halt, look around wondering why nobody shoots you, and turn around to go back in, through the front door; look Nasreen in the eye and knock her out, with a devilish grin on your face and a mad chuckle coming from between your gritted teeth. You'd then walk out again and do what you have to.  ;D

mir24

Agreed! The back door is the wrong way to go...

Having said that, I did use the back door with some difficulty... Rush STRAIGHT out directly towards a large plastic tub/bottle that rests against a wooden stall. Jump onto the bottle and then onto the top of the stall.

Kinda tricky here because you can fall through the cloth of the stall "roof" to the ground. But with some luck, you can make jump to the next stall (which is slightly higher).

From this second stall, jump onto the roof of the small building, and jump down to the ground on the other side of the fence. Finally, run like mad away from the town!

Or if you were far-sighted, you would've parked a vehicle right opposite the small building BEFORE you went in to see the doctor... ;)

JRD

Quote from: mir24 on May 26, 2010, 07:41:16 PM
Or if you were far-sighted, you would've parked a vehicle right opposite the small building BEFORE you went in to see the doctor... ;)

That`s good advice...  :-X

I actually don`t mind exchanging gifts with fellow mercs in Port Selao... Some headshots and a few grenades and molotovs tossed behind you as you flee keep your moral up!  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

actually that's what I do for some time now: Prepare an exit -- park my car in a way that all I need to do is hop in and dash away, while choosing a spot no short-sighted merc may run into my ride and blow it up by accident  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳