First PS3 recorded videos

Started by spaceboy, March 26, 2010, 06:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

The PS3 version allows for recording in-game footage.  You can set it to automatically record the last 30 seconds (I have that turned off) or you can just start a recording that goes up to 10 minutes.  My slow upload internet speeds kind of hurts this because once you're done recording if you want to upload directly to Youtube from your PS3 (great feature) you can't play while it is uploading (bad side effect).  So the bigger recordings I'll have to transfer to PC and then upload later.  But here's a couple shorter ones that I recorded last night.

The first is just an intended drive over the edge of a cliff - watch the friendly AI gunner fly out of the hatch at the beginning...

[smg id=2127 type=av]

This one is just a funny glitch I found of a roadside vendor stuck in a table.  I tried to free him but it didn't w@&k.

[smg id=2128 type=av]
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

This game looks better all the time - thanks for posting, space  :-X

Your character sure is tough - being able to fly through the air and crash like that without a bruise!

I liked the ability to swim down to see your truck settled on the bottom of the river, and the graphics are splendid.  The eye candy of a game is probably the most important thing for me - should be somewhat realistic rather than space-age fiction, and the music is the second most important feature.  I'll probably get this one too.

spaceboy

You've pretty much described this game as far as graphics go.  All those beautiful mountains can be driven or flown to, there are also pristine sandy beaches with clear blue water, including little inlets with gently lapping waves.

It's so much easier to get around than in FC2, partly due to helicopters and civilian vehicles (and your grapple and parachute).   I flew a chopper from the harbor to an "undiscovered settlement'  turned out it was the airport.   I then grappled to an airliner, standing on it's roof while it took off.  It went up near the mountains and I spotted a military outpost. So I jumped off and chuted down to it - got killed though by the MPs :P

So there are 3 factions you can w@&k with and, so far, unlike FC2 they actually are friendly when you see them!  I've only engaged my services with 2 of them so far.  The only guys I'm fighting with so far are the existing military of Panau.

But even they don't always shoot.  Sometimes they do (well I was piloting a stolen military boat)  they also do when driving, but they're not as omnipresent as guard posts so you can do some nice mountain driving without much hassle (as of yet).  I even walked past a few guards at the airport and they merely yelled insults at me.

So it's definitely a big dynamic difference than FC2 but retains much of the same feel.  The big open world reminds me of FUEL where I'm staying up too late because I just want to investigate (this time drive or boat or fly) to some new area.

That vid, after I got out of the water, I actually started swimming when before long a boat came by and I just grappled to it, and stole it.  Later I grappled up to a road and stole a motorbike.  I'm having so much fun exploring I haven't done a lot of missions.

Beware though there are timed races/missions you need to do earn money.  The driving wasn't too bad, a couple tries to beat the time. (checkpoints give you extra time)  But one mission I had to defuse 4 bombs in 3 minutes, fighting resistance at each spot.   It actually wasn't that hard in the end but I was screwing up the last one because I was grappling up the wrong building!  I was watching the marker on my screen but it was the building behind the one I was climbing.  If I had just looked at my HUD map or pause screen map I probably would have noticed - more my fault than the game.

Oh, and the pause screen map is actually topographical so you can see the relative height of mountains - pretty cool.

PZ

I'm glad that you're posting these experiences because it helps in the decision-making process.  Like you and many others, I'm becoming more cautious with game purchases because I've obtained a few that were less than satisfying.

I love the idea of a big open world where you can do lots of things without actually diving into the missions.  That's one thing I like about FC2 and AC2 where you can have loads of fun and not really accomplish much as far as game progress goes.

As to the timed events, although they are definitely not my favorite, I've managed to overcome them in AC2 and because the game is so much fun otherwise, I put up with them.  ;D

spaceboy

Quote from: PZ on March 26, 2010, 09:06:04 AM
As to the timed events, although they are definitely not my favorite, I've managed to overcome them in AC2 and because the game is so much fun otherwise, I put up with them.  ;D

I should mention I'm playing on "Experienced"   The levels are Easy, Normal, Experienced, and Hardcore.   I almost always play on Normal, but for some reason bumped it up (a friend of mine said he was doing Hardcore so maybe that had something to do with it).   I think this would mainly effect the enemies aiming ability and probably your health

spaceboy

...also, glad to help in your decision making process.  I think overall this will be something you like PZ,  you definitely have time to roam and do what you want.  The two stronghold faction missions were quite easy actually and the friendly AI do help a bit.  You have options in how you accomplish them as well.

For instance, a chopper came barreling in shooting at me and my comrades.  My first instinct was to grapple to it, hijack it and use it's guns,  worked kind of except I was pretty quickly shot down by an enemy RPG.  I didn't die from that but died subsequently.  The next try instead of hijacking it I simply hopped in the handy AA gun next to me and pummeled the chopper, as well as the radar dishes and anything else I saw - earning chaos points and $$.

The vid of that crash was just after this, when my comrades and me secured the place. (funny story wise that to earn more cash I jumped back in a chopper and layed waste to the remaining fuel tanks and radars) and they didn't care lol

But I then hopped in that military vehicle (with the gunner at the ready) and promptly drove off the cliff lol  ;D

PZ

Sounds like a blast!  :-X

Have you played Uncharted2, and if so, is it anything like JC2?

Uncharted2 had me glued to my console for a a long time, and I still occasionally return to it.  ;)

spaceboy

yes, I loved Uncharted 2, but they really are completely different.  Firstly UC2 is a linear game, so for sheer freedom JC2 is better, but of course the UC2 story was very good and you take Drake into wonderfully detailed and exotic locations, so it really depends on what mood your in.

The straight up gun play and cover system in UC2 is better, but again JC2 has more options to move around ie grapple and parachute...and vehicles.  The story, graphics, and gameplay are better in UC2 imo, but JC2's fun and exploration is simply a great, freeing experience.

Like I said, it's all about what mood you're in.  I say play both!

PZ

Sounds great - because you've played both AC2 and JC2, which in your opinion is more like the experience you had in FC2?

spaceboy

hmmm,  well it's a draw.   Emotionally being pulled into a story/world that feels "real" with weight and consequences, I'd say AC2.   But core gameplay JC2 wins, modern vehicles and weapons, mercs and factions, random health kits on the side of buildings lol.   JC2 is more of a romp than FC2, can you imagine Xionyang grappling to a jet liner?  FC2 is just more gritty than JC2.

A side note on difficulty, I just read where the difficulty seems to ramp up as the game progresses which is typical I guess, but I may start over in Normal - I have to think about it.

PZ

Excellent explanation - thanks, space - confirms my desire to purchase the game  :-X

Art Blade

I will purchase that game  ;D Nice explanations and narrations, space. As to the first vid when you do a broad summersault variation downhill as long as it takes, all I could think was "Oh no! It's spaceboy, and they gave him a car! His driving hasn't improved a bit since FUEL, that brutal ba$t@rd. EVERYONE, BEWARE OF THAT ANIMAL!!!"  ;D ;D ;D ;D (I love that vid, space  :-X)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

lol Art,  the driving is a bit like FUEL actually.  My favorite vehicle so far are the helicopters!

RedRaven

@spaceboy,
That big crash video is Quality :-X , very entertaining to watch, cant believe he survived....

wonder how much his car insurance is ? ? ?

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

ninzza

The crash video is awesome  :-X ;D

spaceboy

thanks guys.  lol at the car insurance.  And yeah Rico is one tough ba$t@rd.  You can free fall from 1000 feet, and barely get your chute open before hitting the ground and still survive. 

The map is so chock full of beautiful areas, citizens, factions, military.  This may really be the best game world created as far as variety, size, things to do and see.  There are also a TON of "easter eggs" hidden that people are finding.

Art Blade

Unfortunately I'll have to wait another week or two until I'll get my hands on it, but in the meantime I enjoy reading your reports and also, for those who would like to watch the gameplay on a PC, this playthrough

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrEdxwx#p/u/11/UkvIuEr-aO8
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

I just laughed quite a bit watching this (some "fail compilation")  :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrEdxwx#p/u/2/llhQ1mh5fMs

spaceboy

Art - I love that compilation of fails.  I can see myself in a few of those snippets!  That bubble gun is one of the "easter eggs" I mentioned.

Batdog - you lucky "dog" for getting the limited UK edition.  We in the States had to choose which DLC we wanted with pre-order depending on the retailer.  I went with the Bullseye Rifle.  The Hovercraft wasn't even available.  But I read eventually it will all be available.

Art Blade

I'll try to get one of those limited editons if possible :)

Now I've finished watching those vids that are more a selection of random parts of the game rather than a playthrough. I can see there is a lot of potential, if you take your time. That guy often left a place after destroying some key points when I would have stayed until the entire facility was brought down, leaving not a single brick in its place ;D

Art Blade

Ah, I wanted to mention he did one trick I liked very much. Remember the trailer when you hooked some bad guy to a gas canister and then shot it so it would whizz off with the guy dangling from it? Instead, he hopped on top of one of those canisters himself, shot it, and by that got himself a free lift ride far up, the canister exploded (which didn't do much harm to him) and he would parachute away. Nice one :)

PZ

My sweetie went shopping yesterday and came home with a surprise - Just Cause 2.  Installed it last night, and have already had a bit of fun.  The only downside - we're off to Grandma's house today and will be away for a few days  :'(

Art Blade

FYI
I've split the discussion to continue with
Bratwurst and Curry

Thank you

Art Blade

one more vid of the guy who made the fails compilation; this time chaos and stunts:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrEdxwx#p/u/0/j0s_g0TzWLg  :)

spaceboy

I like that one Art.   I especially liked the military truck flipping at the airport.

I played a few hours again last night.  This game is so much fun, and yet interspersed with some beautiful peaceful helicopter flights (the way I play).

I had a nice sequence where I did a flying race mission that started in the mountains, after which completing I abaondoned the plane and jumped into the water.  After grappling a military boat I had the HEAT in hot pursuit.  I ended up at the airport and kind of lost them as I ran into the foliage.  But they wound up catching up to me just as I was starting another race (car or any land vehicle) through the airport.  The hot rod that appears for the race kept getting its tires shot out and I'd wind up hopping over to one of the MP's motorbikes.  Took a few tries with the MP in pursuit but I'd always lose them on the tarmac and was able to complete the race.  Grappled up a cliff, stole a vehicle and took off away from the airport...  8)

Tags:
🡱 🡳